Monica Stone Question

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
kellyj
Fourscore and seven

Monica Stone Question

Post by kellyj »

This weekend I was listening to Battle Lines and I was wondering why Monica Stone has a different last name then her brother Duncan Mathis.
I don't think she has ever been married so why the differnt last names?
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

They never say on the show. Maybe they're just half siblings. Monica is probably older than Duncan so maybe her mom remarried. :-k

Monica never hinted to Jason that she'd been married but she was also playing a part to lure him into revealing where the disk from Eugene was so she could've been covering it up. She did hint to Jason that what she said wasn't so fake so maybe it was true and she'd never "settled down" before. :-s
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I have pondered over this question, and I think I had some theory about Monica's former life at some point that involved her being married to EB or somebody. ;) However, I think that her and Duncan being half-siblings is more likely, though it would be possible that part of the reason she became the person that she is was the result of an abusive husband or the tragic loss of a husband that she cared a lot for, and then closed herself to open relationships with others, except for hanging onto her brother. I would be interested in knowing what the intention of the writers was in giving them different last names. Who know? Maybe one day an episode will reveal more, though I'm not going to count on it.
snowflake
Found

Post by snowflake »

another question about Monica. Is she the same voice as Aubrey Shepherd? I was just thinking about that the other day when she said (and it's weird I was thinking about it cause I haven't heard this Odyssey in a while) to Walter "oh, yes, the were strawberries" (or was it blueberries...I know that he tricked her to find out if she was a fake or not but....which was the correct fruit?) she kind of had a ring in her voice that sounded liek Aubrey's....anyone think that?

Thanks Lucy Pevensie for my awsome avatar and signature!!!

Yes, I know it's no longer Christmas but right after I change it it will be again so just get over it...
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

kellyj wrote:This weekend I was listening to Battle Lines and I was wondering why Monica Stone has a different last name then her brother Duncan Mathis.
Hm.. I've never thought about that before. :-s
...I hate marquees.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

pinkjeans92 wrote:another question about Monica. Is she the same voice as Aubrey Shepherd? I was just thinking about that the other day when she said (and it's weird I was thinking about it cause I haven't heard this Odyssey in a while) to Walter "oh, yes, the were strawberries" (or was it blueberries...I know that he tricked her to find out if she was a fake or not but....which was the correct fruit?) she kind of had a ring in her voice that sounded liek Aubrey's....anyone think that?
It's definitely a different actress - I think two people have done Aubrey's voice, but neither of them were the same actress as Monica Stone. There was Danielle Judovits (sp?) and somebody else who played Aubrey.
Aslan
Smile for the camera

Post by Aslan »

kellyj wrote:This weekend I was listening to Battle Lines and I was wondering why Monica Stone has a different last name then her brother Duncan Mathis.
You know i was just thinking that since i just got battle lines yesterday
and i heard that part.

Life is worth living, so live the best life that you can
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Post by COWBOY OF TEXAS »

Catspaw wrote:
pinkjeans92 wrote:another question about Monica. Is she the same voice as Aubrey Shepherd? I was just thinking about that the other day when she said (and it's weird I was thinking about it cause I haven't heard this Odyssey in a while) to Walter "oh, yes, the were strawberries" (or was it blueberries...I know that he tricked her to find out if she was a fake or not but....which was the correct fruit?) she kind of had a ring in her voice that sounded liek Aubrey's....anyone think that?
It's definitely a different actress - I think two people have done Aubrey's voice, but neither of them were the same actress as Monica Stone. There was Danielle Judovits (sp?) and somebody else who played Aubrey.
Monica Stone is played by Monica Disney. Yes, that Disney.

-Cowboy
Click on the image, you know you want to! \:D/
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
"Alas, not even I could perform such a feat."-Trinny
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

COWBOY OF TEXAS wrote:
Catspaw wrote:
I thought that it was Melissa Disney. :anxious:
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

COWBOY OF TEXAS wrote:
Catspaw wrote:

-Cowboy
Nice try, but not quite an accurate representation of what Jimmy Barclay said. :)

Like Catspaw said, her first name is Melissa.
the_newfie_haystack
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by the_newfie_haystack »

Yeah, I've never noticed that. Weird. :-k This is going to require some thinking.

Haystack
EugeneFan
OK

Post by EugeneFan »

I searched through the Novacom interviews at The Soda Fountain and found this:

Question. If Monica Stone is Duncan Mathis' sister, why is her last name Stone?

Answer. Monica Stone might be well be using an alias. Or she's the daughter from another marriage... or she might be divorced. I'm guessing we'll eventually get info about her last name just maybe not by the time the arc is over.

Nathan Hoobler's Answer. Both are good possibilities. We know Monica used multiple names and it sounded like their family wasn't in the best shape.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Ooo, you're a smart one! \:D/ I forgot that the question had been asked and answered way back when! :-
Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

Actually, I know what you mean. I never thought that they were the same actress, but I remember detecting that lilt to her voice, and that little laugh...yeah.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless