Do you remember the first time you used a computer?

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Arla
Popsicle kid

Do you remember the first time you used a computer?

Post by Arla »

I remember the first computer my family bought. It was huge! Not like alll the slim models that we have now. The first game I ever played on it was Putt-Putt Saves the Zoo. A Humongus Entertanment game. I remembered the first time I relized that you could paint on the computer also. I thought it was the greatest thing ever! E-mail? Practically magic! Do you remember the first time you used the computer?
Just smell those burning leaves, the warm baked bread, and the hot apple cider. Ahhh.
Lime Static
Not as new

Post by Lime Static »

First time I used a computer was at school- for Accelerated Reader.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Well, not specifically since I was pretty young. That was way before the days of Putt-Putt though. :noway:
Angel
Laughing One
Laughing One

Post by Angel »

Long time ago.....wow.

I remember having one, though I didn't use it at first, only my brothers did. I think, I was around 5 when I first played it. I don't even remember what I played.
ajamj
Older Than Dirt
Older Than Dirt

Post by ajamj »

My 5th grade teacher brought his Apple into our class. This would have been 1981. Figuring that out suddenly makes me feel very old.
We bought our first home computer in the late '90's.

Everyone should have a happy dance.
V-lady
Miss Independent
Miss Independent

Post by V-lady »

I have no idea.... :)
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

We had a commadore of some kind in the early '90s.. Probably 1996 or so. I remember playing Jump-man Junior. \:D/

Our first pc we got in 1998, my uncle built it and it had windows 95 on it. We still have it and it still works. We had windows 95 until 2004, when we got windows XP. That computer is still running good, it's a good computer.. :P
...I hate marquees.
Rio
Animatronic

Post by Rio »

back in the 90s i am sure.... and yes it was a mac, iMac g3 slow thing of a machine.
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

Woah, late 90s for some? Mine is more along ajamj's lines, of course. The private school I started going to in 2nd grade had computer class on Apple IIe and/or IIc. 1982 maybe? Big giant 5" floppy disks. Black screen with green typing. Learned to program in LOGO- making the "turtle" run all around the screen. Played Oregon Trail. \:D/

Our first computer at home was an early model Mac with a tiny screen that was like 512kB in the late 80s. We made lots of homemade cards and banners with our dot-matrix printer. And played Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego.
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
Samwise
Love to love

Post by Samwise »

My grandpa had some sort of MS DOS system, that was back in the early 90s. My dad purchased a Power Macintosh 8100 in 94 or 95.

Then we got a Pioneer Mac LX-200 which my siblings and I used to learn how to type. I remember playing SimCity 2000 and F/A-18 Hornet.
Epic
Undercover
Undercover

Post by Epic »

Yep I think I was in Pre K when I played those rabbit games to learn to spell and math.
I think the compter was a Microsoft 94! I know OLD! :cpu:
Mrs Jason Whittaker
Classic

Post by Mrs Jason Whittaker »

MS DOS with a Dot Matrix printer. Remember the perforated paper with the holes on the sides?

Our first computer had two games: Snake and Gorillas. Snake was the greatest game ever!!
"Your days, at the most, cannot be long. It would be best to use them for the glory of God and the benefit of your generation."
-William Booth
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

I'm guessing 1998 or so... We would play those games like Treasure Mountain, or the monster game where you searched for letters, and the computer was an MS-DOS.
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

The first time I seriously used a computer was back in 1999 when my brother gave me my first iMac. Before then it was hit or miss.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Forte
OK

Post by Forte »

Darcie wrote:Woah, late 90s for some? Mine is more along ajamj's lines, of course. The private school I started going to in 2nd grade had computer class on Apple IIe and/or IIc. 1982 maybe? Big giant 5" floppy disks. Black screen with green typing. Learned to program in LOGO- making the "turtle" run all around the screen. Played Oregon Trail. \:D/
That's pretty much the exact same thing I remember, minus the programming. Only, those are what I played from 1994-1997 in public school (since they didn't feel like supplying students with state-of-the-art equipment).

Oregon Trail... ahh, good times. I remember putting the names of people I disliked and made sure they didn't have enough supplies to make it to their destination. Many, many people died of dysentery. xD
|My LiveJournal|My Facebook (Add me, please! I need a reason to use it! :P|

I like changing my avatar a lot, so expect a new one every now and then.
Candy
CIA is my friend
CIA is my friend

Post by Candy »

I still play oregon trail :D :anxious: I don't remember when I first played on the puter. my mom prolly would. I remember "Painting" on my cement wall with water..... when I was 3........ wow, that makes me feel like I have a good memory...... wait, what did I just type.... I don't remember.
I'd rather live as if there were a God, and found out there isn't, then to live as if there weren't a God, and find out there is.
Image Image
Jeremy
Smile for the camera

Post by Jeremy »

My dad bought an Atari computer in 1985. But since I was only 1 at the time, I don't remember the first time I used it. It had a dot matrix printer also. Used it until 1997 when we finally got a MS Windows '95 PC and got internet access.

Jeremy
firebirdsoccergrl
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by firebirdsoccergrl »

you betcha! my daddy made me a math game with visual basic in like 1997 or something. it was pretty cool. but the first real game i played was like putt-putt goes to the moon. i loved that game!!! it was soooo awesome. i would still probably play with it today, but it disapearedoff the face of the earth. :boohoo: we had all the putt-putt games. they were pretty sweet.
Two roads diverged in a wood,
and I- I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
hubcap
new and improved danny
new and improved danny

Post by hubcap »

Hm... we have this really, really old windows computer downstairs. It is running 95 or 98, but it is older than that... We have had it since I was... three or four. It pretends to work. It fools my little brother and sister (7 & 4) who don't know any better.

I played Oregon Trail, Number Munchers, all the Humongous Entertainment games, Treasure Mountain, Number Maze... Zombinis (which I still play when I am very, very bored).... I don't remember the rest. But, I must have been three or four.
Do you believe in the couch?
Agent Robert Mitchell
Smile for the camera

Post by Agent Robert Mitchell »

Should this topic be here, or should it be in Finneman's, I wonder..

Ah, yes, the first computer I used was a 186 running MS-DOS 5 (if I remember correctly). I quickly got addicted to the games Snake and Gorillas. *Reminisces...* Anyone else remember lobbing exploding bananas across a cityscape?
I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
--C. S. Lewis

I have to, unfortunately. -_-