Cell Phones at young ages?

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Cell Phones at young ages?

Post by EK »

I was wondering what you guys think about all these 12 year old kids that still rely on there parents to get them from point a to point b having cell phones, I personally think that its a abd decision on the part of the parents and a waste of money, my parents wouldnt let me get a cell until I had a job to pay the bill...but I notice so many jobless teens (around the 12-14 age range) gabbing/texting away on their cells...what do you peeps think?
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

My sister had a phone where minutes could be loaded onto the phone every so often. That way we could still reach her if she had a change of plans after school. However having a fully functional cell phone at that young age is utterly ridiculous.
Kat
slow thinking occurs
slow thinking occurs

Post by Kat »

I had a cell phone when I was 11. I had a balance and minutes cost 25 cents and texts cost 5 cents. I would really much rather have a plan though.
*returns*
Macnut
No way I broke the window
Location: At Whit's End, sipping a milkshake and talking with Connie

Post by Macnut »

I think that teens don't really need a phone till they start driving. I got one a little before cause that's when we renewed our phone plan and it was easier to add a phone on then. Anyway, I think that it's not really necessary before one is going places alone and parents want to be able to stay in contact with their kids. For younger kids maybe on of those phones where you can program five numbers into it and only call those numbers but not a real cell phone. There's my two cents...

--------------------------------------------
"I’m done and finished with low living, sight walking, small planning,
smooth knees, colorless dreams, tamed visions, mundane talking, cheap
living, and dwarfed goals...I am a disciple of Jesus."
Kat
slow thinking occurs
slow thinking occurs

Post by Kat »

But what about those kids, (like me) who had after school activities and did not know what time they were going to be over? For many people, the feel the need to give their children a cell phone because it is a number that they can recognize instead of a payphone.
*returns*
Macnut
No way I broke the window
Location: At Whit's End, sipping a milkshake and talking with Connie

Post by Macnut »

Danae Doyle wrote:But what about those kids, (like me) who had after school activities and did not know what time they were going to be over? For many people, the feel the need to give their children a cell phone because it is a number that they can recognize instead of a payphone.
That's why I said:
macnut24 wrote:For younger kids maybe on of those phones where you can program five numbers into it and only call those numbers but not a real cell phone

--------------------------------------------
"I’m done and finished with low living, sight walking, small planning,
smooth knees, colorless dreams, tamed visions, mundane talking, cheap
living, and dwarfed goals...I am a disciple of Jesus."
Trinarius
If posts were pigs...

Post by Trinarius »

I find the thought of youngsters having a cell phone quite ridiculous. :roll: I just laugh when I see a little kid with his backpack on, having a conversation on his cell phone - it really is too much. :lol: If I made it through school without a phone during my younger years, then I'm sure others will survive without one too. ;)
-Josh

Trinarius is back. Kind of.
Sarah
Someone's favorite

Post by Sarah »

I wrote a paper on this in school. Maybe I can dig it up...

I don't feel like finding it now, so I'll just say that I don't think fully functional cell phones are needed for kids under a certain age. My little brother (10) is starting to ask for one, because all of his friends have them. I don't think it's necessary for him to have one, because he doesn't go anywhere by himself, and when he does (which, again, very rarely) I'll just give him my cell phone to hang onto. Otherwise, he's always with an adult that has a cell phone, and therefore, doesn't need his own.

Sarah
Waluigi Freak 99
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Waluigi Freak 99 »

My parents always want me to have one if I go somewhere they won't be in case of emergencies, but they've made it clear that it's only for communication with them.
Everything written in this post is false.
Christian Cowgirl
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Christian Cowgirl »

Waluigi Freak 99 wrote:My parents always want me to have one if I go somewhere they won't be in case of emergencies, but they've made it clear that it's only for communication with them.
But that can easily be abused...
I never make mistakes. I thought I did once, but I was wrong.
Abigail
Crazy lil blondie
Crazy lil blondie

Post by Abigail »

My neice has a cell phone and she is 6. Her mother bought it for her, but her dad (my brother ) said to his ex-wife (her mother) that she had to take care of all the costs and everthing, he told her to take it back, she tried and they would not take it back
^She is back!! In all her glory!^ For real this time! ;)
Sarah
Someone's favorite

Post by Sarah »

Christian Cowgirl wrote:
Waluigi Freak 99 wrote:My parents always want me to have one if I go somewhere they won't be in case of emergencies, but they've made it clear that it's only for communication with them.
But that can easily be abused...
Yes, but it can also easily be tracked. Parents can easily see what numbers you have called, how many minutes you've used, etc... And therefore, they can take the cellphone off of you if you ARE abusing it.

I don't think my parents have anything to worry about - I'm pretty sure that the most minutes I use (per month) usually averages out to about 5 or 6. :- If you check the bill, you'll see that the outgoing/incoming calls are all to home and my mom's cell phone. Heh.

Sarah
Mandy Straussberg
Animatronic

Post by Mandy Straussberg »

My sister and I got a shared cell phone about the time I started going to youth group activities (8th grade or so). After that, I got my own a few months before I started driving. I think a cell phone should be given to a young teen only if it's needed. If the kid does a lot of activities where it would be helpful to have wireless contact with a parent, it makes sense. Otherwise, no. And I'd definitely limit who got the kid's number. Only me, my mom's best friend (best friend's mom), my parents, and my best friend got my number, which limited the amount of calls I made/got.

Mandy
Music is my life. God's given me gifts, and I like to use them.
Spirit now lead me, take me where You will
I long to adore You, reveal Yourself to me
My cry is to please You, so have Your way in me
Completely to bring glory to Your Name
Squirrel
I've been here a bit

Post by Squirrel »

Young kids with cell phones? :mad:
Where's my cell phone? Why don't I have a cell phone?

I am so out of the loop. ](*,)

Actually, even at my advanced age, since I don't drive much, I don't really need one.
Skid
Still standing tall

Post by Skid »

Since don't live in an urban area we use family radios rather than cellphones whenever one of us has to go somewhere alone. Good ones have a transmit range of 15 km, and cost nothing besides just buying the equipment.
Robo
A great mapmaker

Post by Robo »

Its so stupid to give a 12 year old (or under) a cell phone... inless the kid pays for it, lol.

-Robo
ajamj
Older Than Dirt
Older Than Dirt

Post by ajamj »

My son got his cell the summer between 8th grade and highschool. His having it made me feel more comfortable.

Everyone should have a happy dance.
gracie07
Not as new

Post by gracie07 »

I THINK ITS REALLY REDICULOUS TO GIVE YOUNG KIDS CELL PHONES ITS A WASTE OF $$$
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Your post was a waste of dollar signs. -_-; Somebody please edit. ^^
Manda
Someone's favorite

Post by Manda »

ajamj wrote:My son got his cell the summer between 8th grade and highschool. His having it made me feel more comfortable.
Yay for a mom's point of view! =D> It totally depends on the situation. If my child went to school I would like for my child to have a cell phone. But when kids are homeschooled - they probably don't really need one, since they're around all the time. ;-)