BTV Episodes

I've been wondering

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Fei
I'm in Odyssey time

BTV Episodes

Post by Fei »

Does anyone, other than me, feel that BTV productions sometimes are disrespectful to the real men and women back in Biblical times?

Am I the only one who thinks this?
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Post by jasonjannajerryjohn »

You probably are, BTV is cool. I like it, it is just fun. Paradys of the actually Bible stories.
Peri: Do you mean the TARDIS is malfunctioning again?
The Doctor: Malfunctioning? [pause] Malfunctioning? MALFUNCTIONING!?
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

They aren't parodies, just different ways of telling them.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Jonathan wrote:They aren't parodies, just different ways of telling them.
That's what parodies are... ;)
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

Trent DeWhite wrote:
Usually, though, parody has a negative connotation. It's more than just re-telling a story.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Yes, indeed. But the essence of a parody is a [really] different way of telling something. O:)
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Agent3xq
I eat combination locks
I eat combination locks

Post by Agent3xq »

Pippin wrote:Does anyone, other than me, feel that BTV productions sometimes are disrespectful to the real men and women back in Biblical times?

Do you have any specific examples? :-k
I believe in the place where the mind and the heart unite at faith
H Tide
Sing in the sunshine

Post by H Tide »

While certain BTV episode may portray Biblical characters as a little silly sometimes, I feel that overall, the writers show a proper amount of respect for their characters.
Fei
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Fei »

Faramir wrote:
Pippin wrote:Does anyone, other than me, feel that BTV productions sometimes are disrespectful to the real men and women back in Biblical times?

Do you have any specific examples? :-k
Honestly, I can't remember anything right off the bat. Give me a little time and I'll come up with something, hopefully. ;)
V-lady
Miss Independent
Miss Independent

Post by V-lady »

Sometimes they do make them sound dumb, but in a funny, joking way, not really dishonoring...in my opinion.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Wouldn't that include other shows like "By Faith, Noah" or "The Shepherd and the Giant"? :-k
Fei
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Fei »

Chandler wrote:

Wouldn't that include other shows like "By Faith, Noah" or "The Shepherd and the Giant"? :-k
I don't remember "The Shepherd and the Giant" but I feel that "By, Faith Noah" Makes Noah look like an idiot.
rickyderocher
My posts are revolutionary

Post by rickyderocher »

Pippin wrote:
Chandler wrote:

I don't remember "The Shepherd and the Giant" but I feel that "By, Faith Noah" Makes Noah look like an idiot.
I don't think that episode made Noah look like an idiot... :-s
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

rickyderocher wrote:
Pippin wrote:
Chandler wrote:

I don't think that episode made Noah look like an idiot... :-s
That is a good episode, it is there to add some humor, not to make him look like an idiot.
Waluigi Freak 99
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Waluigi Freak 99 »

Do you mean episodes such as "BTV: Envy", where David writes a flippant letter ordering Uriah's death? (That's the only example I can think of at the moment.) In my opinion, that was well-done. It stripped David down to his heart intentions -- that he honestly couldn't care less about Uriah's life.

I don't think it's disrespectful at all. If "The Imagination Station" had been played out as a comedy, I'd say that'd go too far. But the writers of AIO know their limits.
Everything written in this post is false.
Candy
CIA is my friend
CIA is my friend

Post by Candy »

I LOVE BTV! lol
I'd rather live as if there were a God, and found out there isn't, then to live as if there weren't a God, and find out there is.
Image Image
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I like BTV as well. Bernard is a great storyteller.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Trent DeWhite wrote:
Heh, ok. But parodies are different enough so they aren't the same thing exactly, but we know what they're poking fun at. Like the parodies in The Time of Our Lives.

I don't consider the btv stories parodies b/c 1. They don't change the story and 2. They do not intend to make fun of the story. Add some humor maybe, but that's it.
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Waluigi Freak 99 wrote:Do you mean episodes such as "BTV: Envy", where David writes a flippant letter ordering Uriah's death? (That's the only example I can think of at the moment.) In my opinion, that was well-done. It stripped David down to his heart intentions -- that he honestly couldn't care less about Uriah's life.

I don't think it's disrespectful at all. If "The Imagination Station" had been played out as a comedy, I'd say that'd go too far. But the writers of AIO know their limits.
This is indeed a fair statment. AIO does not intentionaly try to make the Biblical characters look like complete idiots.
Homeward bound
Lucid and deductive
Location: Can't say where I am, but my head is in the clouds...

Post by Homeward bound »

Like most people are saying, I think they just add humor to the stories...I don't think they disrespect the characters in any way. To be honest, I think it helps listeners remember the stories even more, plus it adds a new twist to a story you already know so that you enjoy listening to a Bible story you've heard 100 times and don't even think about anymore.