it was brought to my attention...

Something I have, that we need to talk about

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

Hey, Andrea! Like some have remarked, this does not change my view of you at all. One of my brothers was born with a cleft lip and palate, so I'm used to being around him. As for that friend of yours, that is his problem. You are skillfully wrought by God.
WINDSHEAR
Name Eater

Post by WINDSHEAR »

you're still a human being, you are still one of God's children, we're all different in some way, some more than others, but we are all His children. The outside isn't what matters, it's what's on the inside. :) Having a defect would in no way make me consider you as less, or less of a friend.
Aelwyn
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Aelwyn »

Itaque wrote:Hey, Andrea! Like some have remarked, this does not change my view of you at all. One of my brothers was born with a cleft lip and palate, so I'm used to being around him. As for that friend of yours, that is his problem. You are skillfully wrought by God.
That reminds me of that verse in Psalms, "I will praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made."
I'm afraid I forget the exact reference, though.
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

That would be Psalm 139:14. :)
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Aelwyn
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Aelwyn »

Jennifer Doyle wrote:That would be Psalm 139:14. :)

Thanks Jennifer Doyle. :)
totustuus
Pilgrim

Post by totustuus »

That's actually kind of awesome!
Andrea Meltsner
I've been working out

Post by Andrea Meltsner »

totustuus wrote:That's actually kind of awesome!
what that I was born with a gaping hole in my mouth? ;) I know what you meant. :)

oh and Thanks Jen. :)
Doctor Who is Awesome

I couldn't stay away

Nerdfighter for Life!
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

I can't believe people would really be like that, Andrea... :-( You have my empathy and understanding, even if I haven't experience what you have on such a large scale.

I have a big birthmark on my scalp where I scraped my head against my mom's hip bone in utero. It's red and bumpy and hair won't grow on it. I usually keep it covered by parting my hair so you can't see it, but sometimes people see it and freak out or think I have something contagious.

Since I know what cleft lip and cleft palate are, I can't imagine ever feeling weird around someone because of it. Maybe at first, until I found out how much it bothered them, but after that I don't think it's something I would think of much.
NatetheGreat
Got Pancakes?

Post by NatetheGreat »

forever_faithful wrote:You know what? That doesn't change my view of you at all. Sure, people are different. But that's the best part of being Christians all in God's family. You accept them for who they are.

:hug: We love you, Andrea!
Ditto
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

totustuus wrote:That's actually kind of awesome!
Lol that's actually kind of funny. :-s :anxious:
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
ajamj
Older Than Dirt
Older Than Dirt

Post by ajamj »

There are some people who freak out over anything that is different or unknown to them. :noway:
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

I've been putting off posting in this thread, simply b/c I can relate. Which in turn is also a good reason to post here (it's a paradox ;) )

While I wasn't born with a cleft lip, I was born with a, lets say, unique voice. I had to deal with a lot of kids in my early school years that decided that I wasn't worth anything b/c of that (which I never let bother me that much; I once even convinced a kid that I didn't talk funny, but that he listend funny ;) ).

Point is, I can say from experience that if people are ready to dismiss you b/c of something so trivial, that has no bearing on who you are as a person and what not, that's their problem. Not always an easy thing to convince yourself of, I know, but it's true nonetheless.

And I'm sure it will come as no surprise, but this doesn't change my opinion of you at all :)
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

Jonathan wrote:While I wasn't born with a cleft lip, I was born with a, lets say, unique voice. I had to deal with a lot of kids in my early school years that decided that I wasn't worth anything b/c of that (which I never let bother me that much; I once even convinced a kid that I didn't talk funny, but that he listend funny ;) ).
Jonathan, Trent and I both agree that you have the awesomest voice ever! \:D/

And for AM: My little cousin that my sister went to adopt has a severe double cleft palate and lip. I know how you feel, AM darling, it's so unsettling for most people...but my little cousin has demonstrated a character and personality so sweet that I don't even notice her lip. The same goes for you, AM...though I've never seen you, your personality shines so bright I hereby declare you "normal". (Or, as normal as ToOers can get. :wink:) :hug:
Andrea Meltsner
I've been working out

Frank wrote:
Jonathan wrote:While I wasn't born with a cleft lip, I was born with a, lets say, unique voice. I had to deal with a lot of kids in my early school years that decided that I wasn't worth anything b/c of that (which I never let bother me that much; I once even convinced a kid that I didn't talk funny, but that he listend funny ;) ).

And for AM: My little cousin that my sister went to adopt has a severe double cleft palate and lip. I know how you feel, AM darling, it's so unsettling for most people...but my little cousin has demonstrated a character and personality so sweet that I don't even notice her lip. The same goes for you, AM...though I've never seen you, your personality shines so bright I hereby declare you "normal". (Or, as normal as ToOers can get. :wink:) :hug:
Jonathan I am sure you have a great voice!
Aww Frank, that is so sweet that your sister adopted her daughter. :) I am sure she is a great little kid. Thanks Frank. :hug:
Doctor Who is Awesome

I couldn't stay away

Nerdfighter for Life!
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman

Post by Frank »

Andrea Meltsner wrote:
Frank wrote:

Aww Frank, that is so sweet that your sister adopted her daughter. :) I am sure she is a great little kid. Thanks Frank. :hug:
She is such a cute little kid...and just so ya know...my sister went to help my aunt adopt Lulu...and so I have a cousin. (not a niece.) My darling sister's only 15.

I love you AM! :inlove:
dancer02248
I've been working out

Post by dancer02248 »

I hate when pople judge others for things that they had absolutley no controll over...but on a very small scale, I know how selfconscious little things can make me feel, and I am very sorry that you have been teased for this.

We all love you! :hug: :grouphug:
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman

Post by Frank »

I want in on the group hug! :grouphug:
Andrea Meltsner
I've been working out

Frank wrote:
Andrea Meltsner wrote:
Frank wrote:

She is such a cute little kid...and just so ya know...my sister went to help my aunt adopt Lulu...and so I have a cousin. (not a niece.) My darling sister's only 15.

I love you AM! :inlove:
oh, I said what! lol sorry, your cousin... :)

*feels much loved* :hug: *AM feels loving feelings twards everyone. :inlove: :grouphug:
Doctor Who is Awesome

I couldn't stay away

Nerdfighter for Life!
NatetheGreat
Got Pancakes?

Post by NatetheGreat »

I just remembered, my cousen's son has a clef lip (or how ever you spell it).
Kat
slow thinking occurs
slow thinking occurs

Post by Kat »

I don't have a disability persay, but I have had 4 surgerys on my ears, and yet I still have hearing loss and a tube in 1 ear
*returns*