Walker Edmiston

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Thanks so much for posting that, Darcie and Jonathan! That was really nice! It is great that they talked to Will Ryan and mentioned AIO, but it was nice to read about all the other things that he was involved in as well.
underdogfan710
Pilgrim

Post by underdogfan710 »

When I came in several days ago, I saw the headline "WALKER EDMISTON" above everything else, and I really do think my heart skipped a beat.

I was praying as I clicked on the link that it was just news that he - I dunno, had a stroke or something - but it wasn't to be. :cry: At least now he is in heaven with Hal Smith.

We should all PM Nathan and ask him what's going to happen to Tom and Bart.
God promises a safe landing, not smooth passage.

:shocking: + :jester: = :mad:
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

underdogfan710 wrote:When I came in several days ago, I saw the headline "WALKER EDMISTON" above everything else, and I really do think my heart skipped a beat.

I was praying as I clicked on the link that it was just news that he - I dunno, had a stroke or something - but it wasn't to be. :cry: At least now he is in heaven with Hal Smith.

We should all PM Nathan and ask him what's going to happen to Tom and Bart.
No we shouldn't. They'll take care of it in there own time. You must realise that they all just lost a friend, and, well, I'm sure they don't need to be rushed to make the best decision for the show.
underdogfan710
Pilgrim

Post by underdogfan710 »

Sorry.
God promises a safe landing, not smooth passage.

:shocking: + :jester: = :mad:
Jimmy Barclay Fan
Classic

Post by Jimmy Barclay Fan »

When Hal Smith died, I actually called Focus and asked what would happen. They said they were working on a program. I thought Whit would die as well and listened every week to see what would happen. I am glad he was recast, and only moved away for a while.

Tom should not move away. He is in his 70's or 80. He has lived in Odyssey all his life and has served well and has a center. Its too late to start over somewhere else.

The only reason to is if a place can help Agnes, I guess.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Jimmy Barclay wrote: The only reason to is if a place can help Agnes, I guess.
It's not what I'd prefer, but I could see that... maybe find some voice clips to give him a final farewell, then he goes off to another city with some facility that would be better for his wife...
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

The Top Crusader wrote:
It's not what I'd prefer, but I could see that... maybe find some voice clips to give him a final farewell, then he goes off to another city with some facility that would be better for his wife...
That actually would be a great idea.

But...I mean...it would be hard to do; and I would only see it as a one episode deal, ya know--after him being on the show for so long--and have him leave and have it only explained in one ep...would be...well, it wouldn't do him justice.
snowflake
Found

Post by snowflake »

Bennett wrote:
The Top Crusader wrote:
That actually would be a great idea.

But...I mean...it would be hard to do; and I would only see it as a one episode deal, ya know--after him being on the show for so long--and have him leave and have it only explained in one ep...would be...well, it wouldn't do him justice.
I feel like it would be more honoring to Walker Edmiston's wonderful life to have Tom die. It's sad, yes, but honoring...

Thanks Lucy Pevensie for my awsome avatar and signature!!!

Yes, I know it's no longer Christmas but right after I change it it will be again so just get over it...
WindowWasher
I've been here a bit

Post by WindowWasher »

That's a great idea. Have him move so Agnes can get better help. I hate having fictional characters die especially ones you grew up with. I have to deal with death enough in real life, now I have to deal with it in a fictional town that I love to escape to? I know we have had past episodes where people have died, Karen, Tom's son, but this is a MAIN character that we all love, why do we NEED to have him die? He's fictional, he can live forever. I would rather think that Tom is someplace else and doing other things, than knowing that he's dead and his life on earth is over. I know I'm in the minority on this and I'm guessing that AIO will probably kill him off since most of the fans want that but I just hate when fiction ends up imitating real life.
Exercise Daily-Walk with The Lord!
Conniepaw
Smile for the camera

Post by Conniepaw »

But if they had Tom move away someone might wonder why he never comes and visits Odyssey.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Conniepaw wrote:But if they had Tom move away someone might wonder why he never comes and visits Odyssey.
Think back to when Hal Smith died. The AIO team handled that loss very well and I am sure that they will handle this loss just as well. Long time listeners will know and new listeners will be able to find out given all of the AIO websites that are around. The Soda Fountain has it posted and we have talked about it here. Hopefully, Nathan or one of the team members will post a notice, or mention will be made on the podcast after everyone has had a chance to greive. These things take time, it was a sad loss for the entire AIO family. We need to be patient and give everyone a chance.
Conniepaw
Smile for the camera

Post by Conniepaw »

Laurie wrote:
Conniepaw wrote:But if they had Tom move away someone might wonder why he never comes and visits Odyssey.
Think back to when Hal Smith died. The AIO team handled that loss very well and I am sure that they will handle this loss just as well. Long time listeners will know and new listeners will be able to find out given all of the AIO websites that are around. The Soda Fountain has it posted and we have talked about it here. Hopefully, Nathan or one of the team members will post a notice, or mention will be made on the podcast after everyone has had a chance to greive. These things take time, it was a sad loss for the entire AIO family. We need to be patient and give everyone a chance.
I know, i was just disagreeing with the idea that Tom should move away, it would lose the feeling of what has happened.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

WindowWasher wrote:but I just hate when fiction ends up imitating real life.
'scuze me? Isn't that one of the goals of Odyssey?
AIO Psyche
Geniune Disney Cast Member

Post by AIO Psyche »

Wow.........this thread was the first thing I saw when I loged in. What a way to rejoin the board.............

Walker, you are a dear friend in spirit and mind. Your legacy will live longer than all of us.

You shall truely be missed.

RIP
GlennAdams
Expecting a battle

Post by GlennAdams »

that stinks.... #-o
I do what I do.
WindowWasher
I've been here a bit

Post by WindowWasher »

I know Odyssey fictionalizes real life situations but I hate it when fiction follows too closely with real life. In a fictional world you don't have the boundaries that you have in real life and many times you need to think outside the box. Just because an actor dies doesn't mean we "must have" a death episode. Odyssey pretends to be a real life town with real life people and deals with real life issues but you CAN make up your own rules. And I don't understand why killing off Tom would be "honoring" Mr. Edmiston. Did Mr. Edmiston say that if he died he wanted Tom to die? So if Tom was sent away does that mean we are dishonoring Mr. Edmiston?
Exercise Daily-Walk with The Lord!
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

WindowWasher wrote:but you CAN make up your own rules.
The writers can, yes. But if it gets unbelievable they lose a good chunk of their fan base (see spring 2000 for proof).
Did Mr. Edmiston say that if he died he wanted Tom to die? So if Tom was sent away does that mean we are dishonoring Mr. Edmiston?
I don't know and I don't know.

I trust that the team will handle it well, and we shouldn't worry too much about it, I think.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I found this article in a Google search...it has a bit more information about Walker Edmiston's career, and it's quite interesting! :)
Nasri
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Nasri »

Helen Stoner wrote::(
Tom Riley and Bart Rathbone, gone?
... but not forgotten.
/me mourns.
:mecry: no more Bart Rathbone and Tom Riley no more

Check out my newspaper To0 Star
Jimmy Barclay Fan
Classic

Post by Jimmy Barclay Fan »

I erased the you tube clip, and put a new one up. The other one you could see something reflected at beginning, and the TV screen at the end.

I just wanted to clarify I think Tom should NOT move away. I just meant that would be the only reason he should move. Sadly, I think Tom should die too.

But Jack has barely been on over the years. Well, Alan Young is 87. And Bernard does not come on as much. But people would wonder why Tom is not on anymore.

I wonder also what will happen when Alan Young does die, since Jack is barely on anymore.