The Barclays

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Laura Ingalls wrote:they seemed to hate and talk really ugly to each other in almost all of their episodes. :doubt:
I bet to differ, but don't feel like posting why right now.

And I believe Trent is right, the receiptionist also mispronounced Barclay as Brocolli.

-Jonathan
Me
An original

Post by Me »

Jonathan wrote:
Laura Ingalls wrote:they seemed to hate and talk really ugly to each other in almost all of their episodes. :doubt:
I bet to differ, but don't feel like posting why right now.
If my opinions are the same as yours, there are several reasons to differ.

The main one IMO is:
They were showing real family interaction, fighting siblings, etc. They were often reprimanded for this behavior, and they frequently learned lessons through it or in relation to it (The ep Wishful Thinking comes to mind).
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Couldn't have said it better myself. That, and they didn't do it nearly as much as was protrayed here, and it was quite clear they didn't hate each other. To me, their arguements (occasional or otherwise) made them sound that much more real. Jimmy and Donna's actors did an amazing job of playing off each other in such scenes.

-Jonathan
Frodo
Classic

Post by Frodo »

And arguing can show affection, right? [/u]
Priscilla

<><
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Frodo wrote:And arguing can show affection, right?
Absolutely. After all, with whom do we argue the most? :-
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
MDB17
Lucid and deductive

Post by MDB17 »

i love the barkleys but i didn't really enjoy the living grey
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Trent DeWhite wrote:
The people we love the most. I can't remember who wrote this (maybe Dobson, I don't know) but few people can infuriate us more then the ones we care for the most.

Besides that, the occasional bickering made them seem like more realistic siblings. I'm pretty sure there's no one here that can tell me they've never argued with their siblings.

-Jonathan
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

While it's true that we seem to argue most with those we love the most, I disagree that arguing shows affection. At least, the arguing that Jimmy and Donna seemed to engage in. Bickering does not produce love; rather, having two people with sin natures around each other constantly inevitably causes bickering.

"Jimmy's a pimple on the face of my life" and "Get away from me, you runt!" does not seem affectionate, nor Christlike, nor brotherly/sisterly. Yes, they were realistic--unfortunately so. I don't think they hated each other, but their quarrels were a little too glaring at times.

As I look back on the Barclay children, I see them maturing. Their deplorable attitudes in episodes like "Two Sides to Every Story" gradually get better. By the time of "A Prayer for George Barclay" etc., their sibling strife seems to have dissipated, and they show more caring attitudes toward each other.

Cheerio

Doctor Watson
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Dr. Watson wrote:While it's true that we seem to argue most with those we love the most, I disagree that arguing shows affection. At least, the arguing that Jimmy and Donna seemed to engage in. Bickering does not produce love; rather, having two people with sin natures around each other constantly inevitably causes bickering.
I would have to agree. We often hurt those that we love most. That doesn't mean the hurting is a form of love!
Being in close quarters with people gives us a chance to see people's bad sides. People may be able to get away with "being nice" in public but their families may know differently at home. :anxious:
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Jonathan wrote:
Trent DeWhite wrote:
The people we love the most. I can't remember who wrote this (maybe Dobson, I don't know) but few people can infuriate us more then the ones we care for the most.
Exactly what I was inferring.
Chandler wrote:
Dr. Watson wrote:While it's true that we seem to argue most with those we love the most, I disagree that arguing shows affection. At least, the arguing that Jimmy and Donna seemed to engage in. Bickering does not produce love; rather, having two people with sin natures around each other constantly inevitably causes bickering.
I would have to agree. We often hurt those that we love most. That doesn't mean the hurting is a form of love! Being in close quarters with people gives us a chance to see people's bad sides. People may be able to get away with "being nice" in public but their families may know differently at home. :anxious:
You've made some good points. True, arguing does not necessarily show affection. I guess the point I was trying to make was that we primarily argue with the ones we love. Thus, we hurt the ones we love the most. However, like you two mentioned, bickering does not equate to love. :noway:
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Trent DeWhite wrote:
Chandler wrote:
I would have to agree. We often hurt those that we love most. That doesn't mean the hurting is a form of love! Being in close quarters with people gives us a chance to see people's bad sides. People may be able to get away with "being nice" in public but their families may know differently at home. :anxious:
You've made some good points. True, arguing does not necessarily show affection. I guess the point I was trying to make was that we primarily argue with the ones we love. Thus, we hurt the ones we love the most. However, like you two mentioned, bickering does not equate to love. :noway:
Completely agreed Mr. DeWhite. :)
Conniepaw
Smile for the camera

Post by Conniepaw »

Stuart, even though he wasnt even heard off very many times, is my all-time favorite with Donna trailing not far behind.
Aslan
Smile for the camera

Post by Aslan »

i like jimmy :D

Life is worth living, so live the best life that you can
HarlowRoxMySox
Smile for the camera

Post by HarlowRoxMySox »

The Jimmy/Donna arguments remind me much of the arguments my older brother and I had when we were younger. (I particularly remember something similar to the gym shorts basketball scene) ;-)
Do any of YOU know how to make hand shadows?

Kathrine Doyle is my dorky little sister... JK... kinda ^o^
My awsome Avatar & Sig were illustrated by a friend named Navi!
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Are there any siblings who don't fight? I think everyone has had an arguement with their siblings at least once..
...I hate marquees.
HarlowRoxMySox
Smile for the camera

Post by HarlowRoxMySox »

I always like to aspire to be like Brooke in DGL, they don't fight nearly as much as my sibs do.
Do any of YOU know how to make hand shadows?

Kathrine Doyle is my dorky little sister... JK... kinda ^o^
My awsome Avatar & Sig were illustrated by a friend named Navi!
Linne
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Linne »

The Barclays were always my favorite family. It was devastating when they moved away. :(

Living in the Grey was great! I want to own.... :D
gracie07
Not as new

Post by gracie07 »

i know i want an episode to be about how donna doing in college and also one about stuart
Conniepaw
Smile for the camera

Post by Conniepaw »

i related so well to the barclay's as pastor kids being one myself..we need to have another pastor family..