Ok, tech savvy folks,

another question

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Ok, tech savvy folks,

Post by Jonathan »

Is there any good free m4a to mp3 converter available?
Azariah Ben Yaakov
100% Kosher
100% Kosher
Location: Chillin. Probably sniffing your connection for passwords \:D/

Post by Azariah Ben Yaakov »

http://www.download.com/Free-Mp3-Wma-Co ... 42362.html

Never used it personally, but that appears to be the ideal choice according to my google results, and DL.com :P
Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

Nero Wave Editor. It worked perfectly for me when a friend gave me a bunch of songs off of his iPod. It's not a converter primarily, but if you open an AAC file, you can save it as an mp3, converting it that way.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

I believe iTunes will do it.

Unless i'm mistaken....it will definitely convert AAC...I believe m4a's as well...if all else fails burn it to a cd and rip it as MP3
serrebi
29K to go!

Post by serrebi »

I know your going to have quality deprevation anyway, but the thought of going through the work of burning and ripping a cd, ug... doesn't make it any easier IMPO, so here's what I use to convert my files to different formats.
http://mediacoder.sourceforge.net/
Good luck. Hope you have a good experience. I've never had to convert those files. IF it's itunes protected, you could try
http://www.doubletwist.com/
Though I've never used it because I won't buy anything from itunes. totally legal , btw, as it uses analogue methods to convert the files and I think is probably the closest thing to exact audio you would get from the m4a or aac from the Itunes Music Store.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Thanks for the links folks ^_^

I actually have another question--how do you combine tracks? I want to put one of the more recent AIO albums on my computer as mp3 format, and I need to combine the three episode tracks into one.
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

I.E. Put 3 episodes together?

Use Audacity.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Audacity is probably one of the best free sound editing program.
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
Forte
OK

Post by Forte »

I'm not really savvy on audio editing, but if I were to try and combine tracks, I'd probably just lay them all out in Audacity side-by-side (dragging + dropping works fine, I think), as long as you don't mind having the episodes lead into each other back-to-back. That way you can export them with the bitrate that you want as one continuous track.

If you wanted to get a bit more in-depth with the audio editing (splicing the episodes together, cutting out the intros and outros, etc., so they seemlessly play without interruptions), it's not a very difficult program to figure out. And it's free, so it's definitely one I'd suggest if you're tight on the cash. :3

EDIT: Whoops, I was beat to it. xD
|My LiveJournal|My Facebook (Add me, please! I need a reason to use it! :P|

I like changing my avatar a lot, so expect a new one every now and then.
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

You explain it better though. ;)

Or, if you would rather someone else do it, I can throw it together and send it back, I use a expensive professional program.
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

No, not three episodes together--on the new AIO albums each episode is divided into three tracks. I want all those tracks to be one track.

But it looks like what you guys suggested will work for that too, thanks for the info ^_^
Samwise
Love to love

Post by Samwise »

Here's another vote for Audacity.
Agent3xq
I eat combination locks
I eat combination locks

Post by Agent3xq »

Alright, since we're on the subject of Audacity. All of a sudden, my audacity will not record at all. I don't think I made any sound adjustments or changes so I dont understand what's wrong. I even reinstalled it and it still won't work. If I press the record button it won't record any sounds. It just records a line and I don't understand why. Any ideas or suggestions? :pray:
I believe in the place where the mind and the heart unite at faith
Forte
OK

Post by Forte »

Agent3xq wrote:Alright, since we're on the subject of Audacity. All of a sudden, my audacity will not record at all. I don't think I made any sound adjustments or changes so I dont understand what's wrong. I even reinstalled it and it still won't work. If I press the record button it won't record any sounds. It just records a line and I don't understand why. Any ideas or suggestions? :pray:
Sometimes that happens to me, as well. When that happens, I take what I call a dual-sided 3mm (or 1/8", whatever the measurements) line-in cord and plug one side into the microphone jack and the other side into the headphone jack. This makes it so that whatever comes out of the speakers will be rerouted into the microphone jack, which will then be recorded as it plays.

These are relatively easy to find, especially if you can find a cassette tape adaptor that allows you to disconnect the cord from the tape accessory. I couldn't tell you where to find them, but if you look at K-Mart/Target/Best Buy/etc., you could probably find one for cheap. Or just buy the cord separately, which may or may not be available at the same places. I just got mine from my brother, so I don't know where to buy them.

This is just the way I do it, so I can't clarify with 100% certainty that it will work for other people, however. :3
|My LiveJournal|My Facebook (Add me, please! I need a reason to use it! :P|

I like changing my avatar a lot, so expect a new one every now and then.
Agent3xq
I eat combination locks
I eat combination locks

Post by Agent3xq »

Forte wrote:
Agent3xq wrote:Alright, since we're on the subject of Audacity. All of a sudden, my audacity will not record at all. I don't think I made any sound adjustments or changes so I dont understand what's wrong. I even reinstalled it and it still won't work. If I press the record button it won't record any sounds. It just records a line and I don't understand why. Any ideas or suggestions? :pray:
Sometimes that happens to me, as well. When that happens, I take what I call a dual-sided 3mm (or 1/8", whatever the measurements) line-in cord and plug one side into the microphone jack and the other side into the headphone jack. This makes it so that whatever comes out of the speakers will be rerouted into the microphone jack, which will then be recorded as it plays.

These are relatively easy to find, especially if you can find a cassette tape adaptor that allows you to disconnect the cord from the tape accessory. I couldn't tell you where to find them, but if you look at K-Mart/Target/Best Buy/etc., you could probably find one for cheap. Or just buy the cord separately, which may or may not be available at the same places. I just got mine from my brother, so I don't know where to buy them.

This is just the way I do it, so I can't clarify with 100% certainty that it will work for other people, however. :3
Thanks a bunch for your help! I found old speakers and disconnected the cords to get the cord I needed and it's working wonderfully! :)
I believe in the place where the mind and the heart unite at faith
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

Oh how I love tech savvy ToO boys! :inlove:
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Frank wrote:Oh how I love tech savvy ToO boys! :inlove:
:rofl:
It's good to have you back, Frank! :hug:
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

Why thank you. :inlove:
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

Chandler wrote:
:rofl:
It's good to have you back, Frank! :hug:
Even though you're not a tech-savvy ToO boy, I'll hug you anyway, Chandler dear...it's very good to see your loving posts again. :hug: