Comics your newspaper could do without and comics you want

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Arla
Popsicle kid

Comics your newspaper could do without and comics you want

Post by Arla »

The comics take up about one page in most papers, but there are always a few that you never read and some that you would like to have. Which ones are they?

Could Get Rid Of: The Born Loser , Girls and Sports, and Snuffy Smith.

Would Like to Acquire: The Lucky Cow and Sherman's Lagoon.

I would add Foxtrot but they stopped with daily comics. :(
Just smell those burning leaves, the warm baked bread, and the hot apple cider. Ahhh.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Ah, now I didn't know FoxTrot wasn't written daily anymore--explains why I never see it. I just thought the paper had gotten rid of it (aside from Sunday, the one day I don't get the paper) and I was kinda annoyed.

And my paper recently got rid of Dennis the Menace. This decision did not make me happy.
Storm
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Storm »

I get the Washingtom post which has some really wierd comics. Some of the things they could do without are:

Agnes, Zippy the Pinhead, lio, and many others, I just am not reading the paper, there are also things that they could add, but I forgot the names, but they are definately better then the ones I mentioned above, actually, you could probably replace anything with these in my opinion.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

The comics I read I can access online, so I never bother with the newspaper. The only ones I read are: Garfield, Dilbert and Peanuts.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I miss the Far Side and Calvin and Hobbes. :(

I'd rather them just reprint old ones than most of the things that are on the comic pages these days... not that I ever actually read the newspaper, but its the principle of the matter. :noway:
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

RegisB wrote:Some of the things they could do without are: .... Zippy the Pinhead,
I hate Zippy. There are two major papers where my parents live, and the one they currently get has Zippy. Why it's printed in any newspaper ever is completely beyond me.
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

Get rid of Mutts. Please.

Get: Prince Valiant! \:D/
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

Hey Doc, just come get our sunday paper.

I wish people printed Calvin & Hobbes.
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Rio
Animatronic

Post by Rio »

I like Pickles and Beetle Bailey.... and Blondie..... \:D/
Angel
Laughing One
Laughing One

Post by Angel »

Yes! Zippy is a must to get rid of. That, and Lio, Curtis, On the Fast Track, Mark Trail, The Piranha Club, Watch your Head, Pooch Cafe, Judge Parker, Canderville, Frazz, Get Fuzzy, Agnes, and one that is bad and has a bad name.

I get a very large comics section with many none family friendly pieces.

I would like Calvin & Hobbes, Far Side, and oh, there was one strip they replaced with a really stupid one, I can't even remember what it was anymore.

It seems comics are getting more stupid, and not as funny.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Like Watson, I say: GET RID OF MUTTS! :mad: It's not funny...I don't know why it's on the comics page. I also don't care for Family Circus or Non Sequitur. That's for the daily comics - Sunday's, I don't care for Born Loser, Marmaduke, Lockhorns, and Hagar the Horrible.

As I don't keep up with the comics that aren't in my paper, I'm not sure of any that I would like to see added. Calvin and Hobbes would be good. :)

My favorites are Dilbert, Baby Blues, Garfield, Peanuts, Get Fuzzy, and Foxtrot. \:D/
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

A lot of you are fortunate to still be getting Peanuts, they cut that from our paper soon after Schultz quit writing them. :(

Jonathan mentioned they took Dennis the Menace from his paper... I don't ever really read the comics so I'm curious, has that held up well after the death of Hank Ketchum a few years back?
hubcap
new and improved danny
new and improved danny

Post by hubcap »

We get... *takes out the comics* Hi and Lois, Broomhilda, Frank and Ernest, Crankshaft, Dennis the Menace, The Born Loser, Micky Mouse, The Middletons, Speedbump, The Better Half, Marvin, Andy Capp, Mallard Fillmore, Animal Crackers, Funky Winkerbean, Garfield, Pickles, Momma, Arlo & Janis, Pluggers, Rose is Rose, Bizarro, Rube, and Annie in the Sunday paper. I like the ones that are italicized.

I wish we had the Peanuts and Farside, though...
Do you believe in the couch?
Kairi
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Kairi »

Hubcap, you get Mickey Mouse and Annie?! Lucky! I wish we got Calvin and Hobbes. :boohoo: Occasionally we ge it, but not very often. Of course, we have a bigh book of it. :- \:D/
*CAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW*
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

The Top Crusader wrote:A lot of you are fortunate to still be getting Peanuts, they cut that from our paper soon after Schultz quit writing them. :(

Jonathan mentioned they took Dennis the Menace from his paper... I don't ever really read the comics so I'm curious, has that held up well after the death of Hank Ketchum a few years back?
Top, I read Peanuts online every day. :)

Where I am, they still have Dennis the Menace in the weekend colour comics but not in the dailies. To me, it could go - it isn't funny or very cute or clever.

Pearls Before Swine, Dilbert, Peanuts, Baby Blues and Calvin and Hobbes are the comics that I read daily, often online.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

The Top Crusader wrote:A lot of you are fortunate to still be getting Peanuts, they cut that from our paper soon after Schultz quit writing them. :(
In the Twin Cities, we'll probably be getting Peanuts long after I'm dead ;)
I didn't know Hank Ketchum died--I still enjoyed it though.
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

Jonathan wrote:I didn't know Hank Ketchum died--I still enjoyed it though.
You enjoyed Hank Ketchum dying? :shock:

Also, Baby Blues is good. :yes:
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Dr. Watson wrote:
Jonathan wrote:I didn't know Hank Ketchum died--I still enjoyed it though.
You enjoyed Hank Ketchum dying? :shock:
You know what I meant ;)
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

I've always enjoyed "Close to Home," I just love the drawings of really ugly old people placed into impossible situations. They don't have it in my newspaper, which pains me no end. :D
Pseudonym
Pleasantly Confused
Pleasantly Confused

Post by Pseudonym »

Frank??? Who's he? :shock:
So you lost your trust,
And you never should have.
No, you never should have.
But don't break your back
If you ever see this,
But don't answer that.
In a bullet proof vest