NEW Complete Guide

What should be in it?

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Nathan Hoobler
AIO Writer

NEW Complete Guide

Post by Nathan Hoobler »

All,

We're tentatively planning to release a new and updated version of the Complete Guide to Adventures in Odyssey in fall 2007 to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the show. We're putting together all the specifics now.

So here's your chance. What do YOU think should be in the next complete Guide? Speak now!

We've also thought of including a companion CD-ROM or DVD-ROM with the book. (This is just a thought, not necessarily set in stone.) If we did do that, what should be on it?

Nathan
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Nathan Hoobler wrote:We're tentatively planning to release a new and updated version of the Complete Guide to Adventures in Odyssey in fall 2007 to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the show.
*is very very happy*

I'll think up some ideas and post again later, but just wanted to say that I am thrilled to hear this.
Sonuna
ion cannon ready

Post by Sonuna »

:D I will buy it.
Off the top of my head... maybe some form of official merchandise catalog. Figures, special albums, books, such in a single list.
"Sonuna" Taranimak ("Sonuna" Sharkquill) has been content lately. She admired own very fine Bed recently. She talked with a parent recently. She talked with a friend recently. She had a good meal recently. She admired a fine tastefully-arranged Desk recently.
She is a citizen of The United States of America. She is a member of The State of Minnesota. She is a member of The Town of Odyssey.
"Sonuna" Taranimak likes Bauxite, Copper, Green jade, the color navy, cloaks, ballistas, cats for their aloofness and hydras for their seven heads. When possible, she prefers to consume Dr Pepper and ramen.
She lives at a relaxed pace. She tends to avoid crowds. She has a fertile imagination. She is completely disorganized. She is very distant and reserved. She tends not to openly express emotions. She needs caffeine to get through the working day.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Nathan Hoobler wrote:We've also thought of including a companion CD-ROM or DVD-ROM with the book. (This is just a thought, not necessarily set in stone.) If we did do that, what should be on it?
Definitely some behind-the-scenes action, perhaps following the whole process of writing, recording, and editing an episode. Interviews with the cast members, outtakes, and producers would be great to see, also.
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Jeremy
Smile for the camera

Post by Jeremy »

Trent DeWhite wrote:
Nathan Hoobler wrote:We've also thought of including a companion CD-ROM or DVD-ROM with the book. (This is just a thought, not necessarily set in stone.) If we did do that, what should be on it?
Definitely some behind-the-scenes action, perhaps following the whole process of writing, recording, and editing an episode. Interviews with the cast members, outtakes, and producers would be great to see, also.
Yes, definitely at least some video from a recording session. For a very long time, I've wanted a video of the actors recording their lines. :)

Jeremy
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Wow, this is so awesome.. \:D/
...I hate marquees.
jasodia
I'm not Gabe

Post by jasodia »

i think you should put pics of all the actors with pics of the people they play. well, not ALL the actors, because that would be too many, but at least the employees of whit's end, the ones who go there most often, etc.

my best friend is pink jeans!
"I don't pretend to be Captain Weird. I just am."
-Johnny Depp
Jimmy Barclay Fan
Classic

Post by Jimmy Barclay Fan »

Awesome. I was trying to buy a 1997 guide cause mine has fallen apart and is in disaray. I was hoping to have a new one one day.
so awesome, Thanks, Nathan.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

A new Complete Guide would be so very cool!! I absolutely treasure my copy of the first one. What I think should be in the new one is of course episode information and I would like to see more behind the scenes info.
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End
It’s my birthday

Post by Evil Chick »

This is one of the most awesome things I've heard in a while, Nathan! :cheerleader: I'm already excited about this! :D

I agree with the other people who have already posted. A lot of pictures and behind-the-scenes stuff would be good. A CD or DVD-ROM is also a great idea!
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

That is awesome news!

Is it going to basically have the entire last guide along with it, or just an extention from the years past them, or just a remixed guide up til 97?

Anyway lots of good suggestions so far. How about a CD Rom with a link to the ToO? ;) Also I'd love to see as much of the older art (especially the Bruce Day stuff) as possible.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Trent DeWhite wrote:
Of course! I was kinda doubting the idea of a CD or DVD coming with the book, but the behind the scenes stuff is a great idea.

Also, I think you should keep some elements the old Guide had. For example, after the summary of many episodes there was little tidbits of info about either the story and how it came to be, the recording session, or other little cool facts. I also think the "yearly summary" should stay.
Me
An original

Post by Me »

How about a section about the rabid fan base? :wink:
Mandy Straussberg
Animatronic

Post by Mandy Straussberg »

I like the basics of the Guide as it is... I would say to keep it the same, for the most part (of course adding the up-to-date information).

The one thing that I always wanted (which is probably not going to happen, due to bulk) is an opposite actor index... where you can look up the character (or episode) and see what actor/actress played that character.

That's the only real addition I could think up.

Mandy
Music is my life. God's given me gifts, and I like to use them.
Spirit now lead me, take me where You will
I long to adore You, reveal Yourself to me
My cry is to please You, so have Your way in me
Completely to bring glory to Your Name
Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

I agree...also...perhaps an episode index with the episodes in order...I don't think the previous one had that.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
MDB17
Lucid and deductive

Post by MDB17 »

you should put a timeline in there
Kenric
If posts were pigs...

Post by Kenric »

Nathan Hoobler wrote:All,

We're tentatively planning to release a new and updated version of the Complete Guide to Adventures in Odyssey in fall 2007 to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the show. We're putting together all the specifics now.

So here's your chance. What do YOU think should be in the next complete Guide? Speak now!

We've also thought of including a companion CD-ROM or DVD-ROM with the book. (This is just a thought, not necessarily set in stone.) If we did do that, what should be on it?

Nathan
THIS IS GREAT!!! Thanks :).

Addressing the input for the DVD-ROM (*hint* *hint* *nudge* *nudge* *wink* :P) I feel as if there should be at least ONE episode so that prospect listeners could hear what we love to hear and maybe they'll get hooked :P.

Also, please try to get the book proofread lots and lots of times and check that there's no story errors (like the last one) :P
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I highly doubt that prospective listeners (i.e. people who do not listen already) would purchase the complete guide, so putting an ep on there for that reason would be pointless.

I love the idea of a new guide, since by the time this one comes out the old one will already be 10 years old! It will definitely be a must-have item! I would love to see it come with a CD with past bloopers or interviews, but if that material is instead put on upcoming albums, that woul work as well. I like the idea of a DVD of an AIO show being recorded! \:D/ That would be wonderful!
Kenric
If posts were pigs...

Post by Kenric »

Catspaw wrote:I highly doubt that prospective listeners (i.e. people who do not listen already) would purchase the complete guide, so putting an ep on there for that reason would be pointless.

I love the idea of a new guide, since by the time this one comes out the old one will already be 10 years old! It will definitely be a must-have item! I would love to see it come with a CD with past bloopers or interviews, but if that material is instead put on upcoming albums, that woul work as well. I like the idea of a DVD of an AIO show being recorded! \:D/ That would be wonderful!
That probably makes sense (about prospective listeners not grabbing a copy of the guide)..And yeah, it would be interesting to see the expressions on each personality's face while talking within their character :D.

Nathan, I have a question. Where will this guides be sold? Online or in stores??
Wooton

Post by Wooton »

What's this guide about? What are you talking about?