If you had to date one person in Odyssey who would it be????

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!

would you date

of course
28%
no way dating is for non christians
21%
only if i found someone i want to date!!!
51%

Total votes: 119

Joni_Slade
Pilgrim

Post by Joni_Slade »

Haha, yes, you are not crazy and I would totally date Richard Maxwell if he existed. (Slight annoyance that he doesn't.) I don't see anything working out between him and Lucy. I like both of their characters, but they're just too different. I don't see how Lucy could ever understand Richard's problems while her faith gives her such a quiet resilience. She always showed very little patience with people less, well, Good, than she was (like Curt, Isaac, or even Sam). And I think that Richard would have trouble seeing her as a real person when she is such a symbol to him of an innocence he's lost in his own life and a forgiveness he has trouble accepting. I do love their interactions on the show just because of this disconnect between them. (I know I am way over-analyzing things, but that's sort of what I do.)

But I'm all for you writing fan fiction about them!
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Latest fanfiction: Parting Words.
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

^^But that's what makes them perfect for each other! Because Lucy would have to become a little less prideful about people who struggle a little more than she does and Richard would have to accept his forgiveness. I think Richard would be delighted to have Lucy, though. He's obviously delighted and enamored by her innocence. And a little tension is good for a relationship.

haha, you only have slight annoyance over Richard not existing? You should have seen me banging my head against a wall the many, many times whenever I would realize that Regis wasn't real! ;-)
Joni_Slade
Pilgrim

Post by Joni_Slade »

^^Hmm. Yeah, I guess their relationship has a certain literary and thematic potential. I love it for what it is, two people who have a lot to learn from each other. But I don't think romance would be very realistic. Lucy changing enough to accept people's imperfections would mean shedding some of the very innocence that Richard admires about her. And I don't think Richard likes her as much as what she represents to him, so the whole relationship would be sort of convoluted and unhealthy. And I think Richard would have some real moral objections to a romantic relationship with her even once she's older simply because of their past. I don't think he's capable of accepting her forgiveness (at least not until he's had a whole lot more plot happen to him). And, honestly, I think Lucy has moved on, too.

Awww. It's taken me a long time to reach the slight annoyance phase. We should start like a support group or something, huh? :)
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Carolita
I'm not Gabe
Location: the small fraction of time between normal hectic life and mega hectic college

Post by Carolita »

*laughs at the absurdity of the question*

I'd probably date either, Jimmy, Jared (so I could throw flour on him, of course ;) ) or "Digger" Digwillow.
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Joni_Slade wrote:^^Hmm. Yeah, I guess their relationship has a certain literary and thematic potential. I love it for what it is, two people who have a lot to learn from each other. But I don't think romance would be very realistic. Lucy changing enough to accept people's imperfections would mean shedding some of the very innocence that Richard admires about her. And I don't think Richard likes her as much as what she represents to him, so the whole relationship would be sort of convoluted and unhealthy. And I think Richard would have some real moral objections to a romantic relationship with her even once she's older simply because of their past. I don't think he's capable of accepting her forgiveness (at least not until he's had a whole lot more plot happen to him). And, honestly, I think Lucy has moved on, too.

Awww. It's taken me a long time to reach the slight annoyance phase. We should start like a support group or something, huh? :)
Admirers of the Immaterialistic... Stalkers of the Unreal... Wives of Fictional Antagonists Anonymous...

I think it could work. For some reason, it almost seemed like that's what the writers WANTED us to think. (Although I must admit, I found Richard manipulating Lucy as a little girl more than a little creepy.) So I think it might work, but something drastic would have to happen.
Joni_Slade
Pilgrim

Post by Joni_Slade »

Rachael wrote:Wives of Fictional Antagonists Anonymous
*laughs madly* That's awesome. "Salkers of the Unreal" might be better since it's a little more general, though. I'm seriously enamored with a number of fictional characters.
Rachael wrote:I found Richard manipulating Lucy as a little girl more than a little creepy
It was seriously creepy. (The redeeming bit of it was that in the end Richard himself found it creepy, too.) Which is why I don't like the idea of anything coming of it. Something drastic happening could make it work; I'd just rather it didn't. I've never considered what the writers wanted us to think, though . . . hmm . . .
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

It reminded me way too much of what could have happened between Richard and Lucy, and that's what creeped me out. If the age difference hadn't been so drastic, it wouldn't have been so bad.

How about the LFAA? Lovers of Fictional Antagonists Anonymous?
Joni_Slade
Pilgrim

Post by Joni_Slade »

^^Yeah. Fortunately, Richard's character prevented anything that bad from happening. Well, that and the nature of AIO as a kid's show :)

I love LFAA! Perfect.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Rachael wrote:It reminded me way too much of what could have happened between Richard and Lucy, and that's what creeped me out. If the age difference hadn't been so drastic, it wouldn't have been so bad.
I hadn't ever gotten that far in my thinking until your story from the first AIO writing contest. That bothered me because it made me see things in a new light.
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

I don't even remember my entry from the first writing contest. Was that the one where Regis kidnaps Connie again? Or was it the one where Richard has a girlfriend and gets kidnapped? I think I just sat at my computer and wrote it into the 'message' window in my PM box one day. Will you PM it to me?
EvangelineWalker
I'm a teapot

Post by EvangelineWalker »

Jason
EUCC
Someone's favorite

Post by EUCC »

EvangelineWalker wrote:Jason
That was the first guy I thought of too. But I dont know about travelling all the time. I guess it's a little irrelevant.
the_newfie_haystack
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by the_newfie_haystack »

Wow, nobody's mentoined my fave guy yet. I would do Xavier Washington because he is so cool! \:D/ GO XAVIER!!!

Haystack
Joni_Slade
Pilgrim

Post by Joni_Slade »

Xavier is definitely cool. I'd like to hear more from him.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
the_newfie_haystack
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by the_newfie_haystack »

Are they planning to do any more episodes on Xavier? I hope so!

Haystack
"To be nobody but yourself in a world that's doing its best to make you somebody else is to fight the hardest battle you are ever going to fight. Never stop fighting." -- E. E. Cummings
AIOaddict1988
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by AIOaddict1988 »

Joni_Slade wrote: It was seriously creepy. (The redeeming bit of it was that in the end Richard himself found it creepy, too.) Which is why I don't like the idea of anything coming of it. Something drastic happening could make it work; I'd just rather it didn't. I've never considered what the writers wanted us to think, though . . . hmm . . .
What made it so disgusingly creepy to me was I always envisioned Lucy to be in her early teens, 14 or 15, and Richard always struck me as at least 25 or 30. I don't know what state you live in, and what state Oddysey is in, but that is some serious pedophilia right there, and I know that's pretty illeagle in the state I live in...
- Sean
Joni_Slade
Pilgrim

Post by Joni_Slade »

the_newfie_haystack wrote:Are they planning to do any more episodes on Xavier?
I don't know, but I hope so, too!
I always envisioned Lucy to be in her early teens, 14 or 15, and Richard always struck me as at least 25 or 30
Wow, really? I got a very different impression. I thought Lucy was, like, no older than 12. Blackgaard calls Richard a "teenaged thug", so I imagine he was 18 or 19. And like . . . he was hired to get information from Lucy. Paedophilia was not involved, regardless of their ages. But I agree it was creepy, and perhaps the creepiness is what makes me averse to the idea of them getting together even when they're older and the age difference doesn't matter so much. I prefer to believe that Richard considered Lucy first a means to an end, and later an admired example of innocence and forgiveness. Nothing much more.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

I believed Richard was 17 or 18 because,well,I don't know the rules of Ohio,that is where people say Odyssey is at,he goes to a detention center,not an actual like prison,but how am I supposed to know,I am 13!!!!!!I am only in Elementary school still,Well almost to high school after this year of school,but that doesn't matter!
Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

Jason, or Richard, probably...of course, they're too old, and I don't date, but if Odyssey actually existed, who knows what else could happen!
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

I'm going to join the popular group that thinks Lucy was 12 or younger and Richard was somewhere in his late teens. :-D She still went to Odyssey Middle School, and Richard went to a detention center... I don't see how they could be any older than that.

And a 15 going out with a 25-year-old isn't all THAT creepy to me... yeah, I mean, 17 or 18 would be much more preferable, but (in my fanfics) Regis was in his late forties when he met and married Rachael-- who was only 19 at the time.