Soul Surfer

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

I just saw it too, lol. I thought it was pretty good. I mean, quality wise, for a Christian movie, it was certainly well-done.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

I'll have to agree with odysseyfan1... the immodesty ticks me off. I don't know if I'll ever watch it, for that reason.

The movie is doing well in theaters. It should make an estimated $11,300,000 on opening weekend.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

American Eagle wrote:I'll have to agree with odysseyfan1... the immodesty ticks me off. I don't know if I'll ever watch it, for that reason.

The movie is doing well in theaters. It should make an estimated $11,300,000 on opening weekend.
You and odysseyfan1, please stop trolling. Nobody cares about how you are super conservative and obviously have never gone any place where people swim. THEY MADE IT REALISTIC.

Going into this film I thought "This movie is going to be boring, I live almost as far away from the oceans as possible, I'm not going to find this interesting." I was wrong.

When I went the other day the theatre was packed.

Last edited by 31899 on Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

31899 wrote:
American Eagle wrote:I'll have to agree with odysseyfan1... the immodesty ticks me off. I don't know if I'll ever watch it, for that reason.

You and odysseyfan1, please stop trolling. Nobody cares about how you are super conservative and obviously have never gone any place where people swim. THEY MADE IT REALISTIC.
This made my day. \:D/

I'm surprised I haven't even heard of this movie.. but you guys are all saying it's good, so I should probably check it out.
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

31899 wrote:

Going into this film I thought "This movie is going to be boring, I live almost as far away from the oceans as possible, I'm not going to find this interesting." I was wrong.

Oh please, leave your nasty comments to yourself. I gave my opinion, which I have every right to do. (Just like you do, I believe) Why are you being mean about it? Is God convicting you of something? ;) It's not a matter of being super conservative, it's a matter of staying away from things that you know will have temptation. And on the parka issue, that's why you don't go to a public beach. Swimsuits and bikinis are designed very immodestly, and they're not pleasing to the Lord.

If you want to watch the movie, fine. I'm not gonna say you're bad or anything. It's between you and the Lord, but our family (with all boys with the exception of our mom) it's not a good idea.

Post by 31899 »

odysseyfan1 wrote:
31899 wrote:

Oh please, leave your nasty comments to yourself. I gave my opinion, which I have every right to do. (Just like you do, I believe) Why are you being mean about it? Is God convicting you of something? ;) It's not a matter of being super conservative, it's a matter of staying away from things that you know will have temptation. And on the parka issue, that's why you don't go to a public beach. Swimsuits and bikinis are designed very immodestly, and they're not pleasing to the Lord.

If you want to watch the movie, fine. I'm not gonna say you're bad or anything. It's between you and the Lord, but our family (with all boys with the exception of our mom) it's not a good idea.
Your opinion is not based upon the film, but upon a prejudice. Also if you don't have anything valuable to the discussion to write than please stay out the conversation. I'm not being mean, merely (just as the film) realistic.

So I got to thinking some more of the film and I just realized how many people this movie might actually reach. With the Christian message not being blazed across it, but woven in, it has the potential to touch a lot of people. I'm not saying that people are going to see this and be like "Oh my word, my entire life is backwards." More along the lines of seed planting. Also, in pretty much every interview with her I've seen she always mentions Jesus.

ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Personally, I didn't care too much about the aforementioned 'complete immodesty', but it really annoys me that people say, "I'm not wearing this to attract attention, I'm just doing it because you can't exactly wear a parka at the beach." Sorry, that's just stupid. You could easily just wear a one-piece suit or whatever, and why put something on the market if you're not trying to sell it? So, if you're gonna wear stuff like that, don't make stupid arguments for why you're doing it.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

31899 wrote:You and odysseyfan1, please stop trolling.
Trolling? Ha, learn a new word? ;) Look up the definition, bro. "Having a different opinion" is not trolling.
31899 wrote: and obviously have never gone any place where people swim.
Umm, yeah I have. Lots of times.
31899 wrote:
odysseyfan1 wrote:
31899 wrote:

Your opinion is not based upon the film, but upon a prejudice. Also if you don't have anything valuable to the discussion to write than please stay out the conversation. I'm not being mean, merely (just as the film) realistic.
Dude, chill. We gave our opinion and didn't attack anyone for liking the movie. There is nothing wrong with that, and doesn't warrant this "nasty comments" line. Also, I'm not basing my opinion upon prejudice. I've watched the trailer and clips of the movie, been to the official website and received email from the filmmakers, and have read multiple reviews. Glancing through the website, nearly every female outfit is sensual. Why should I sit through a movie that I know will make me stumble?

For now, I'm choosing not to. I'm not fighting the movie or try to stop others from watching it - who knows, maybe it will bring other people to Christ. And perhaps, I may watch it sometime the future if we rent it from the library. At this time, however, I'm choosing not to. That's my view and I have every right to say so peacefully. >_>
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Cbriggs45
Pilgrim

Post by Cbriggs45 »

hmm... i saw something on this about the graphics. made me half interested and half bored.

i will say this seeing a female in a *warm winter parka* does less for more then other things. so i dont care. so i either come from a far different world then most or i am just different so carrry on i will actually watch this now after hearing all these reviews. so congrats people.
you can learn a lot from job 38-42, being humble isn't the easiest but its worth it.
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

You can't wear a parka at the beach... possibly a *warm winter* one, though... how I long for those days... ;)
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Steve

Post by Steve »

31899 wrote:You and odysseyfan1, please stop trolling. Nobody cares about how you are super conservative and obviously have never gone any place where people swim. THEY MADE IT REALISTIC.

Thank you, sir for your complete lack of tact and vocabulary. ;)
he/him | a little stinker.
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

American Eagle wrote:
Trolling? Ha, learn a new word? ;) Look up the definition, bro. "Having a different opinion" is not trolling.
31899 wrote: and obviously have never gone any place where people swim.
Umm, yeah I have. Lots of times.
31899 wrote:
odysseyfan1 wrote:
31899 wrote:

Dude, chill. We gave our opinion and didn't attack anyone for liking the movie. There is nothing wrong with that, and doesn't warrant this "nasty comments" line. Also, I'm not basing my opinion upon prejudice. I've watched the trailer and clips of the movie, been to the official website and received email from the filmmakers, and have read multiple reviews. Glancing through the website, nearly every female outfit is sensual. Why should I sit through a movie that I know will make me stumble?

For now, I'm choosing not to. I'm not fighting the movie or try to stop others from watching it - who knows, maybe it will bring other people to Christ. And perhaps, I may watch it sometime the future if we rent it from the library. At this time, however, I'm choosing not to. That's my view and I have every right to say so peacefully. >_>
Exactly. :)
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

I went to see Soul Surfer yesterday. It was amazing. The movie was touching and inspiring, and it had a great message to it. It was exactly what I expected and so much more. I'm no expert on acting, but I believe the actors and actresses did a very good job. The only thing I really have to complain about in the movie is the bathing suits, but than again they have to be realistic. So, I understand why they did that. I really didn't have that much of a problem with it, however I know that some people do. Overall, Soul Surfer is a wonderful movie that will touch your heart.
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

American Eagle wrote:
If I may interject; 31899’s use of ‘trolling’ was actually correct depending on your point of view. It boils down to the reason you are stating the different opinion.
Some may think you are stating so-called ‘super conservative’ viewpoints to start arguments on morality and the like, in which case you would indeed be trolling.
I don’t personally believe you’re doing that, I think you’re doing it for the right reason (to add to the conversation), I’m just saying some might.
Carry on. (About the movie ;) )
Eowyn18
Not as new

Post by Eowyn18 »

I saw this movie a couple days ago and I thought it was pretty good. The message though not overtly Christian (as in spreading the Gospel of Jesus Christ) was much, much, much better than the typical Hollywood fare. The family's view on modesty was quite disappointing. :( My little brother will not be seeing this film. My only other complaint was the highly immoral commercials that played before the movie. ](*,)
Last edited by Eowyn18 on Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Oh yeah. The previews were great. :lol:
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Guys, it's a mainstream hollywood movie. Don't go watch it if you're expecting a 'Christian movie' like Fireproof or something. Obviously, previews will played at the beginning just like any other movie, and yes, the actors in the movie wear swimsuits *le gasp*. I haven't seen the movie myself, but it seems quite obvious that the focus wasn't on the modesty of the chicks. The plot is focused on the protagonist and her journey... the reason they wear swimsuits is because that's their costumes. In a movie that's set in the 1930s, all the actors wear clothing appropriate to the time period. Likewise, in a movie that's set on the beach, all the actors wear the same swimsuits they would actually be wearing to a beach. When you're making a film, you strive for realism. It would have been stupid for the director to try to 'censor' the movie by making all the actors wear something that wouldn't actually be worn to a beach.. it would be more distracting, and unnecessary.

If seeing swimsuits bug you, then don't watch the movie. If you can look past that and appreciate what the movie is actually trying to offer, then great! Otherwise, stop complaining.
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
H Tide
Sing in the sunshine

Post by H Tide »

So I watched it last week with my brother, and we both loved it. I thought it was quite encouraging and inspiring. Definitely one of the better Christian films I've seen, quality wise (and by Christian, I mean worldview, similar to Blind Side). I thought they did a great job portraying the Hamilton family, and of course Bethany. I think the modesty issue should definitely be taken into account. However, I did not think it detracted from the movie or its message. I don't think it's something they could've avoided because surfers do wear bikinis.
Last edited by H Tide on Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shadowfax

Post by Shadowfax »

Jelly wrote:Guys, it's a mainstream hollywood movie. Don't go watch it if you're expecting a 'Christian movie' like Fireproof or something. Obviously, previews will played at the beginning just like any other movie, and yes, the actors in the movie wear swimsuits *le gasp*. I haven't seen the movie myself, but it seems quite obvious that the focus wasn't on the modesty of the chicks. The plot is focused on the protagonist and her journey... the reason they wear swimsuits is because that's their costumes. In a movie that's set in the 1930s, all the actors wear clothing appropriate to the time period. Likewise, in a movie that's set on the beach, all the actors wear the same swimsuits they would actually be wearing to a beach. When you're making a film, you strive for realism. It would have been stupid for the director to try to 'censor' the movie by making all the actors wear something that wouldn't actually be worn to a beach.. it would be more distracting, and unnecessary.

If seeing swimsuits bug you, then don't watch the movie. If you can look past that and appreciate what the movie is actually trying to offer, then great! Otherwise, stop complaining.
Finally. Thank you. ;)
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

Jelly wrote:Guys, it's a mainstream hollywood movie. Don't go watch it if you're expecting a 'Christian movie' like Fireproof or something. Obviously, previews will played at the beginning just like any other movie, and yes, the actors in the movie wear swimsuits *le gasp*. I haven't seen the movie myself, but it seems quite obvious that the focus wasn't on the modesty of the chicks. The plot is focused on the protagonist and her journey... the reason they wear swimsuits is because that's their costumes. In a movie that's set in the 1930s, all the actors wear clothing appropriate to the time period. Likewise, in a movie that's set on the beach, all the actors wear the same swimsuits they would actually be wearing to a beach. When you're making a film, you strive for realism. It would have been stupid for the director to try to 'censor' the movie by making all the actors wear something that wouldn't actually be worn to a beach.. it would be more distracting, and unnecessary.

Excellent suggestion. Probably the most epic thing that has been said in this whole argument, err...conversation. ;)
*insert provocative quote here*