Big news from Disney!

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Big news from Disney!

Post by bookworm »

You probably thought this was going to be about a movie. No, it’s about the parks.

After over half a century, Disneyland and Disneyworld have altered their strict policy on employee facial hair. Beards are now allowed.

Next time AIO Psyche drops in he can fill us in on the details and implications of this important development.
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

Goodness, that was a rule? xD I actually like it... ;)

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

It certainly was, Disney is very strict on how their employees look.
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

bookworm wrote:It certainly was, Disney is very strict on how their employees look.
That seems really interesting, since they aren't strict on how they're actors and actresses look in the movies. :roll:

TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Of course they are. You have to be suitably pretty to play the supposedly homesly protagonists, or else you can't star.

Well, the "scruffy" look is one thing, but if it gets to the Dumbledore levels, that could be a problem.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Ginny Weasley wrote:Well, the "scruffy" look is one thing, but if it gets to the Dumbledore levels, that could be a problem.
There’s a length limit.
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

If there's going to be rules on being clean shaven, and how you dress(I assume), then I don't want to see any hints of women's figure or men's pants falling down. ;)

TigerintheShadows

The Kings Daughter wrote:If there's going to be rules on being clean shaven, and how you dress(I assume), then I don't want to see any hints of women's figure or men's pants falling down. ;)
Why that should even be an issue at Disney...I'd say I don't know why, but then again, you look at some of the junk they're promoting on Disney Channel (marketed, at the youngest, for six-or-seven-year-olds), and it all makes sense to worry a bit. ;) Although why it's suddenly fashionable for guys to display their boxers when it originated in California prisons is truly beyond me.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
AIO tumblr sideblog
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Ginny Weasley wrote:
The Kings Daughter wrote:If there's going to be rules on being clean shaven, and how you dress(I assume), then I don't want to see any hints of women's figure or men's pants falling down. ;)
Why that should even be an issue at Disney...I'd say I don't know why, but then again, you look at some of the junk they're promoting on Disney Channel (marketed, at the youngest, for six-or-seven-year-olds), and it all makes sense to worry a bit. ;) Although why it's suddenly fashionable for guys to display their boxers when it originated in California prisons is truly beyond me.
It's only fashionable in the ghettos. :noway:
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Cato wrote:
Ginny Weasley wrote:
You studied this? :P

Oh, and tell my neighbors that, will you? :)
Last edited by The Kings Daughter on Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

The Kings Daughter wrote:
Cato wrote:
Ginny Weasley wrote:

Poor TKD. Living in the ghettos. :(
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
TigerintheShadows

Cato wrote:
Ginny Weasley wrote:
You'd be surprised. ;) The "ghetto" style of dress and action has always confused me, because there are people with good, suburban homes and families acting and dressing like they live in...well, the ghetto. It's quite stupid, in my opinion.
AIO tumblr sideblog
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I thought this topic would be about the news network Disney is planning to launch but this is even more exciting! \:D/

My dad got a job at a pork rind factory a couple months ago (thank you, Obama economy, for making an almost 60 year old man lose his job of 30ish years and have to find work at a random pork rind factory), and he had to either shave his beard or wear a hair net over his face, so he shaved. :(
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

The Top Crusader wrote:My dad got a job at a pork rind factory a couple months ago (thank you, Obama economy, for making an almost 60 year old man lose his job of 30ish years and have to find work at a random pork rind factory), and he had to either shave his beard or wear a hair net over his face, so he shaved. :(
Really? >.> Shall pray things go well with this situation.. :)
Cato wrote:
Cato wrote:Although why it's suddenly fashionable for guys to display their boxers when it originated in California prisons is truly beyond me.

Poor TKD. Living in the ghettos. :(
No one was suppose to find out about that. :sniff:

AIO Psyche
Geniune Disney Cast Member

Post by AIO Psyche »

One of the reasons this was approved is that Walt Disney had facial hair. If Walt had facial hair, why not allow the employees to have the same?

It has to be well groomed and short. Plus, you can't grow the facial hair while you are employeed; you have to have it fully grown and groomed to Disney Look.

:)
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

AIO Psyche wrote:It has to be well groomed and short. Plus, you can't grow the facial hair while you are employeed; you have to have it fully grown and groomed to Disney Look.

:)
Well that's nice they still have 'conditions' to keep employees looking their best. :) Short isn't so bad. ;)

Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

This is very interesting. I didn't even know that use to be a rule...
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

AIO Psyche wrote:Plus, you can't grow the facial hair while you are employeed; you have to have it fully grown and groomed to Disney Look.
You mean newcomers can have it, but if current employees don’t have it now they can’t grow it? :-k
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

Or they have to grow it when they have time off. I remember this from when they added moustaches a little over a decade ago. I still worked for Disney then, at The Disney Store, and I recall part time male co-workers being quite excited to grow facial hair the next time they had a considerable number of days off in a row. \:D/
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

But if they can grow it on ‘time off’ and then come back and keep it, what’s the difference than if they grew it on the job? :-k