Opposing a Like Button

An Open Letter

Come here to voice your comments, concerns, and questions with the mayor and their aides!
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

What? :-s The likes are meant to be like an "I agree" type thing. That's the point of them. >_> I'm not too sure what you're trying to drive home here, or are you just a rebel with a random cause?
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

EK wrote:What? :-s The likes are meant to be like an "I agree" type thing. That's the point of them.
Exactly. So I'm saying, if we use them simply as an "I agree" alternative, than that's ok.

But that's not going to be the case.

There will be those people who just go around liking random posts, or maybe even liking/disliking just a certain person's posts, in order to make their karma go up/down (if we do include a karma system).

The nice thing about the "I agree" posts, is that they are easy to delete if they get out of hand.

But the like button would make it much more difficult to determine who is running around "spam liking," and therefor, much harder to control.

Am I making any sense?
Last edited by ~JCGJ~ on Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

I personally don't see any harm in "spam liking". It doesn't hurt anyone.
"Any aspect of your faith which you do not question, is the one which should be questioned most."
"I totally approve of toddlers getting married." -Continental Admiral (aka Baragon)
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

I'm not sure "spam liking" would be of any detriment though. Of course intentional karma spikes/drops can be controlled by a use limit/complaint system for karma.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Yeah I don't see what it matters if a post as 1 like or... ONE BILLION likes. It's just a little number by the thumbs up thing.
~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

But if we allow spam liking, would you have a good argument to refute "spam posting," should a sudden outbreak of that occur?

The spammer could simply say, "If we're allowed to "spam like," than we should be allowed to "spam post" as well."

(Note: I am not threatening to start a "spam epidemic." I am simply pointing out different reason I dispise the idea of a like button.)
They/Them
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

No because, to be succinct, they're not the same.
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Spam liking really wouldn't be noticed nearly as much as spam posting is, though. All it would be is a number beside a post. No harm done. 0_o
...I hate marquees.
~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

EK wrote:No because, to be succinct, they're not the same.
But would that hold up in a court of law?

They are essentially the same action (ie. doing it just for the heck of it), so if we allow one, why shouldn't we allow the other?
They/Them
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Because one doesn't take up space and one does?
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Because...they're not the same action? There's a major difference between a post in a like, should I make a long post explaining why? I will, but it's late. >_>
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

I would argue that a like button is actually better than someone posting "I agree". It's a less intrusive way of getting your point across. 0_o
...I hate marquees.
~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

J-man wrote:I would argue that a like button is actually better than someone posting "I agree". It's a less intrusive way of getting your point across. 0_o
But, as pointed out by Catspaw, it's less specific.

If we have a like button, should we have a laugh button, and maybe a "That offends" me button as well?

I guess what I'm trying to say is, why is replacing an anoying action with a simple button it so attractive to everyone?
They/Them
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Well, we'll see how annoying people think it is when we have the mod poll really. Either way...this "debate" is going nowhere. >_>
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

~JCGJ~ wrote:
J-man wrote:I would argue that a like button is actually better than someone posting "I agree". It's a less intrusive way of getting your point across. 0_o
But, as pointed out by Catspaw, it's less specific.

If we have a like button, should we have a laugh button, and maybe a "That offends" me button as well?

I guess what I'm trying to say is, why is replacing an anoying action with a simple button it so attractive to everyone?
You get annoyed when people agree with you? ;)

Anyway, plenty of websites have like button/karma systems and it works fine. Agreed on the poll though, EK, if people want it then let them have it, if they don't, no big deal.
...I hate marquees.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Guys I can solve everything..

Not only will we install the Like button, we'll award $10 per Like to encourage everyone to use it as much as possible! \:D/
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
ique
Found

Post by ique »

Who spam likes? o.o
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

Jelly wrote:Guys I can solve everything..

Not only will we install the Like button, we'll award $10 per Like to encourage everyone to use it as much as possible! \:D/
*spam like*
he/him | a little stinker.
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

If all it does is add a little button and number on each post, and likes gain people nothing, I have no objection to a like button, although I am still voting for badges instead. Panda Bear ftw.
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

A vote for Badges is a vote for Panda Bear!

..except, not. :(
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait