Being a teenager

Do/did you like it?

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!

What's your stance?

Not a teenager yet
10%
I'm a teenager and I hate it!
7%
I'm a teenager and it's great!
72%
I'm past my teens, and I'm glad to be done with it!
3%
I'm past my teens, and I'm sorry it's over.
7%

Total votes: 29

Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Being a teenager

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

The acne topic got me thinking: Being a teenager is supposed to be this great time where you have no responsibilities and all these great privileges. That has NOT been the case with me. I have a ton of responsiblities (I have to babysit and clean the house, among others), almost no privileges (I can't drive, choose what I eat, or do most of the things my friends do.), and I'm totally insecure about my looks.

Now that my face is clearing up, my hair is becoming more manageable, and I'm starting to get my figure back, I feel a lot more confident with my body. But it's still hard when all my friends (even the ones who are younger than me) are driving to the mall and eating hamburgers and chicken and everything.

I have to pay for almost all my own stuff (clothes, shoes, glasses, books, music/dance lessons, etc.), which isn't necessarily a bad thing, except that no one that's hiring hires people under eighteen! It's so frustrating.

So how do you feel about being a teenager?
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Well, I had a lot of fun, but I also worked and paid for all my own things and stuff once I hit 16. Other teens who never worked and always had tons of money to do fun stuff sort of annoyed me back then because lots of times I just couldn't afford to go out to a movie or to eat when a bunch of other people I knew were going, and I was the only one with a job... :noway:
Jessicado
Love to love

Post by Jessicado »

I hated being a teenager because I lived in the boonies and getting to do anything social was a pain. I thought my parents didn't let me do anything. I had school and homework, etc. But now I really miss it. I went to a small high school and the social part of that can't be repeated ever. It is hard if you move away to make friends as good as the ones you were forced to spend everyday with. I miss living with my parents. You didn't have to worry about rent or food...and even though I resented them at the time--I really love them and like them now. You may have chores as a teen, but those don't compare to the chores of living on your own.... you have to work as an adult. You pay for everything. etc etc etc.

So to sum things up: teen years were good, but I love my life now too...so I think everything is what you make of it.
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

At least once your an adult people will consider hiring you! Make no mistake, I'm not opposed to working at all. I'm considering skinning deer [shudder] at this point. We have a ton of teenagers where I live, and since I just moved here, they've already snatched up all the available jobs :-(

I think a large part of what I dislike about being a teenager is the hormones. Sometimes I feel like I have no control over myself, and even when things are going well I find myself getting irritable! I try really hard not to get into a bad mood most of the times, but sometimes it's too exhausting to stay positive, especially if you want to accomplish anything else. I'm holding onto the hope that in a couple of years it'll be easier to keep a good attitude, at least when life is going well.

This has been a particularly rough year for me. Whoever coined the phrase 'Sweet Sixteen' clearly had no idea what they were talking about. The adults around me tend to make things worse by calling me a brat or treating me like a child. It doesn't seem fair that my three-year-old sister has more freedom than I do, especially considering how much work I do around the house.

I'm probably going to be moving out within the year, assuming I can find a job. You don't know how much I'm looking forward to it! I love my family, but I like them better from a distance.

I would prefer being on my own, paying for my own food and housing, because at least then I'd have some
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

I am a Pre-teen... :anxious:
pianokitty
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by pianokitty »

not that being a teenager has been anything that "great" its been really fun for me cause i get to go to a private high-school with a bunch of awesome people so im not an "out-of-the-crowd-homeschooler" like i was before. i will admit is really fun to say "hey..im a teenager.." but it really isnt that special. ;)
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Being homeschooled definitely makes it hard to fit in! I'm hoping that starting college on Wednesday will help me to fit in SOMEWHERE. I'm sick and tired of being on the 'outside looking in' at church.
pianokitty
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by pianokitty »

yeah..thats what makes my high-school years a lot better.

but im still kinda like that at church cause everyone there goes to public school so i know no one and there are about 100 people in the high-school age group. i try to kinda branch out and say hi..but it isnt that easy for me.
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

I used to go to a private school, but I had quit when we moved and my mom lost her job. Now I'm the only one at my church who's homeschooled. I don't really want to go to public school (homeschooling has enabled me to go to college at 16), but 90% of the time I feel really left out in my youth group because I don't go to PS.
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

Rachael wrote:Being homeschooled definitely makes it hard to fit in! I'm hoping that starting college on Wednesday will help me to fit in SOMEWHERE. I'm sick and tired of being on the 'outside looking in' at church.
You are already going to college? Your only 16...wow.
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

It's tech college, but whatever. I'm hoping to get an associate's degree before I turn eighteen and go to four-year school-- that way I could work my way through 'real' college.
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

Rachael wrote:It's tech college, but whatever. I'm hoping to get an associate's degree before I turn eighteen and go to four-year school-- that way I could work my way through 'real' college.
Did you already graduate?

Sorry...we got offtopic. :anxious:
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Sort of. I'm registered to take my GED, but thanks to the government my paperwork has not been processed during the last SIX MONTHS!!! So the college said to start classes, just that I couldn't graduate until I took my GED. And hopefully, sometime within the next year and three months I will take my GED.
Linne
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Linne »

At the risk of sounding different, I'm not having any problems with it. I enjoy lots of thigns abotu it, like my parents giving me more responsibility, which means they'll trust me so I can drive and stuff like that. (Personally, I think they're only letting me drive so that when I get a car, they won't have to transport me everywhere. :D )

Plue, high school is a blast. Drama, sports, the works. \:D/
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

AIOFan11 wrote:I am a Pre-teen... :anxious:
Just what I would say. Are you really 11?
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
mr. mellow
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by mr. mellow »

becoming a teen ager is the best thing that has ever happend to me. life is so much more cooler, complex and fun!
Image [img]
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

DanP740 wrote:
AIOFan11 wrote:I am a Pre-teen... :anxious:
Just what I would say. Are you really 11?
Awww...the eleven year olds are talking. :inlove:

Anyway...Frank enjoys her teenage years...but finds that they are quickly running out. What does the future hold? Why doesn't God clearly tell me what I am to do with my life? I guess the only unpleasantness of being 17 is all the choices that you have to make now. All my other Californian friends...they all know whether or not they're going to college or whatever. They have jobs, and cars and boyfriends. And Frank sits here, with her forum, pouring her soul out to people whom she's never even met. I wish that I could make all my decisions now and just remain 17 forever. Wouldn't that be nice?
Country Girl
Classic

Post by Country Girl »

I dislike it :P

Always have..
but it's okay :P

did that make any sense?
Oh well
Agent DeWhite
Tallying up

Post by Agent DeWhite »

Of course there's good things about it, like all the priviledges.. driving, later nights, going places without your parents. And there's bad things about it, like all the growing up you gotta do. 'I'm not a child anymore and I gotta act like it.' But you know, it's not too bad. My goal is to get it over and not look back and think it was the worst time in my life, 'cause it doesn't gotta be if I make it that way.
What do you do when your nose goes on strike?
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Meh, there's pros and cons. Overall I had a good experience I think.

*is scared by the fact that in six months and 12 days the word teen will no longer be included in his age*

-Jonathan