Help!!!!!

Computer Troubles

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Kairi
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Help!!!!!

Post by Kairi »

Okay, so I was adding another account to my Windows XP x64 and next thing I know the Administator account on my computer vanishes! With almost all my files! If anyone can help me find it, it would be greatly appreciated, and they will recieve $200. (toO money)
*CAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW*
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

Do a Restore. Unless you don't have any administration. :-k Try to do a restore by going start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and then System Restore. Go back like one or two days and you should be fine. Can you do that?

Edit: If that doesn't work, see if you can see both accounts in Safe Mode.
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
Azariah Ben Yaakov
100% Kosher
100% Kosher
Location: Chillin. Probably sniffing your connection for passwords \:D/

Post by Azariah Ben Yaakov »

You can find all your files in C:\Documents and settings\your user\

Surely there is an administrator account. Even if its hidden. Try looking under user accounts, change your account type to admin if you can, mess around in there and see if you can enable the administrator account, because it IS there.

If none of that works do the restore.
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

Or if they are not in that file, they should be in C:\Documents and Settings\Your_old_user_name.
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
Azariah Ben Yaakov
100% Kosher
100% Kosher

You really don't need to restore either. Open a cmd window and type

net user username passwordhere /add

net localgroup Administrators username /add

That should work :D

BTW Dan thats what I meant :P
Kairi

Post by Kairi »

Danadelfos wrote:Or if they are not in that file, they should be in C:\Documents and Settings\Your_old_user_name.
Did that. Said access was denied, which is weird because I do have administrative powers on the account I'm using.

Uh, what's a CMD window? #-o
Azariah Ben Yaakov
100% Kosher
100% Kosher

Kairi wrote:
Danadelfos wrote:Or if they are not in that file, they should be in C:\Documents and Settings\Your_old_user_name.
Did that. Said access was denied, which is weird because I do have administrative powers on the account I'm using.

Go to start>run>type in cmd :D
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

Kairi wrote:

Okay, this is how you get to those files. If it gives you Access Denied msg try to right click on it and select properties. Then go to security tab and if you don't see your current admin account add it to the list and grant it full access. Its interesting that you can open context menu(when you right click) on the folder and access its security settings even though it gives you Access denied when you run to it with keyboard.
If its not working under normal go to safe mode and try there.
And if you need to do something with admin rights you rather try to use runas command
Kairi

Post by Kairi »

I can't right click it, so how do I do safe mode?
Me
An original

Post by Me »

Press f8 right when when Windows loading screen comes up (or rather, right before it does. I often mistime, so I just keep hitting it through the POST operation, until the menu comes up).

Should be a piece of cake to access the admin account from there.

As an aside, how's x64 treating you? Any issues of note?
Azariah Ben Yaakov
100% Kosher
100% Kosher

Yeah. I would say try the CMD method first though, a log in and out be good enough if you just use the 2nd command to add the user you are in to the administrator group.
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

Either way works. \:D/
Kairi

Post by Kairi »

Yes!!! Administrator is back! Thanks guys for all the help! \:D/ Your checks are in the mail!

(BTW, I went to Administrative Tools and deleted the second account successfully, while in safe mode!) Huzzah!

And Me, aside from this little adventure, it's great! There are some things you can't download (Real Player is one of them), however.
Azariah Ben Yaakov
100% Kosher
100% Kosher

Glad we could help.