What books are you reading?

In the same vein as movie/music threads...

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

I keep rereading the Scott Pilgrim graphic novels. Bryan Lee O'Malley is a total genius when it comes to character development and humour. I'd totally recommend the series to anyone above the age of 15 or 16 who can handle some adult situations, language, and gay jokes in their reading material.

Oh and also, they should probably like old video games and indie rock music.
he/him | a little stinker.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

This morning I finished An Untamed Heart by Lauraine Snelling, it was wonderful as all of her books are. I've just started The Bridesmaid by Beverly Lewis.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
shnoodlec
Tallying up

Post by shnoodlec »

Astronomer wrote:I just finished The Vile Village by Lemony Snicket, book 7 of A Series of Unfortunate Events.
I love that series!
High wellborn Lady shnoodlec Knight of the Order of Augustine, formally known as Queen of the Monkeys. now enjoying an era of peace between the Monkeys and Vampires. permanent n00b. Q&A thread HERE. come find me on the ToO chat if you dare.
Astronomer
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Astronomer »

I am currently reading Flight of the Angels by Allan and Aaron Reini. A fascinating, Christian sci-fi (though, not in any of the ways you'd think).
I also just finished The Carnivorous Carnival by Lemony Snicket and I am just about ready to start Matched by Allie Condie.
My blog: http://www.jessericebooks.blogspot.com Where I talk about stuff and the book(s) I've published.
IrishTiger
IrishTiger
IrishTiger

Post by IrishTiger »

Astronomer wrote: I am just about ready to start Matched by Allie Condie.
I. Love. That. Series.
Let me know how you like it. :)

I'm reading through "Pilgrim's Progress" for my Sunday School class.
~IrishTiger

2 Corinthians 12:10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. ~Robert Frost
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~Philo of Alexandria
Joshua 1:9
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished The Bridesmaid by Beverly Lewis over the weekend. It was excellent. I am now reading A Most Sensible Arrangement by Tracie Peterson. It is the first book in her Lone Star Brides trilogy. Very good so far.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

We're reading Cormac McCarthy's The Road in AP English, and it is the most bleak, depressing book I've ever read. (Not that such a description narrows the category of "Books Read in AP English".)
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Astronomer
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Astronomer »

I just finished Flight of the Angels by Allen and Aaron Reini. It a great book. Highly recommend it to those who like science fiction.
Now on to Matched by Allie Condie.
My blog: http://www.jessericebooks.blogspot.com Where I talk about stuff and the book(s) I've published.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I just finished rereading "Ekaterina" by Susan May Warren. I have owned the book for years but just got it free on Kindle so I read my Kindle copy, just for fun. \:D/ I really enjoyed reading it, since it had been awhile, and I still managed to notice that they took out a few sentences in the epilogue at the end! Maybe it's supposed to leave a little more mystery in the rest of the series? But a small piece was definitely removed!

Up next for me is "The Dancing Master" by Julie Klassen. I always really enjoy her books, so I expect this to be no exception! I meant to read it a while ago and never actually did. :anxious: Now is the time!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Catspaw wrote:I just finished rereading "Ekaterina" by Susan May Warren. I have owned the book for years but just got it free on Kindle so I read my Kindle copy, just for fun. \:D/ I really enjoyed reading it, since it had been awhile, and I still managed to notice that they took out a few sentences in the epilogue at the end! Maybe it's supposed to leave a little more mystery in the rest of the series? But a small piece was definitely removed!

Up next for me is "The Dancing Master" by Julie Klassen. I always really enjoy her books, so I expect this to be no exception! I meant to read it a while ago and never actually did. :anxious: Now is the time!
Catspaw, I loved The Dancing Master and I think you will as well!! Julie Klassen has a new book coming out in December. Yesterday I finished A Sensible Arrangement by Tracie Peterson. It is the first book in her Lone Star Brides trilogy, I enjoyed it. I am now reading Katie's Journey to Love by Jerry S. Eicher. This is the second book in his Emma Raber's Daughter trilogy. I loved the first one even though one of the characters is an absolute obnoxious brat. This one is just as good as the first one even with the obnoxious character though I wish she was nicer.
Last edited by Laurie on Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

Bonhoeffer.

*pants* It's long. I like it, but it's long!
Wakko
Pilgrim

Post by Wakko »

I Just got my first Calvin & Hobbes book yesterday, so I just finished that. \:D/
lImage
Wakko's some old creepy guy from the 1900's. - Paula
Bmuntz
Former Mayor

Post by Bmuntz »

Reading Blink by Malcolm Gladwell right now. Liked his other books.
I like this snubs fellow.
General nuisance extraordinaire.
Astronomer
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Astronomer »

Just finished Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy by Eric Metaxas. A good biography, though it could have been edited down a bit.
Now I'm working on the audiobook version of The Aeneid and will soon start Crossed by Ally Condie.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Astronomer wrote:Just finished Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy by Eric Metaxas. A good biography, though it could have been edited down a bit.
I own that book! \:D/ Please note that I did not say that I have read it. ;) I heard that it was really good and I saw it on sale, so I bought it, but it's so long that I haven't ever started to read it. :anxious: Right now my excuse is that my dad is reading it. O:) I rarely read biographies because I prefer fiction over non-fiction, so even when I know it should be good, it's hard to get motivated to start.

Right now I'm reading "Swept Away" by Mary Connealy. It's a light read, but fun so far. I'm also reading "Hold On to Your Kids: Why Parents Need to Matter More Than Peers" by Gordon Neufeld and Gabor Mate. Non-fiction! I know, right? It is really interesting, and so far I would definitely recommend it to anybody who spends a lot of time with kids. Lots of valuable stuff about the importance of attachment and issues related to immaturity in older children and other stuff that makes for very interesting reading!
Astronomer
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Astronomer »

Catspaw wrote:
Astronomer wrote:Just finished Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy by Eric Metaxas. A good biography, though it could have been edited down a bit.
I own that book! \:D/ Please note that I did not say that I have read it. ;) I heard that it was really good and I saw it on sale, so I bought it, but it's so long that I haven't ever started to read it. :anxious: Right now my excuse is that my dad is reading it. O:) I rarely read biographies because I prefer fiction over non-fiction, so even when I know it should be good, it's hard to get motivated to start.
Don't feel bad. A friend lent it to me and it took me three years to pick it up, then about a month to finish it.
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

I just finished reading Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson. It basically a love story between Peter Pan and Tiger Lily. It was a little strange, but overall, very fascinating. I think the author understood the classic characters well. I recommend it to anyone who loves Peter Pan.
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
Graces4you
Love to love
Location: Somewhere in a Beautiful Valley That everyone ought a see.

Post by Graces4you »

I just finished Fly a Little Higher By Laura Sobiech. It's a beautiful story about how a mother dealt with her son having terminal cancer

Visit Sundays Emporium for all your gift giving needs!!! \:D/
Joy
Lucid and deductive

Post by Joy »

So I just recently finished The Fault In Our Stars. It was significantly underwhelming. I honestly do not know where all this hype comes from.
I felt emotionally detached from Hazel and Augustus. Their romance happened in seconds. Augustus is like "Do you want to come over to my house? I mean I just met you, but why not?" And Hazel is like "Sure dude. You could me a murderer, a creeper, or a stalker, but I don't care." Realistic much?
And the sad part that everybody cries over was completely meh and unemotional. I didn't feel a shred of sadness.

I am currently reading Code, the third book in the Virals series, and so far, it's pretty good!
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

I liked The Fault in Our Stars, but I get where you're coming from, Joy. I want to see the movie

I'm reading a few things at the moment: Shadow Spinner, The Lost Books series by Ted Dekker and the Divergent Series by Veronica Roth

-Also, I am home from my counseling/lifeguarding job. It didn't work out because I didn't think I was up to the challenge. It's rather bittersweet but that's okay

Till the end of the line.