Chronicles of Narnia

Discuss the books or the movie here!

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
Zeba
Still standing tall

Post by Zeba »

AIOFan11 wrote: Have you heard "In Like a Lion" by Relient K? Its really good! \:D/
I love that song! Oh, and the soundtrack is really good, too.
snowflake
Found

Post by snowflake »

I almost said...we waited forever into the credits and I didn't see the scene! Then I remembered, wait, yes I did! I'm glad they had it...

Thanks Lucy Pevensie for my awsome avatar and signature!!!

Yes, I know it's no longer Christmas but right after I change it it will be again so just get over it...
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

I finally saw TLTWATW, and I was a little disappointed. Don't get me wrong; the visual effects were great, and I loved the music. I actually even liked some of the stuff that wasn't in the book that my mom complained about, like the Air Raid.

What I didn't like was some of the tiny little changes they made-- changes the story could have benefitted from them NOT making.

1. Edmund running inside to get the picture of their Dad. Edmund wouldn't have risked his life for a picture at the beginning of TLTWATW. He was selfish and bratty-- not because he was a scared, confused little boy in London durring WWII, but because he had been hanging out with the wrong crowd at the wrong school.

2. How they got chased by Mrs. Macready. The children did not break a window and a suit of armor playing baseball. They also did not run away from Mrs. Macready to avoid getting in trouble for breaking said window and suit of armor. They were just playing quietly in one of the rooms when Mrs. Macready started bringing a tour through the house.

3. Following Aslan. Aslan DID NOT tell Susan and Lucy they could not watch, or that they had to go back to the camp. He simply told them not to let themselves be seen under any circumstances. They had him tell them to turn around and go back in the movie, which means that Susan and Lucy had to disobey him to make a crucial scene from the book happen.

4. How Edmund defeated the White Witch. In the book, Peter and Edmund were fighting side by side as brothers and soldiers. Peter never gave Edmund orders to find the girls and get them back home. And even if he had, Edmund was good at that point; he wouldn't have disobeyed Peter. I felt it really detracted from the climactic moment of Edmund breaking the White Witch's wand.

It's as if some of the Hollywood values (i.e., the end justifies the means) got absorbed into the movie. Not as much, thankfully, as some of the other Hollywood kid-trash films they've put out (Like Catch That Kid), but it was still disappointing.

Anyone else notice this?
Lucy Pevensie
sn33ky hobbitses
sn33ky hobbitses

Post by Lucy Pevensie »

Well, that just spoiled some of the movie for me(I haven't seen it yet), but thanks for pointing those out. Yes, that's very disappointing... considering how much I love those books... Oh well. #-o
Need a nice signature/avatar set? Take a look at my shop! :)
All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out. John 6:37
Lucy is my twin Laura Ingalls = l33t ~*Robin Baggins/Respectahobbit*~
Aravis
OK

Post by Aravis »

Douglas Gresham (C.S. Lewis's stepson) is already working on Prince Caspian? It's supposed to be in theatres in 2007! :D
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Carrots wrote:Douglas Gresham (C.S. Lewis's stepson) is already working on Prince Caspian? It's supposed to be in theatres in 2007! :D
I read the same thing!! \:D/ I can't wait!! \:D/ I hope it is as good as LWW. =D>
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Rachael wrote:What I didn't like was some of the tiny little changes they made-- changes the story could have benefitted from them NOT making.
Everyone has their own opinion, so I won't disregard your remarks. I would, however, like to offer my personal thoughts in response to your comments. :)
Rachael wrote:1. Edmund running inside to get the picture of their Dad. Edmund wouldn't have risked his life for a picture at the beginning of TLTWATW. He was selfish and bratty-- not because he was a scared, confused little boy in London durring WWII, but because he had been hanging out with the wrong crowd at the wrong school.
I think the point was less about risking his life. Aside from the fact it would draw a parallel between him and Tumnus (who said he wasn't very much like his father), it also provided further depth to Edmund's character. Edmund was selfish and bratty because he was scared--scared that he would lose his father, scared that the war would never end, scared that he and his family would die. His actions were a means through which he could release all the frustration and fear within himself. Perhaps Edmund desired the picture of his father so that he would be reminded of his father and the courage that his dad possessed.
Rachael wrote:2. How they got chased by Mrs. Macready. The children did not break a window and a suit of armor playing baseball. They also did not run away from Mrs. Macready to avoid getting in trouble for breaking said window and suit of armor. They were just playing quietly in one of the rooms when Mrs. Macready started bringing a tour through the house.
Can you say boring? ;) Books that are translated into film will never be word for word. Traditionalists may argue against this alteration, but this provided a more climatic enter into Narnia.
Rachael wrote:3. Following Aslan. Aslan DID NOT tell Susan and Lucy they could not watch, or that they had to go back to the camp. He simply told them not to let themselves be seen under any circumstances. They had him tell them to turn around and go back in the movie, which means that Susan and Lucy had to disobey him to make a crucial scene from the book happen.
I never thought of it that way. I really didn't make much out of that deviation. :-k
Rachael wrote:4. How Edmund defeated the White Witch. In the book, Peter and Edmund were fighting side by side as brothers and soldiers. Peter never gave Edmund orders to find the girls and get them back home. And even if he had, Edmund was good at that point; he wouldn't have disobeyed Peter. I felt it really detracted from the climactic moment of Edmund breaking the White Witch's wand.
You just can't accept the "disobedience deviations," can you? ;) On the contary, I think Edmund desmonstrated utter selflessness (and ultimately a change of character) through his so-called "disobedience." Peter was directing Edmund out of the interest of his younger siblings. Edmund ignored his brother's promptings out of love for his brother. \:D/
Rachael wrote:It's as if some of the Hollywood values (i.e., the end justifies the means) got absorbed into the movie. Not as much, thankfully, as some of the other Hollywood kid-trash films they've put out (Like Catch That Kid), but it was still disappointing.
Just out of curiosity, what were your expectations going into the theatre? Could you expound upon what you considered as "Hollywood values?" Are you just referring to the acts of "disobedience"?
Rachael wrote:Anyone else notice this?
No, actually. :)
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Post by STRYPER »

In Trent style, I'll respond in kind :)
Rachael wrote:What I didn't like was some of the tiny little changes they made-- changes the story could have benefitted from them NOT making.
I for one applauded several of the small changes they made that actually moved the film on better... though these would be different than the specific small changes you were referring to. But I don't think they agitated me as much as you...
Rachael wrote:1. Edmund running inside to get the picture of their Dad. Edmund wouldn't have risked his life for a picture at the beginning of TLTWATW. He was selfish and bratty-- not because he was a scared, confused little boy in London durring WWII, but because he had been hanging out with the wrong crowd at the wrong school.
I agree with Trent in that this actually added to Edmund's character. This provided some background information as to why Edmund was the odd child in the family. I don't remember anything about Edmund getting mixed up in school :-k
Rachael wrote:2. How they got chased by Mrs. Macready. The children did not break a window and a suit of armor playing baseball. They also did not run away from Mrs. Macready to avoid getting in trouble for breaking said window and suit of armor. They were just playing quietly in one of the rooms when Mrs. Macready started bringing a tour through the house.
You're right of course but I don't think it annoyed me quite as much as you. The book seemed to paint the picture that Mrs. Macready was impatient with the children her chasing them because of a broken window doesn't really affect the character C.S. Lewis wrote her as.
Rachael wrote:3. Following Aslan. Aslan DID NOT tell Susan and Lucy they could not watch, or that they had to go back to the camp. He simply told them not to let themselves be seen under any circumstances. They had him tell them to turn around and go back in the movie, which means that Susan and Lucy had to disobey him to make a crucial scene from the book happen.
I had never thought of that before and you're right. It is vastly different. I'm as enraged as you are about this one ;)
Rachael wrote:4. How Edmund defeated the White Witch. In the book, Peter and Edmund were fighting side by side as brothers and soldiers. Peter never gave Edmund orders to find the girls and get them back home. And even if he had, Edmund was good at that point; he wouldn't have disobeyed Peter. I felt it really detracted from the climactic moment of Edmund breaking the White Witch's wand.
This was my MAJOR issue walking out of the theater (I think I realized it the third time ;)) I agree, it really does take out of the dramatics when you realize Edmund had to disobey (thus not really learning anything) to be the hero. Once Edmund has the long talk with Aslan at the camp he is supposed to have changed all of that...
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again
Carrie Ingalls
An original

Post by Carrie Ingalls »

STRYPER wrote:
I agree with Trent in that this actually added to Edmund's character. This provided some background information as to why Edmund was the odd child in the family. I don't remember anything about Edmund getting mixed up in school :-k
LWW Chapter 5 wrote:"You didn't think anything at all," said Peter; "it's just spite. You've always liked being beastly to anyone smaller than yourself; we've seen that at school before now."
In the darkness, my thugs silently protect the girls from sketchy Bostonians
Thirteen is a prime number. I hate prime numbers. ~Trent DeWhite
OrigamiKid= Is seen working with square pieces of imported paper. ~Sarai
STRYPER

Post by STRYPER »

ditto
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Carrie Ingalls
An original

Post by Carrie Ingalls »

Could you elaborate a little? ;)

~OrigamiKid
In the darkness, my thugs silently protect the girls from sketchy Bostonians
Thirteen is a prime number. I hate prime numbers. ~Trent DeWhite
OrigamiKid= Is seen working with square pieces of imported paper. ~Sarai
snowflake
Found

Post by snowflake »

some of the little things DID really take away from the film but some of them did add. it's as my sister says, movies will NEVER be the same as books. they feel as if they have to make it more adventurous or something. the only thing that i realized as a very, very different thing that had real meaning was the fact that they 'went after' Edmund. THEY NEVER DID THAT!!! the beaver told them they couldn't! anyways, and the wolves were never that close to them. the whole, crossing the ice and the waterfall the the wolves and stuff was all 'made up' in a sense. other than that i thought it was good. it was strange the way they made the trees move...quite strange. and also, they didn't 'send word' to the boys saying Aslan was dead, did they? but, considering all the books that have been ruined in movies i think they did a pretty good job! (the witch had no red mouth either...and it turns red after she eats the apple so that is important........but that's the Magicians Nephew.) i enjoyed the movie even in all the different things and i'm not going to be so picky about it because they did desplay the story pretty well.

Yes, I know it's no longer Christmas but right after I change it it will be again so just get over it...
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

pinkjeans92 wrote:some of the little things DID really take away from the film but some of them did add. it's as my sister says, movies will NEVER be the same as books.
Very true. And because of this, I don't see many movies that have been derived from books I've read; however, I liked this one.

And to those who weren't satisfied, keep in mind that Douglas Grisham, CS Lewis' stepson, was very heavily involved in the film, and any changes from the book were ok'ed by him.
snowflake
Found

Post by snowflake »

Jonathan wrote:And to those who weren't satisfied, keep in mind that Douglas Grisham, CS Lewis' stepson, was very heavily involved in the film, and any changes from the book were ok'ed by him.
I don't think he would allow anything that changed the spiritual message or anything too drastic...I know I wouldn't if I was working on a movie written by one of my parents or even aunts or uncles!

Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

I guess I didn't clarify this very well, but I was actually quite alright with most of the changes they made. Even Susan being whiny and Mrs. Beaver not getting her new sewing machine from Father Christmas and The White Witch living right next door to the Beavers was tolerable.

And I understand that changes have to be made when translating a movie from a book, but I'm talking about things that wouldn't have made any difference (I slight rephrasing of the character's words, etc.).
Aelwyn
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Aelwyn »

Has anyone listened to the Focus Family Radio Theatre Chronicles of Narnia audiobooks? They are really cool! I've listened to a different audiobook of The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe, but I was dissappointed. It didn't really have any good sound effects. When Aslan roared, you could tell it was just a person roaring. In the Radio Theatre productions, they use all kinds of sound effects!
STRYPER

Post by STRYPER »

I have every single on of Radio Theater's version of Narnia and I agree that they were very well done :D

I listen to them constantly :D
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Karin wrote:Has anyone listened to the Focus Family Radio Theatre Chronicles of Narnia audiobooks? They are really cool! I've listened to a different audiobook of The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe, but I was dissappointed. It didn't really have any good sound effects. When Aslan roared, you could tell it was just a person roaring. In the Radio Theatre productions, they use all kinds of sound effects!
I have listened to the first two. I love them, especially LWW.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I have all seven RT CoN productions, and I really enjoy them as well! \:D/ They actually helped make "The Horse and His Boy" a favourite of mine. I liked the book, but I loved the RT version!
STRYPER

Post by STRYPER »

Catspaw wrote:I have all seven RT CoN productions, and I really enjoy them as well! \:D/ They actually helped make "The Horse and His Boy" a favourite of mine. I liked the book, but I loved the RT version!
Ditto, except I used to hate the book :( I used to think it was by far the worst one he wrote. But thanks to Focus... (wow I should do a commercial pitch \:D/ )
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became