Clara's Age

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
H Tide
Sing in the sunshine

Clara's Age

Post by H Tide »

So a little random thing I was wondering about. I was talking with my younger brother about Whit and Jenny, and then we started talking about Clara. I was wondering how old she was when she sent the letter to Whit. I had always assumed she was around in her twenties. But Whit met Clara when she was six around the time his wife died. That happened 4 years before Connie started working at Whit's End. If Odyssey time was following real time, then Clara wrote the letter 13 years later after meeting Whit, which would make her about 19. What do you all think about this?
Boswell
Classic

Post by Boswell »

H Tide wrote:So a little random thing I was wondering about. I was talking with my younger brother about Whit and Jenny, and then we started talking about Clara. I was wondering how old she was when she sent the letter to Whit. I had always assumed she was around in her twenties. But Whit met Clara when she was six around the time his wife died. That happened 4 years before Connie started working at Whit's End. If Odyssey time was following real time, then Clara wrote the letter 13 years later after meeting Whit, which would make her about 19. What do you all think about this?
Well, there goes that argument... :-
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

It sounds right to me.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
H Tide
Sing in the sunshine

Post by H Tide »

Boswell wrote:
Well, there goes that argument... :-
Hehe....I knew you'd pick up on that! ;) I have this fantasy that Odyssey time corresponds with our time. I like continuity and the whole age thing working out logically. Connie should've taught me otherwise.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

Odyssey follows real time sometimes, obviously not with Connie, but mostly yeah, that does sound right to me too. Even if Odyssey doesn't follow real time, I think Clara being 19 when she wrote that letter is right.

Till the end of the line.
Crazy 4 Pugs
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Crazy 4 Pugs »

Off the top of my head (i.e. without checking dates) that sounds about right. But given Odyssey's sense of time, Clara could have been anywhere between 10 and 80 when she wrote that letter :)
Um, I guess this is where I'm supposed to say something funny or interesting.
H Tide
Sing in the sunshine

Post by H Tide »

Wow, such mature writing from a 10-year old! :lol:
therealjoecool
Not as new
Post by therealjoecool »

You know, being that it was such a fan favorite episode, it's ashame that Clara has never visited Whit in Odyssey. It could have made for a really good story two or three episode story arc. That said, I think I would have preferred it when Paul was Whit, as that was probably his first truly "classic" episode as Whit. On a side note, the next episode, Solitary Refinement is actually one of my favorite episodes. God used that episode to inspire me to take a much-needed personal retreat one time.
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

I can honestly say I've never heard Clara; all I know is that she was voiced by Aria Curzon and that something to do with her caused a rift between Whit and Jack. So I guess she's nineteen or something like y'all are theorizing.

If only the age of the other character her actress voiced was so easy to figure out...
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Dallas R.
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Dallas R. »

therealjoecool wrote:You know, being that it was such a fan favorite episode, it's ashame that Clara has never visited Whit in Odyssey. It could have made for a really good story two or three episode story arc. That said, I think I would have preferred it when Paul was Whit, as that was probably his first truly "classic" episode as Whit. On a side note, the next episode, Solitary Refinement is actually one of my favorite episodes. God used that episode to inspire me to take a much-needed personal retreat one time.
It definitely would have been a pretty cool idea, especially for something like the commemorative album 50, but it just wouldn't be the same anymore without Paul, and with the whole relaunch, it wouldn't feel the same.
Katrina Meltsner talking to Katrina Shanks Video
(Pamela Hayden and Audrey Wasilewski face-off)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDHyEphRM4g

Yep. Using my signature for a shameless plug. But trust me. If I can be so arrogant, I think it'll be worth your time.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Dallas R. wrote:
therealjoecool wrote:You know, being that it was such a fan favorite episode, it's ashame that Clara has never visited Whit in Odyssey. It could have made for a really good story two or three episode story arc. That said, I think I would have preferred it when Paul was Whit, as that was probably his first truly "classic" episode as Whit. On a side note, the next episode, Solitary Refinement is actually one of my favorite episodes. God used that episode to inspire me to take a much-needed personal retreat one time.
It definitely would have been a pretty cool idea, especially for something like the commemorative album 50, but it just wouldn't be the same anymore without Paul, and with the whole relaunch, it wouldn't feel the same.
Indeed. It could have been a fantastic idea, but it's too late now, and it would be really awkward with both Mandy and Clara in town. ;)

Clara: "Hey, you sound a lot like Aria Curzon!"
Mandy: "No way, you do too!"

Or perhaps Clara's voice would've changed over time. Either way, things seem different with Andre instead of Paul.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
therealjoecool
Not as new
Post by therealjoecool »

TigerintheShadows wrote:I can honestly say I've never heard Clara; all I know is that she was voiced by Aria Curzon and that something to do with her caused a rift between Whit and Jack. So I guess she's nineteen or something like y'all are theorizing.

If only the age of the other character her actress voiced was so easy to figure out...
You should definitely give that episode a listen whenever you get the chance. It was a fantastic episode— one that really solidified Paul as Whit. Classic Jack too, and he's probably my favorite character in the whole show. As much as I love Whit, especially Hal's, I really am a huge fan of the Jack/Jason years.