No Death Star

:(

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
No way I broke the window

No Death Star

Post by 31899 »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013 ... ponse.html

I'm more interested in warp engines anyways.
Last edited by 31899 on Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

This country has enough debt and wasteful spending without Obama spending money on a Death Star.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

I don't know how it works in the United States, but usually it is not one person who has unanimous control over the budget. Next, this was a petition, and sort of a joke. You can choose to blame one person for all your nation's debt problems, but your debt problems go much further back than your current president from my understanding. [This is meant as calm observation, not harsh criticism, please read as such].
Last edited by 31899 on Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

And with all that^ in mind, the administration's "response" was kinda funny too.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I was just about to post about this too.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Very disappointing, Romney would've given us our Death Star.

PROOF the Obama stimulus is a sham, imo.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

The Top Crusader wrote:Romney would've given us our Death Star.
Gingrich would have given us a Death Star and a moonbase.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Well really, the Death Star was a Peace Moon for Naboo.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

that's no moon; it's a space station.

Till the end of the line.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Well yes. That's what everyone thought though because Obi Wan killed Maul before he could expose the horrible schemes of Palpatine and Senator Bubble.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
gunblader3
Found

Post by gunblader3 »

Death Star? We haven't gotten our hoover cars yet!
Children are pure, they know who's the strongest. ~ Mask de Smith
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

The government won’t build it, so the project turns to Kickstarter.
The U.S. government refuses to build a Death Star, so the internet is taking it to Kickstarter.

Back in January, the U.S. government said "thanks but no thanks" to a petition calling upon it to begin construction of a Death Star. Exorbitant cost notwithstanding, the Obama Administration apparently has a policy of not blowing up other planets. But while that may have been the end of the matter a few years ago, this is the era of empowered consumers, and that means it's time to do some crowdfunding!

The Open Souce Death Star Kickstarter has a goal of £20,000,000 - that's a little over $31 million - and before you ask, no, that's not actually the construction budget. The initial goal will fund the development of more detailed construction plans (a preliminary design is up on the Kickstarter page) and the cost of some chicken wire to cover the exhaust port; the first (and only) stretch goal of £543,000,000,000,000,00 ($850,000,000,000,000,000) will cover the full expense of building the thing. To keep costs as low as possible, the entire project will make use of open source hardware and software.

The only real risk to the Kickstarter, according to its creator, is the power of the Force, while the primary challenge is to ensure everyone knows that this is actually a joke. To get that point across, the funding goal has been set high enough to make success "almost impossible." Almost.

As amusing as this Kickstarter is, what makes it really interesting is that people seem determined to actually make it happen. Several comments point out that it's easy to donate the maximum of £5000 because the money isn't taken unless and until the Kickstarter is successful, and at that rate only 4000 backers are needed to push it over the top. At last check the Open Source Death Star Kickstarter had attracted a little shy of £200,000 in three days and had 52 days left on the clock.

Can it happen? Will it happen? What happens if it does? Failure is likely but the dream of success is tantalizing - and don't forget that a man once asked, "What good are snub fighters going to be against that?" We all know how that worked out.
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

If I had the money, I would totally donate to this lovely cause :(
*insert provocative quote here*
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Um, they'd better not be giving us a Death Star before they build the Enterprise. :noway: They also need to stop holding my Hogwarts letter in the mail. :x I'm almost of age and I've had no proper wizard training!
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Ginny Weasley wrote:Um, they'd better not be giving us a Death Star before they build the Enterprise. :noway:
Fear not, that project is also underway.
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Excellent. All we need now is an American branch of Hogwarts. I'm sure Harry and Kingsley Shacklebolt will get right on that soon, seeing as how they're about finished making major changes to the entire system of the Wizarding world in Britain. :p
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Cbriggs45
Pilgrim

Post by Cbriggs45 »

i'd prefer a death star over hogwarts... clearly for the jump into black magic..

i think if we had a death star we could scale back the defense budget. troops on the ground in other countries would be moot.

think about it.. we could have a death star target a country and wipe it out.. so this is a sad day for American foreign policy...
you can learn a lot from job 38-42, being humble isn't the easiest but its worth it.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Cbriggs45 wrote:we could have a death star target a country and wipe it out
Could we? I didn’t think it could be scaled down from planetary annihilation.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Just put it at 25% power. There's no reason you have to go max.
Cbriggs45
Pilgrim

Post by Cbriggs45 »

darth vader wanted to make an example out of alderan (i typod that i know )

in rotj the second death star took down a capital ship (im showing my geek side its been a while)

the size of a small city. i believe the obama administration is doing 'murica a disservice by not making one. its can move wont be hindered by having to orbit like a spy satellite and can help invade mars. or colonize it. i mean what alien culture would then mess with homo sapiens? maybe the black oil (x-files) and borg. but come on.. Independence day would never happen. predator would never make it to earth.. and we could take out megaton. the many applications..

and think of this. in the odyssey episode where mandy alex and sarah are doing research for the pros of space travel.. think of how much we got from just going to the moon. we make a death star the countless technical advances we would get from this..

of course this is the same administration that canceled the space program funding.. so it makes me wonder.. maybe the un is making one.
you can learn a lot from job 38-42, being humble isn't the easiest but its worth it.