What books are you reading?

In the same vein as movie/music threads...

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

LizzieG wrote: And Then There Were None (Agatha Christie)
:shock: The best book in the world! \:D/ :D
*insert provocative quote here*
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

IDANCE4JESUS wrote:
LizzieG wrote: And Then There Were None (Agatha Christie)
:shock: The best book in the world! \:D/ :D
Also the best band in the world! \:D/
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Surrender the Heart, excellent book. I am now starting Where Grace Abides by B.J, Hoff, it is the second book in her Riverhaven Years series/trilogy.
Last edited by Laurie on Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Dallas R.
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Dallas R. »

"Billy Budd" by Hermin Mellville.

I just listened to the Focus on the Family Radio theater version, and discovered that I like the story, but in the adaptation it was hard to separate voices and get to know the characters. I thought that reading the book would help me get a better understanding on the story.
Katrina Meltsner talking to Katrina Shanks Video
(Pamela Hayden and Audrey Wasilewski face-off)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDHyEphRM4g

Yep. Using my signature for a shameless plug. But trust me. If I can be so arrogant, I think it'll be worth your time.
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

"The Great Hunt" book 2 in the "Wheel of Time" series by Robert Jordan \:D/ The books are good :yes:
~Forever at her Savior's side.~
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

The Great Airport Mystery
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Scion's Light
Fire = good
Fire = good

Post by Scion's Light »

Well, I just finished a book called "The Fifth Man" and am now reading a book called "The Onceprince".
ImageImageImage

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." -Edgar Allen Poe: Eleonora
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

Black by Ted Dekker.

Till the end of the line.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Where Grace Abides, it was excellent. The only problem is I have to wait until next year to read the finale and that will drive me absolutely crazy!! Up next for me is Seek Me with all your Heart by Beth Wiseman. It is the first book in her Land of Canaan series/trilogy.
Last edited by Laurie on Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Finally finished the Count of Monte Cristo! Quite possibly the best book I've ever read.
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

I am reading Thought Waters Roar by Lynn Austin. It's a great book so far!
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
Dakota
Found

Post by Dakota »

The Wells Fargo Trail Series, Book 3, The Rail Kings, by Jim Walker.

Powerful lords fought for the railroad passage through the Rockies. It took a man who couldn't be bought to stop them.
I'za weirdo.
AIO Psyche
Geniune Disney Cast Member

Post by AIO Psyche »

I'm prolly the only person who hasn't actually read The Da Vinci Code, so I just downloaded it, and am reading it as we speak.

I'm about 3 chapters in, and it's pretty good so far. It seems very researched and authentic in it's settings and references.

I can't put it down, so that is a good sign! I'll let you know once I finish it! :D
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

AIO Psyche wrote:I'm prolly the only person who hasn't actually read The Da Vinci Code, so I just downloaded it, and am reading it as we speak.

I'm about 3 chapters in, and it's pretty good so far. It seems very researched and authentic in it's settings and references.

I can't put it down, so that is a good sign! I'll let you know once I finish it! :D
Enjoy it as fiction, but don't get entirely taken in by it's appearance of historical accuracy. I haven't read the book, but I had a university professor who had and talked about some of the errors that are made, despite the author's early claims of historical accuracy. A quick Google search turned up a handy Wikipedia section and another article as well. After (or while) you read the book, if you're interested in checking on some of the seemingly accurate "facts," you'll find lots of stuff online! Click and click. As long as you don't mistake it for non-fiction, it will hopefully be enjoyable!

I'm reading "Under Cover of Darkness" by Elizabeth (Beth) White. I really enjoy her books! This is the first book in her Texas Gatekeepers trilogy. I've read the second and third ones already, which I usually avoid, but it was hard to track down the first book. It's good so far, though the third book still might end up being my favourite.
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

I started reading the Hunger Games after I saw it in the School library. I'm not sure if I like it?

Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Seek Me with all your Heart last night, excellent book. I am now starting A Hope Undaunted by Julie Lessman.
Shadowfax

Post by Shadowfax »

Twilight by Stephanie Meyer. Good book. :inlove:
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

I was bored so I read "The Mysterious Benedict Society." It's geared for a slightly younger age group, which you would never guess from its length being near 500 pages, but it was really good. I finished it in an afternoon because it was so gripping.
he/him | a little stinker.
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

Currently Reading:
  • Proverbs (Solomon, mostly)
  • Hosea (Hosea)
  • Do Hard Things (Alex and Brett Harris)
  • Generation Ex-Christian (Drew Dyck)
Just Finished:
  • The Big Picture (Ben Carson, MD)
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Well, I did it! I finished reading a book. =D> It's seriously been 6+ months since I completed any type of book. Oh, I started plenty, though. I just get about 20 pages in and think, "Why am I reading this, again?" Needless to say, I get bored reading quickly. Maybe I have like a teenage version of ADHD. \:D/

The book was Brian's Winter, sequel to Hatchet (which I haven't read). It took me about a month to read, which says something, I guess. ;) I enjoyed imagining myself as Brian with his little shelter in the cold. I mentally mapped out the surrounding areas and different places I'd hunt and get firewood. It was enjoyable.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.