Mac vs. PC

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!

Do you like the Mac or the PC?

Mac
43%
PC
57%

Total votes: 51

J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Ditto that, my family has been running windows since 1998 and we have yet to get a virus.. We had internet the whole time too. \:D/
...I hate marquees.
Applesauce
I'm memorable

Post by Applesauce »

I've grown up with PCs, but I'm currently looking to get a MacBook. I prefer PC when it comes to general use (mainly because it's what I'm used to), but since I'm looking into pursuing some sort of video production, I want a Mac (editing on a PC tends to kill the computer). ;)
Smushed and Spicy! \:D/

I really need to change my avatar...
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Post by jasonjannajerryjohn »

I have a PC so I can play games on it. I don't think that Mac supports games.
Peri: Do you mean the TARDIS is malfunctioning again?
The Doctor: Malfunctioning? [pause] Malfunctioning? MALFUNCTIONING!?
Me
An original

Post by Me »

Applesauce wrote:I've grown up with PCs, but I'm currently looking to get a MacBook. I prefer PC when it comes to general use (mainly because it's what I'm used to), but since I'm looking into pursuing some sort of video production, I want a Mac (editing on a PC tends to kill the computer). ;)
That's just because you don't have a good computer. ;) I've been doing editing (hi-def footage, even), motion graphics, etc on a PC for 7 years now... never had a problem.

EDIT: I'll also add that 90% of large budget feature film work is done on PC's. Editing, FX, compositing, etc.
Clodius Albinus
Smile for the camera

Post by Clodius Albinus »

jasonjannajerryjohn wrote:I have a PC so I can play games on it. I don't think that Mac supports games.
Indeed not. When a game is loaded onto a Mac, the system responds in horror, launching Safari instead or suggesting that you waste your time listening to iTunes purchases rather than playing some game. You, however, are too kind to the brand.

Macs do not simply decline to support games. They are generally unsupportive, which is why the systems bombard users with bomb threats whenever the user does something the Mac dislikes. And you can rest assured that the computer will accuse you of performing an illegal action, whereas a more supportive operating system might say something like "That was a good attempt" or "We can work this out."
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust."
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Clodius Albinus wrote:
jasonjannajerryjohn wrote:I have a PC so I can play games on it. I don't think that Mac supports games.
Indeed not. When a game is loaded onto a Mac, the system responds in horror, launching Safari instead or suggesting that you waste your time listening to iTunes purchases rather than playing some game. You, however, are too kind to the brand.

Macs do not simply decline to support games. They are generally unsupportive, which is why the systems bombard users with bomb threats whenever the user does something the Mac dislikes. And you can rest assured that the computer will accuse you of performing an illegal action, whereas a more supportive operating system might say something like "That was a good attempt" or "We can work this out."
O.......K...... :anxious:
Skid
Still standing tall

Post by Skid »

I go with the PC for the game reason as well, and because I'm used to it. Though I do agree that Vista appears to be the slowest of the series so far.
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Skid wrote:I go with the PC for the game reason as well, and because I'm used to it. Though I do agree that Vista appears to be the slowest of the series so far.
You just said a moutful!
FrayedAroundTheEdges
i hold the hand that holds the world

Post by FrayedAroundTheEdges »

jasonjannajerryjohn wrote:
Clodius Albinus wrote:

O.......K...... :anxious:
hahahaha...in the words of Kelly's "Shoes" vid... >_> stupid boyz

anywhooooz for those of us who dont like playin games on the computer an would much rather use it for music an the internet an such, id definitly choose mac... i luv my mac book an its way easier to use itunes on an actual mac then on my pc :shame:
]Lost and insecure, you found me, lyin on the floor...
whyd you have to wait? where were you?
just a little late...you found me
<3 The Fray --> You Found Me
Samwise
Love to love

Post by Samwise »

My home-built PC is a charm. Will continue using it... along with my mac. :P
I generally like PC for desktop and Mac laptops.
Azariah Ben Yaakov
100% Kosher
100% Kosher
Location: Chillin. Probably sniffing your connection for passwords \:D/

Post by Azariah Ben Yaakov »

I cant Believe Linux is not on this list. Linux swamps both Windows, and macs.

My Desktop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_tO_driV8k

(Sorry bout the lag, its not encoded real well)

Ubuntu Linux ;). Do you know a mac or pc that can do that?

No.

Thats just on the graphical engine side. Linux is Completely Customizable in every way possible, Its more reliable than a pc, or mac, Way more secure, because Linux Viruses, are a quite a bit more infrequent to see, than on a mac, or pc, and yes, there are mac viruses. Not a load of them, but there are some. And Pc's are the mot targeted operating system in the world. Linux Provides, Stability, Secureness, a Fun environment, Complete Customizable Computing, and its open source. Free.

How Much does a mac computer cost?

Over 1,00.

How much does a Decent Windows computer cost? over 800.

How much do you pay for linux, which obviously, rules over all these?

Nothing.

Free.

Edit: I was browsing and found this site. Watch these three Videos if you like the Mac ads ;).

http://reverendted.wordpress.com/2007/0 ... linux-fit/

Edit #2: http://www.informationweek.com/news/sho ... =199201179

Check that out for a nice comparison of ubuntu to Windows.

And for alll those mac users, you are no longer the most secure OS ;). You have more viruses designed for you than linux does :)
Samwise
Love to love

Post by Samwise »

You're right, Ubuntu should be up there! I really like the OS. I usually have at least two OSs on my PC (Linux, Win XP, and a third... like OS X) :p

When I get my black macbook this week, I'll probably put Windows and Ubuntu in it as well.
Azariah Ben Yaakov
100% Kosher
100% Kosher
Location: Chillin. Probably sniffing your connection for passwords \:D/

Post by Azariah Ben Yaakov »

Samwise wrote:You're right, Ubuntu should be up there! I really like the OS. I usually have at least two OSs on my PC (Linux, Win XP, and a third... like OS X) :p

When I get my black macbook this week, I'll probably put Windows and Ubuntu in it as well.
Yeah. Im dual booting Vista and Ubuntu Right now, But I dont even use Windows hardly anymore. I think the last time I actually booted into vista was a few months ago :P I run Wine for all the stuff I need, and have been looking into VMware. Havnt tried it yet, but probably will before too long. I havnt found a need for any of my windows apps, because their are generally so many open source equivalents. And when I do, Like I said, I open Wine.

As far as games, there is CrossOver and such like, but I havnt tried that, as I dont play that many games.
FrayedAroundTheEdges

Darkhacker902 wrote:
Samwise wrote:You're right, Ubuntu should be up there! I really like the OS. I usually have at least two OSs on my PC (Linux, Win XP, and a third... like OS X) :p

Yeah. Im dual booting Vista and Ubuntu Right now, But I dont even use Windows hardly anymore. I think the last time I actually booted into vista was a few months ago :P I run Wine for all the stuff I need, and have been looking into VMware. Havnt tried it yet, but probably will before too long. I havnt found a need for any of my windows apps, because their are generally so many open source equivalents. And when I do, Like I said, I open Wine.

As far as games, there is CrossOver and such like, but I havnt tried that, as I dont play that many games.
:boohoo: **tries to slowly read ryan an samwises posts but soon realizes how far overr my head this convo quickly bacame** :boohoo:

!!macs!!
Old Brad
I've been working out

Post by Old Brad »

I decided to even it up. :p I haven't actually used a mac before, so I'm kind of biased. I want to try out a mac sometime though.
“For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him."
FrayedAroundTheEdges

Bradley Doyle wrote:I decided to even it up. :p I haven't actually used a mac before, so I'm kind of biased. I want to try out a mac sometime though.
macs have these lil things called PHOTO BOOTHS!!! AHHHH ♥♥♥♥♥

btw bradley ticker factory rox my sox!!
Samwise
Love to love

Post by Samwise »

Haha Photobooth is great! Yesterday several families came over to our house and the kids were entertained (and ROFLOLing) for hours with photobooth. It's a great babysitting tool!

For PCers: I have a PC stuck under my desk. It's fully operational but I decided to hook all my peripherals to my laptop for now.
FrayedAroundTheEdges

Samwise wrote:Haha Photobooth is great! Yesterday several families came over to our house and the kids were entertained (and ROFLOLing) for hours with photobooth. It's a great babysitting tool!

For PCers: I have a PC stuck under my desk. It's fully operational but I decided to hook all my peripherals to my laptop for now.
i know right! these lil oyz came ovr an there were like 4 of em an they are CRAZZZZY an my mom had jus gotten a bunch of macbooks frm where she works *cuz shes a tech teacher* an we literally spent about 3 hrs just messin around with em...my favs are definitly the thermal one an the buldge one ROFL!!!
WINDSHEAR
Name Eater

Post by WINDSHEAR »

PC's are definitely superior. Macs support next to nothing, and the main reason they usually don't get viruses is because nobody uses them -- for good reason. :noway:

And I can agree, Vista is garbage. Windows XP all the way! :protest:
JIA (9/13/2008 10:54:27 AM): That long?!
JIA (9/13/2008 10:54:31 AM): IT WAS EONS AGO!
JIA (9/13/2008 10:54:33 AM): *falls over*
WINDSHEAR (9/13/2008 10:54:46 AM): I've already fallen over and died :noway:
WINDSHEAR (9/13/2008 10:54:47 AM): I beat you. :neener:
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Unfortunatly, no one makes XP anymore, and I am stuck using Vista... :sniff: