Novacom: Mitch & Connie

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Novacom: Mitch & Connie

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

I have ALWAYS contemplated this.

From the beginning, Mitch was NEVER in the picture. Why? Because AREM was supposed to be Maxwell. BUT... the actor couldn't play, so, plan B: Mitch and Steve Burns. But I wonder... If it hadn't been for the actor's inability to play the part, could there have been a possibility Maxwell and Connie, dare I say it, have had a relationship???

I've always contemplated asking one of the writers... producers... but have no clue how. lol. But, it makes me wonder. Mitch and Maxwell where very alike. I was reading the synopsis for Plan B:Collision Course, and Mitch was a computer hacker. He was definitely AREM... he was like that. Maxwell was too (duh, Blackgaard Arc). But... would there have been anything between Maxwell and Connie if Mitch had never even been pictured? Maybe a few tweaks here and there, because Connie knew more about Maxwell from the beginning then she knew when she first met Mitch...

Always a thought that enters... what are your ideas?

And DUH, they had the same initials... haha... yeah, that one I knew a LONG time ago.
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

I've never thought about it...but after Jeff and the whole "unequally yoked" business, and Richard's apparent status as a non-Christian, I think Connie would really consider all of what was happening.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
EMBEE
I've been working out
Location: Where is here? The last time I checked it was the same place as usual.

Post by EMBEE »

That's a really interesting thought. :-k I do agree with Tiger though.
Thanks to my Secret Santa for the set!
Macy's Corner | My Tumblr | Deviant Art
Eight Muppety Notes: Tumblr | Twitter
Official Term 17 moderator
She left many of us behind. She left us heartbroken. And though we cry now there'll come a time when we'll laugh. Because we'll see her again someday. We'll be with her in heaven. And when we go to heaven she'll be there to greet us. She'll be there to say "Welcome home." -From a poem that SnC wrote about her grandmother
Crazy 4 Pugs
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Crazy 4 Pugs »

Yep, I gotta go with Tiger here too. And if they had brought Richard back and he was just totally turned around, that would have just been stupid. (In my opinion, that is.)

And, dare I say it? I can't picture Richard and Connie together. And dare I say even more? I like Mitch better as a match for Connie.
Um, I guess this is where I'm supposed to say something funny or interesting.
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

I'm sort of neutral on the subject... I like Connie with them both...

I don't know. I wanted to defend him... but for Connie's sake, I get why she'd want a Christian. But, if he did change... and not totally from the beginning... okay, not sure how I want to say this. Connie wants a Christian. I get that. But if she can't take a chance on someone who COULD and CAN find God, isn't that a chance worth taking? (*sigh* I've struggled with this concept for a while now in one of my stories. And I just realized I might have made a mistake) Not sure where I want this to go now...

But I can understand the turn around a culture shock. Its NOT him. But him having a heart... he has one... him having... a heart... for... GOD! (had to get that one out. lol), it could happen. We don't know enough about him though... *sigh* now that is the hard part.

I don't know about stupid. Something's gotta change in the years between. Or that ruins a character.... or, well, to me...
Crazy 4 Pugs

Post by Crazy 4 Pugs »

But I can understand the turn around a culture shock. Its NOT him. But him having a heart... he has one... him having... a heart... for... GOD! (had to get that one out. lol), it could happen. We don't know enough about him though... *sigh* now that is the hard part.

I don't know about stupid. Something's gotta change in the years between. Or that ruins a character.... or, well, to me...
Yeah, it could definitely happen. I'm not necessarily saying it would be stupid if Richard became a Christian. I'm saying it would be stupid (again, just my opinion) if Richard just showed up in Odyssey after 20 years or whatever and said "Guess what? I became a Christian. I don't want to hack into computers, burn down buildings, lie, and be an all-around hoodlum anymore. By the way, wanna go get some coffee tomorrow night, Connie?" In other words, I think we'd have to (figuratively) SEE his character change, not just have him suddenly show up and be a completely different person.
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Of course.

This and the Ode to Maxwell have nothing in common... just to say!
Crazy 4 Pugs

Post by Crazy 4 Pugs »

haha I just noticed that
H Tide
Sing in the sunshine

Post by H Tide »

I think had it been Richard and Connie, they wouldn't have started dating after everything. As a friend, she would love to encourage him to explore Christianity more. It wouldn't be wrong for her to point him toward Christ. She'd have to be careful to not encourage any feelings between them, because we all know what happened with her and Jeff. Ultimately, she'd need to encourage him without getting too emotionally attached to him. Otherwise, it would be Eugene and Katrina all over again, where any help Katrina could give Eugene was neutralized by their affection for each other.

Yes, I know this is all in theory and won't happen, but Richard is one of my favorite characters as well. :D
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

I know AREM was supposed to be Maxwell, but if the intent of the writers was to introduce a romantic interest for Connie, wouldn't Mitch have been in the series anyway? After all, many episodes passed before even a hint that Mitch was AREM surfaced. I suspect that the original plan was to have Mitch in the picture (for romance), as well as Maxwell (for intrigue).
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

But didn't they introduce the character as Robert Mitchell? I thought they picked that name to have the RM initials. It seems a little too coincidental to have two characters with the same initials here.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

RM also equals Richard Maxwell.

I hadn't thought of that though. So perhaps they came up with the idea for AREM, Richard's actor wasn't available, and they came up with Robert. And after all that then they came up with the idea of a romantic interest.
Last edited by Jonathan on Wed May 05, 2010 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Yeah, I think Mitch would've been there anyway, they just reworked the AREM stuff. There never would've been a hint of romance betwixt Connie/Richard.
NateMaxwell

Post by NateMaxwell »

I love Mitch and Connie together and I love the character Richard Maxwell. (I have the same name as the actor who plays Richard) However, In all fairness, I think that the end of the Novacom series would have been completely different had Maxwell been in the picture. When Mitch "died", Connie was the only one to really, be distressed by it. But if Richard Maxwell had been AREM, Eugene would've lost a colleauge. And Since Eugene was on the run with Katrina, How would've he reacted? And if Richard had "died" the fact that he wasnt a christian would've caused an uproar with parents trying not to have they're children learn that even Good Guys who arent christians go to hell. I'm Sorry to be blunt, But Novacom wouldn't have been as good if Richard had been AREM.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1
It’s my birthday

Post by Marvin D. »

Maxwell+Connie=Awful
Connie would NEVER date a non-Christian. I can't bear Richard together. :noway:
Last edited by Marvin D. on Thu May 06, 2010 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Joanne
Happy Flower
Happy Flower

Post by Joanne »

Marvin D. wrote:Connie would NEVER date a Christian.
Really? I thought Mitch was a Christian...

edit: Marvin changed his post to say non-Christian :)
~*~StrongNChrist, November 22, 1991- March, 25th, 2011~*~
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Connie should never date ever again. The whole Connie/Mitch romance was awful and hopefully Mitch will stay in Budapest and far away from Odyssey.
Last edited by Laurie on Thu May 06, 2010 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Dallas R.

Post by Dallas R. »

Laurie wrote:Connie should never date ever again. The whole Connie/Mitch romance was awful and hopefully Mitch will stay in Budapest and far away from Odyssey.
See, I like the Connie and Mitch episodes, but I agree that she should never date again. It's bad enough that she had to go through one failed engagement. It would be weird now to see her be engaged to someone else. It's probably better that she isn't married because it would really change her character in a sense. Then again, it definitely wouldn't hurt her to have a new friend her age to spend time with.

...wait, what about that one Katrina person? You know, that girl who's supposed to married to Eugene? JK. But really, she and Connie are close to the same age.
Katrina Meltsner talking to Katrina Shanks Video
(Pamela Hayden and Audrey Wasilewski face-off)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDHyEphRM4g

Yep. Using my signature for a shameless plug. But trust me. If I can be so arrogant, I think it'll be worth your time.
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Technically, they're only supposed to be about three years apart in age, but Connie now has never-ending-teenager syndrome, so she'll probably be sixteen when Eugene and Katrina are, like, forty or something.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
EMBEE
I've been working out
Location: Where is here? The last time I checked it was the same place as usual.

Post by EMBEE »

TigerintheShadows wrote:Technically, they're only supposed to be about three years apart in age, but Connie now has never-ending-teenager syndrome, so she'll probably be sixteen when Eugene and Katrina are, like, forty or something.
Actually, according to Kathy Buchanan on the Official Podcast, Connie is about 25 now.
Thanks to my Secret Santa for the set!
Macy's Corner | My Tumblr | Deviant Art
Eight Muppety Notes: Tumblr | Twitter
Official Term 17 moderator
She left many of us behind. She left us heartbroken. And though we cry now there'll come a time when we'll laugh. Because we'll see her again someday. We'll be with her in heaven. And when we go to heaven she'll be there to greet us. She'll be there to say "Welcome home." -From a poem that SnC wrote about her grandmother