College

Which type will you choose?

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!

What type of college do you think you'll go to?

Private Christian College
47%
Private College, but not neccesarily Christian
11%
Public
32%
College? What do you mean college? I ain't goin' to no stupid college? (*hopes no one [seriously] picks this option*)
11%

Total votes: 47

Me
An original

Post by Me »

*animates a beaver eating a duck*
Jessicado
Love to love

Post by Jessicado »

Yeah, but it's not really animated....SO I STILL WIN!!!!!!!! :badgrin:

:-s
Me
An original

Post by Me »

Or I could get motivated and actually animate it. I could, but I'm lazy and probably won't. I'll just let the Beavs beat your team in the Civil War...
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

You guys probably won't believe it, but right now I am seriously concidering going to Bob Jones University. I know this is the university you guys were making fun of a couple of weeks ago. I can totally understand why you did, too.

I am definitely not as strict as they are, but I figure that I could live with their rules for a couple of years. It's not like they are going to rule my whole life. I have a couple of friends who are there right now, so it would be nice for me to have some people there that I know.

Just a thought.
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
Robotic Chuck Norris
Not as new

Post by Robotic Chuck Norris »

I passed with flying pigeons.
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

flying pidgeons? :anxious:
...I hate marquees.
Robotic Chuck Norris
Not as new

Post by Robotic Chuck Norris »

Actually, no! Robotic Chuck Norris has a built in dictionary installed in his Stomache-Area...

SHAZAMM!!!

pi·geon1 (pĭj'ən)
n.
Any of various birds of the widely distributed family Columbidae, characteristically having plump bodies, small heads, and short legs, especially the rock dove or any of its domesticated varieties.
Slang. One who is easily swindled; a dupe.
[Middle English, from Old French pijon, probably from Vulgar Latin *pībiō, pībiōn-, alteration of Late Latin pīpiō, young chirping bird, squab, from pīpīre, to chirp.]

pi·geon2 (pĭj'ən)
n.
An object of special concern; an affair or matter.

[Alteration of PIDGIN.]
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Evil Chick wrote:You guys probably won't believe it, but right now I am seriously concidering going to Bob Jones University. I know this is the university you guys were making fun of a couple of weeks ago. I can totally understand why you did, too.

I am definitely not as strict as they are, but I figure that I could live with their rules for a couple of years. It's not like they are going to rule my whole life. I have a couple of friends who are there right now, so it would be nice for me to have some people there that I know.

Just a thought.
=D> I applaud you for not making fun of Christians who think differently in some areas than you do. If you think their academics are good, you have friends there, the price is right, etc. I don't see why you can't live within their rule system while on campus for a set period of time. Sacrifices are a fact of life. It really bothers me when people make a point of flaunting rules that don't fit with their beliefs. I always want to ask why they signed up agreeing to it only to turn around and make fun of it. There's a lot of colleges out there that they could've chosen instead! ](*,)
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

Chandler wrote:
Evil Chick wrote:You guys probably won't believe it, but right now I am seriously concidering going to Bob Jones University. I know this is the university you guys were making fun of a couple of weeks ago. I can totally understand why you did, too.

Just a thought.
=D> I applaud you for not making fun of Christians who think differently in some areas than you do. If you think their academics are good, you have friends there, the price is right, etc. I don't see why you can't live within their rule system while on campus for a set period of time. Sacrifices are a fact of life. It really bothers me when people make a point of flaunting rules that don't fit with their beliefs. I always want to ask why they signed up agreeing to it only to turn around and make fun of it. There's a lot of colleges out there that they could've chosen instead! ](*,)
Hear, hear. =D> Quite commendable, EC.
Jessicado
Love to love

Post by Jessicado »

Me wrote:Or I could get motivated and actually animate it. I could, but I'm lazy and probably won't. I'll just let the Beavs beat your team in the Civil War...
We just let you win last year to lull you into a false sense of security. :noway:

WE ARE TOTALLY GOING TO WIN THIS YEAR!!!!!

On a side note, I was just in Corvallis this weekend and went to the baseball game they had...they did ok I GUESS :roll:
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

Dr. Watson wrote:
Chandler wrote: =D> I applaud you for not making fun of Christians who think differently in some areas than you do. If you think their academics are good, you have friends there, the price is right, etc. I don't see why you can't live within their rule system while on campus for a set period of time. Sacrifices are a fact of life. It really bothers me when people make a point of flaunting rules that don't fit with their beliefs. I always want to ask why they signed up agreeing to it only to turn around and make fun of it. There's a lot of colleges out there that they could've chosen instead! ](*,)
Thank you, guys! I am really not quite sure what to do yet, but I'm concidering Bob Jones. It's nice to know that there is some support for me here, though. :D
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
rosiebelle
Not as new

Post by rosiebelle »

gimp80995 wrote:
If I go to get my LPN, I could easily make $12-$15 / hr for doing LESS work just because I got the education to get the title.

If I keep going and get my RN, it would not be uncommon to make better than $20/ hr again for less work (but more responsiblity) than I currently do now.........so if I get my RN, I could work 35-40 hrs a week and "make a living" but still have time to figure out what this mysterious "social life" thingy is that people keep talking about.
That's lovely... but not only are there many good professions that don't require a degree, in some cases experience is actually more valuable. My brother is dealing with the issue of whether college was really worth it - he isn't doing something directly related to his major (hint: study something you love, not something you just like), and he's been frustrated with people getting jobs ahead of him that aren't as qualified as him, but have more experience..... besides, what would happen if EVERYONE went to college? Hmmm....
The only time I would be dead-set for my kids (when I have kids) going to Christian school rather than public would be highschool level and lower.........and that's assuming I don't homeschool them. Once you hit the college level, there isn't a lot of difference in Christian vs Public campuses (unless you plan on enrolling in a school like BJU).
This is a rather different perspective than I've heard - generally, I haven't heard that great of things about Christian highschools. I could certainly be wrong about that, but I definitely disagree with you about the difference between Christian and Public colleges. One can attend a "normal" Christian college (without all the extreme rules) and be much better for it. I doubt every Christian college is worth going to, but from what I've seen the fellowship and community and whatnot can be quite invaluable.
Iverkid
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Iverkid »

I am wanting to go to some public college. Preferably near family in Virginia. But I have no clue yet.

Iverkid
Pray for Sri Lanka.
Oba-rai
Blackgaard Prankster
Blackgaard Prankster

Post by Oba-rai »

Personally, I used to be sure about going to this one college in Toccoa Falls, GA, but due to a series of unfortunate events, I'm not sure if I'll go there. Since DavidO gave me a shameless plug for Liberty, I'm considering there, or a Bible College in Chicago.

*shrug* Someday I'll sit down and decide.
they may be copper,
annoying little coins! but,
they might be giants.
save your pandas: vote racecar!
EUCC
Someone's favorite

Post by EUCC »

Evil Chick wrote:
Dr. Watson wrote:
Chandler wrote: =D> I applaud you for not making fun of Christians who think differently in some areas than you do. If you think their academics are good, you have friends there, the price is right, etc. I don't see why you can't live within their rule system while on campus for a set period of time. Sacrifices are a fact of life. It really bothers me when people make a point of flaunting rules that don't fit with their beliefs. I always want to ask why they signed up agreeing to it only to turn around and make fun of it. There's a lot of colleges out there that they could've chosen instead! ](*,)
Thank you, guys! I am really not quite sure what to do yet, but I'm concidering Bob Jones. It's nice to know that there is some support for me here, though. :D
I went to PCC (Pensacola) and stayed the whole 4 years (including summers to work!) and graduated...and actually got zero demerits my last 2 years. my point? If you know what the rules are when you go, and you can live with them, then go for it. At least you know you wont be made fun of every day for not doing blatantly immoral things like you might get in the "real world"
Liberty was kinda made fun of or labeled as the U. students went to after being kicked out of PCC. Anyway, choose wisely.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

rosiebelle wrote: This is a rather different perspective than I've heard - generally, I haven't heard that great of things about Christian highschools. I could certainly be wrong about that, but I definitely disagree with you about the difference between Christian and Public colleges. One can attend a "normal" Christian college (without all the extreme rules) and be much better for it. I doubt every Christian college is worth going to, but from what I've seen the fellowship and community and whatnot can be quite invaluable.
I have to say that the value of Christian fellowship can be quite high, based on my experience of spending the past three years attending a Christian college while living in dorm. At first I was reluctant to live in dorm, but I had so much fun, and really value my time there and the friendships that were formed. I think that is something that may be harder to develop at a secular institution, and would recommend (good) Christian institutions for that reason, especially if they also had acceptable academic standards!
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Post by COWBOY OF TEXAS »

I still am unsure of where I will be attending next year when I graduate. It will most likely be a Christian college.

-Cowboy
Click on the image, you know you want to! \:D/
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
"Alas, not even I could perform such a feat."-Trinny
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

I signed up for classes at The Master's College last week! :D (I can't wait for the fall term!)
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

I'm currently in tech school... I'll be transferring to a private Christian college this fall, though! It'll be nice to be on my own a bit, but I'm worried about how I'll do with being sick lately...

I guess God will have to take care of me for my mom, right? ;-)
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

Frankie wrote:I signed up for classes at The Master's College last week! :D (I can't wait for the fall term!)
Ooh...Frankie crosses the line to the southern half...
And I am here in the lower half of the state because I went to Chapman University... private and (sort-of) Christian also...
darcy
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon