Odyssey + the Real World

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

I was half-watching an episode of The Cosby Show last night when I heard "Dr. Blair, Dr. Blair..." [over a hospital intercom], and the way it was said made me sit up and look at the TV; it sounded very similar to "Dr. Davis, telephone please, Dr. Davis, telephone please" in "Karen"! Speaking of The Cosby Show, I had never seen it before this week, and my first thought was of Bill Crosby from "The Present Long Ago." \:D/

And since I'm posting here, one of my textbooks referenced an old TV show called Bonanza, a western featuring the Cartwright family (a la Young Guns Bonanza and the Cartwoods). :yes:

EDIT: Whoa, talk about deja vu! Minutes after posting this, I was in my car listening to the radio, and I heard that "Dr. Davis, telephone please, Dr. Davis, telephone please" line as the first part to a commercial. I had just listened to that part of "Karen" to make sure I got the wording right, and so I thought I was hearing things when those same words came out of my radio!
IamConnie
Gold Member

Post by IamConnie »

Ok, so I teach a worldview class with a friend of mine, and my sister is in this class, so she knows I love Odyssey (my friend knows that too). Anyway, we'll be talking about the depravity of man or something worldviewish and I'll suddenly go, "Oh, oh, oh! This reminds me of the Odyssey episode..." and my sister will roll her eyes. My friend just shakes his head. Since I have all the episodes (including the truth chronicles and lost episodes) on my iPod, I can listen to it at work (which is a library). So I'm sure there are people looking at me funny because I randomly (to them) burst into laughter. It's so funny when I try to explain Odyssey to my co-workers, one of which is my best friend. They just shake their heads at me. It's so nice to have something in common here. I'm finally understood! :yay:
They say all roads lead to Rome, and all roads lead through Indiana. But I say that in the world of Odyssey, all roads lead to Novacom.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

Yeah, most of my friends are totally lost when I reference to AIO. :-
IamConnie
Gold Member

Post by IamConnie »

My sister and my friend get the references, but they're just not as into AIO as I am.
They say all roads lead to Rome, and all roads lead through Indiana. But I say that in the world of Odyssey, all roads lead to Novacom.
Dallas R.
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Dallas R. »

It's great that this post has reappeared. I didn't think we'd come back to using again, but I was just considering searching for it because when I was driving through town on Saturday, I saw a store called, "The Imagination Station" and I really wanted to get out and see what was inside. I I even hoped that I might just jump into the past and experience a bible story if I went inside.
Katrina Meltsner talking to Katrina Shanks Video
(Pamela Hayden and Audrey Wasilewski face-off)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDHyEphRM4g

Yep. Using my signature for a shameless plug. But trust me. If I can be so arrogant, I think it'll be worth your time.
EMBEE
I've been working out
Location: Where is here? The last time I checked it was the same place as usual.

Post by EMBEE »

Let's see here...
I know a Whittaker family.
I also know a Morton family.
I know an Avery and my 2nd cousin (a girl) was almost named Avery.
My homeschool band director is named Tom Rye (Tom Riley)
A Dr. Meltsner did stitches on my sister a few years ago.
A McDonald's Monopoly stamp that said Marvin Gardens on it reminded me of Marvin Washington.
There is a playground called The Imagination Station near where my grandparents live.
Thanks to my Secret Santa for the set!
Macy's Corner | My Tumblr | Deviant Art
Eight Muppety Notes: Tumblr | Twitter
Official Term 17 moderator
She left many of us behind. She left us heartbroken. And though we cry now there'll come a time when we'll laugh. Because we'll see her again someday. We'll be with her in heaven. And when we go to heaven she'll be there to greet us. She'll be there to say "Welcome home." -From a poem that SnC wrote about her grandmother
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

My fourth grade teacher had the last name Whitaker (then she married my middle school choir teacher/show choir director), and I absolutely LOVED her.

There was a guy in that same show choir who is a year older than me whose last name is Morton.

And I also know a guy with glasses and straight brown hair (which I have always pictured Trent as having for some reason) who is named Trent and is best friends with a kid named Marvin (who is not black, but is Hispanic, so the skin tone is almost the same). If Trent falls in love with a blond girl named Amanda (or Mandy; one of the two), I'm gonna laugh so hard...
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

I know someone who's engaged to a John Whittaker. Ha, both names! \:D/

In recent news, my roommate asked me the other day how to spell "definitely," and I thought of "A Lesson from Mike."

And then I read about the Wootton Bassett of Wiltshire, England in a news article.
TigerintheShadows

Whenever anyone in my immediate family has a random moment when they're spacing out, we call it "pulling a Trent." Whenever we have a moment where someone's freaking out, we call it "pulling a Jared."
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
AIO tumblr sideblog
IamConnie
Gold Member

Post by IamConnie »

Now, every time I hear the Jared commercials, I'm reminded of Jared DeWhite. "He went to Jared!" now makes me crack up. Why would anyone go to AIO's Jared for an engagement ring? For all we know, he's probably bugged it!
TigerintheShadows

If anybody wound up turning to Jared with problems--i.e. Trent, in a time of the reeeeeally ultimate desperation, needs "brotherly advice" on girl problems--I would LOVE to see how that would turn out.
AIO tumblr sideblog
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

"And then throw mud on her."
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
IamConnie
Gold Member

Post by IamConnie »

Yes, that would be incredibly amusing. However, I think Jared's a little busy at the moment with the whole investigating the president thing to be giving any brotherly advice. What episode did he say to throw mud on her? I can't remember that one.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

I recently had an experience similar to Connie's in Have You No Selpurcs. In this instance, however, I ordered an item online but didn't pay for it. I didn't expect them to ship the item, since I hadn't finalized the payment. However, I received an email confirmation of my order, and then got the item in the mail a few days later. Rather than sending it back, however, I chose to keep it. But not before completing the online transaction and paying for it.

Man, I shouldn't have paid. :(
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

Haha, I recently had a Have You No Selpurcsesque moment too. :highfive:

I ordered a book online, and it kept not coming and not coming, and finally, when the deadline had more than passed and I couldn't get in touch with the seller, I contacted Amazon about getting a refund. They replied that my refund was processing, but to reply such-and-such if the item finally did come. Well, the day they sent me the notification that I had been refunded, I got the item in the mail. :mad: I sent the reply email with the "yes I did get it" box checked, but didn't hear back from them for several days, and was in a bit of a quandary about what I should do. Some of my friends advised me to do nothing, since it had, after all, been the seller's fault it arrived so late (advice which also reminded me of that episode ;) ). Thankfully, Amazon came through and did recharge me that amount... though I doubt the negligent seller would've noticed if they hadn't. O:)
TigerintheShadows

In church today, we talked about how we are the salt of the earth; the light of the world. One of the teachers mentioned Matthew 7:13: "Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many." I instantly thought of "The Great Wishy Woz."
AIO tumblr sideblog
IamConnie
Gold Member

Post by IamConnie »

Everytime I eat Macaroni'N'Cheese, I can't help but listen/sing to Ode to Macaroni. I'm going to make it a tradition, I think.
TigerintheShadows

Once, I mentioned to my mom that my school was having a talent show, and she told me to wear a sparkly red dress and sing "Ode to Macaroni."
AIO tumblr sideblog
EMBEE
I've been working out
Location: Where is here? The last time I checked it was the same place as usual.

Post by EMBEE »

Yesterday my family and I were in the car and there was a lady in the lane next to us who (at least from the side) looked exactly like Chris Anthony! I tried not to stare...
Thanks to my Secret Santa for the set!
Macy's Corner | My Tumblr | Deviant Art
Eight Muppety Notes: Tumblr | Twitter
Official Term 17 moderator
She left many of us behind. She left us heartbroken. And though we cry now there'll come a time when we'll laugh. Because we'll see her again someday. We'll be with her in heaven. And when we go to heaven she'll be there to greet us. She'll be there to say "Welcome home." -From a poem that SnC wrote about her grandmother
IamConnie
Gold Member

Post by IamConnie »

There's a book called "Graceling" and it's about a girl who has different colored eyes, blue and green eyes. That's the predominant color in the gifted or "graced" people in that world, but there are some with gold and silver eyes. However, the dual colored eyes caused me to think about the stories of Marus, such as Fletcher's Rebellion.