A Lesson from Mike

Is it just me or am I the only one who can't stand it??

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!

A Lesson from Mike...

Loved it!
39%
An Ok episode
43%
Hated it!
17%
never heard it....
No votes

Total votes: 23

Rio
Animatronic

A Lesson from Mike

Post by Rio »

Like I said is it just me or am I the only one who can't stand A Lesson from Mike?? From the first time I heard it, I was so annoyed with Julie and I haven't liked her character since. She was acting really stupid when she went all fanatical with the Mike kid who died... sure it was nice of her to go to the funeral and reach out to the mom and other lonely kids but to go and be obsessed with Mike was when I went to turn off the episode.....
Once in a while my brother will go and play the episode just because he knows that is the only one I cant stand...at all. I think the real one I can't stand is Julie, and boy am I glad that her character did not last long!(if she was still on AIO I would just.... ah die?) Anyway I just wanted to put that out there and to blow some steam... :explode:
Anyway tell me what yous think!

RR
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

It is one of my favorites. I don't know why I like it. Perhaps it is because I tend to gravitate toward the sad episodes.

The only person I do not like in this episode is Heather. She came across as being very mean and bossy.
Last edited by Laurie on Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Agent3xq
I eat combination locks
I eat combination locks

Post by Agent3xq »

This episode doesn't really bother me at all, I actually prefer it. I think it has an excellent moral to reach out to the people who are alone.
I believe in the place where the mind and the heart unite at faith
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

She wasn't obsessed. Did you get to the end? If you didn't, listen again. All that was going somewhere.

edit-And I've got to add this in. I think Julie was the only kid acting normal in that episode. Have you ever had someone in your school die who was your age? Even a friend? For younger people like us that can kinda mess with your head. I speak from experience.
H Tide
Sing in the sunshine

Post by H Tide »

I loved this episode and was glad it was part of the "Sanctity of Human Life" episodes that were aired in January. I thought the episode had a great message about loving the lonely.
Last edited by H Tide on Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Macnut
No way I broke the window
Location: At Whit's End, sipping a milkshake and talking with Connie

Post by Macnut »

H Paw wrote:I loved this episode and was glad it was part of the "Sanctity of Human Life" episode that were aired in January. I thought the episode had a great message about loving the lonely.
Very well said. It is an important message. I've never lost a friend my age but if I had, or when I do, I'll want to be part of comforting their family. I imagine that it was really good for Mike's mom to have someone like Julie take an interest in her son's death and to be there for her to talk to. It'd be horrible if Mike died and then no one his age cared. I like the ep.

--------------------------------------------
"I’m done and finished with low living, sight walking, small planning,
smooth knees, colorless dreams, tamed visions, mundane talking, cheap
living, and dwarfed goals...I am a disciple of Jesus."
Arla
Popsicle kid

Post by Arla »

It's okay. I think the premise needs to be told and when I heard it the first time I thought it was a important message. It still is. So I guess I don't care.
Just smell those burning leaves, the warm baked bread, and the hot apple cider. Ahhh.
wooton_bassett
OK

Post by wooton_bassett »

It's ok, not wonderful
"I'm a neat freak and a toy geek. Rarely do the two go together but I guess I'm the exception."
Rio
Animatronic

Post by Rio »

Yah well thanks for the input and all...* rethinks episode and comes to a conclusions I guess the thing that puts me over the edge on this episode is must likely the actress, namely Julie.... maybe its the not the episode but its the actress. I never did like Julie so thats it I guess.. anyway
But I do have to say that this is indeed my least favorite Odyssey ever...

RR
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

RioRenae wrote:But I do have to say that this is indeed my least favorite Odyssey ever...

RR
Ever? Out of 600+ eps? Simply because that, in spite of a good message, you don't like the actress?

I'm not saying one can't dislike the episode, I'm just having a hard time figuring out where you're coming from.
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

Jonathan wrote:She wasn't obsessed. Did you get to the end? If you didn't, listen again. All that was going somewhere.

edit-And I've got to add this in. I think Julie was the only kid acting normal in that episode. Have you ever had someone in your school die who was your age? Even a friend? For younger people like us that can kinda mess with your head. I speak from experience.
I second that. This really is a great episode.
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

JEC agrees again! :shock:
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

Darcie wrote:JEC agrees again! :shock:
Yup. \:D/
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Evil Chick wrote:
Darcie wrote:JEC agrees again! :shock:
Yup. \:D/
'tis happens a lot ^_^
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

I just listened again. This is the first time since the evening of Dec 14th. Why is that significant? Because one of my best friends died the next morning.

With that said,
RioRenae wrote:From the first time I heard it, I was so annoyed with Julie and I haven't liked her character since. She was acting really stupid when she went all fanatical with the Mike kid who died... sure it was nice of her to go to the funeral and reach out to the mom and other lonely kids but to go and be obsessed with Mike was when I went to turn off the episode.....
I still think you're kinda off-base. You really need to listen to the episode again, and don't do it through Heather's ears.

You want to know who was acting stupid? Heather.

She jumped all over Julie for even going to the funeral--which you think was good of her.

She wasn't 'obssesed' or what-not--she was struggling with the loss of a kid in her school. She was looking for answers, or what to learn from the whole experience.

And it went somewhere. She did learn something, and she helped comfort Mike's family.

And you say she was acting stupid? :-s

As you said, you turned it off halfway through. I wonder if you ever got to the end. If you haven't, that's another great reason to give it another listen. It has a very proper ending.
Anyway tell me what yous think!
Death is hard to handle, and up until Novacom, AIO was good about it. The death of a child is even tougher--and they did a stellar job in addressing the subject in this episode.

edit-I just looked at some of my other posts in this topic, and it appears I've repeated myself some.
H34TH4R
Someone's favorite

Post by H34TH4R »

i feel the same. i hated the episode its quite boring too.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

*shakes head* Young people ;)
Waluigi Freak 99
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Waluigi Freak 99 »

I thought that it was a great episode. However, I still wonder why they put the line "Did you hear about the kid who died last night?" in the introduction to the episode. I think that there would have been more surprise if we had first heard the line when Julie did.
Everything written in this post is false.
Rio
Animatronic

Post by Rio »

Jonathan wrote:*shakes head* Young people ;)
*shakes head* Old People ;) jk!

RR
Ruthie
de lah rutheh rank
de lah rutheh rank

Post by Ruthie »

Jonathan wrote:*shakes head* Young people ;)
*even though she would probably be considered in the "young people" group*

*shakes head with Jonathan*

I love this episode!