Sports Discussion The Good The Bad And The C'mon Man!

Formerly Baseball Discussion: Latest Headlines.

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm definitely cheering for Detroit to beat Boston! I'm with you, bookworm. They're the underdogs, but hey, that doesn't mean that they can't pull off the upset! Winning the game that they're playing right now would go a long way towards winning the series! I've liked Detroit ever since watching them in the 1996 playoffs. Just thinking that reminds me of how old I am. ;)
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Oh, they’re against Boston? That’s too bad, that’s the other team I kind of like. But Detroit is my real team,

I actually have no personal reason to care for them, or for any hockey team actually, but I have a chosen team to root for in every sport I watch, so I picked the Red Wings when it was time to choose one for hockey because the uncle of one of my friends is a huge fan, and he’s the only person I know who has an actual hockey team they root for as opposed to simply liking hockey in general, so I decided to join him. \:D/

It worked out well, the season after I started rooting for them they won the Stanley Cup. :cool:
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

This year might not be your year, but hey, you never know. The problem with caring (in any sport) is that the odds are a lot better than some other team will win than your team. ;) In a league of 30 teams, I have a few favourites and a bunch that I like, but it's amazing how often a team I don't like seems to end up with the Stanley Cup, or at least making it far enough for me to get cranky. :x

Speaking of cranky, Jonathan Toews is not in my good books after his OT goal to help Chicage beat St. Louis tonight. Booo! I like (but don't love) St. Louis, but I generally actively dislike the Blackhawks, so there you have it. One grumpy Catspaw. ;) It was a nice-looking goal. It was just scored by the wrong team. :shame:
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

Post by Stop Wooton' Around »

So why do all my sports teams love injuries so much?

The Colts this passed season had a couple of really big loses such as Reggie Wayne, Vick Ballard, and Dwayne Allen.

The Bulls lost Derrick Rose again and Noah had to have surgery this off-season.

Then the Reds....well basically the whole team has been on the DL or so it seems.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Rangers versus Kings in the Stanley Cup Finals! GO NY! \:D/

Ha, Watson and I had a little wager with some Canadian friends in the last round - if the Rangers won, they would buy us poutine. If the Canadiens won, I had to make them NY cheesecake. I'm now looking forward to some delicious poutine from the street vendors in Ottawa this summer... ;)
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
E II
Animatronic
Post by E II »

So, anyone else think the rangers will win?
I am confused
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I don't know anything about either team, but I am rooting for the Kings.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Laura Ingalls wrote:Rangers versus Kings in the Stanley Cup Finals! GO NY! \:D/

Ha, Watson and I had a little wager with some Canadian friends in the last round - if the Rangers won, they would buy us poutine. If the Canadiens won, I had to make them NY cheesecake. I'm now looking forward to some delicious poutine from the street vendors in Ottawa this summer... ;)
I totally would have taken that bet. :(

I'm cheering for the Rangers. My problem with the third round was that the two teams I liked more (New York and Montreal) were playing each other, and the two teams I liked less (LA and Chicago) were playing each other. I love Henrik Lundqvist for his handsomeness (which is both considerable and legendary), his ability to communicate with the most famous Swedish chef ever, and also for that goalie thing that he apparently does well too. ;) I like the Rangers coach (Alain Vigneault) and his assistant (Scott Arniel.) They have guys that you almost have to be a terrible person to admit to not wanting good things to happen to them (Rich Nash and Martin St. Louis come to mind.) Plus of course Laura and Watson's happiness are very important to me, so what else can I do but cheer for the Rangers tomorrow night? \:D/

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Lebron James is returning to the Cleveland Cavaliers. What?
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

It was semi expected. Presumably they now trade Wiggins to Minnesota for Kevin Love. And then hopefully Melo signs with the Bulls on Monday, and we have the greatest rivalry in ages going.
Last edited by Knight Fisher on Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

So all that ridiculous drama over The Decision was pointless.

And he breaks his promise.

Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

This was the same scenario as in 2010. He ditched his aging team for a shot at a title. Going back to Cleveland just makes the PR easier.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
E II
Animatronic
Post by E II »

So how bout that big whatever number commissioner guy? Is he right? Is it easy to be able to chew and get. Away with it?
I am confused
Jamesobie
Gold Member

Post by Jamesobie »

;)
-Trenton Landmark<><
P.S. The Bones rule, and the Israelites drool.
In memory of StrongNChrist, whom I never met.Image
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Heat still makes the finals next season. RUN IT.
E II
Animatronic
Post by E II »

No way ,they will fizzle out in the second round, chris bosh can't win a championship by himself.
Last edited by E II on Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am confused
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I watched several games of the Little League World Series, my first time seeing a LL game. I actually enjoyed it more than professional baseball, things happened. Every game had a lot of action and was very exciting.
E II
Animatronic
Post by E II »

I loved the handshake at the end :)
I am confused
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

What about that Packers/Bears game? Only the second game in the entire history of the NFL to not have a single punt.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

The NHL season starts tomorrow. \:D/ Woohoo! I am looking forward to having hockey in my life again. It's great to have all the hope that comes at the start of the season, where any team could potentially make the playoffs, as opposed to later on, when you realize that your favourite team(s) probably will not, or you sit around worrying that your team will tank and all your cheering will be for nothing. :mecry:

....But let's save the serious tears for a few months. ;)