What popular TV shows do you dislike?

Or don't understand why they're popular...

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
Mandy Straussberg
Animatronic

What popular TV shows do you dislike?

Post by Mandy Straussberg »

The movie thread reminded me of a bunch of popular TV shows that I never understood their popularity....

Lost
Alias
Survivor
House
Family Guy
That '70s Show
Simpsons

So what about everyone else?

Mandy
Music is my life. God's given me gifts, and I like to use them.
Spirit now lead me, take me where You will
I long to adore You, reveal Yourself to me
My cry is to please You, so have Your way in me
Completely to bring glory to Your Name
jasodia
I'm not Gabe

Post by jasodia »

The first Survivor was good...we know Tina!!! But anyways I think you're right about all but 24....that show is amazing!

my best friend is pink jeans!
"I don't pretend to be Captain Weird. I just am."
-Johnny Depp
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

All you wrote are ones I don't understand either. Plus these:

Grey's Anatomy
Windfall
Stargate SG-1
Stargate:Atlantis
Startrek:Enterprise

Anything else I missed?
Larry The Pickle
If posts were pigs...
Location: An uncharted Island, thought to exist only in myth.

Post by Larry The Pickle »

Desperate Housewives
Alias
CSI (yes, every single two thousand of them)

among others which I can't think of.
Evolution is a faith, not a science!
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

Larry The Pickle wrote:Desperate Housewives
Alias
CSI (yes, every single two thousand of them)

among others which I can't think of.
I forgot about Desperate Houswives, but I disagree with you on the CSI one. I know a whole lot of people who like them, and there are three of them. I have an uncle, and I know loads of people here on ToO who like them. "Yes, every single two thousand of them"? what does that mean? They are 6 seasons so far for CSI:Las Vegas, 4 seasons for CSI:Miami, and 2 for CSI:New York. About 23 to 24 episodes for each season, so if you figure it out, they are only about almost 300 episodes together. Not two thousand. Love, HC.

I get touchy about this subject, and Nick Stokes is hot without his shirt on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! O.k., got to love CSI:LV, wedding style.
Kenric
If posts were pigs...

Post by Kenric »

Mandy Straussberg wrote:The movie thread reminded me of a bunch of popular TV shows that I never understood their popularity....

Lost
Alias
Survivor
House
Family Guy
That '70s Show
Simpsons

Mandy
I never understood of any of these either. I once watched an episode of Family Guy. It was funny, but it was so inappropriate that I changed it after a couple of minutes. House is weird. I do admire his fake American accent, though. He was on Ellen, and he actually has a British accent. Alias? Never got that. Survivor? I watched some of it, but it's so overrated. That 70s Show is just a bunch of stupid stuff. And I hate how The Simpsons became popular among kids because it's an adult cartoon and so is South Park. I have never understood the "excitement" of 24. Everything y'all have mentioned I've never understood either [like Stargate, Startrek, Star Wars, Grey's Anatomy, and Windfall] I must admit, however, that I LOVE CSI:NY and CSI: Miami plus all the Law and Orders, Crossing Jordan, and Without a Trace \:D/.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Kenric wrote:And I hate how The Simpsons became popular among kids because it's an adult cartoon and so is South Park.
The Simpsons isn't considered an adult cartoon--it's an all-ages, family program. Like... Home Improvement, or something. It's popularity comes from a few things, one being that its a cartoon, but feels like a normal sitcome--I think that made people interested in the eariler days. Beyond that, it's a smart, funny, and at times heartwarming program... it pretty much encompasses everything, which since the shows been on nearly 20 years, it must be a good approach for a program. ;)

Though I don't have much to say for the other programs. Family Guy can be extremely funny, but its so indecent that its not really worth the time...
Larry The Pickle
If posts were pigs...

Kenric wrote:And I hate how The Simpsons became popular among kids because it's an adult cartoon and so is South Park.
South Park yes. Family Guy yes. Futurama yes. King Of The Hill yes. Aqua Teen Hunger Force yes. But I've never seen why The Simpsons is to be considered an ADULT show. (true I haven't seen like hardly any episodes) We were never allowed to watch it because it was stupid, pointless, mindnumbing, but not that I know of because it was bad.

And to you HC, I said I didn't get it/like it. I know millions of people around the world like it. Same with Law & Order which I forgot to mention. But my parents watch Law & Order. So it all depends on taste :shrugs:
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Larry The Pickle wrote:
South Park yes. Family Guy yes. Futurama yes. King Of The Hill yes. Aqua Teen Hunger Force yes. But I've never seen why The Simpsons is to be considered an ADULT show. (true I haven't seen like hardly any episodes) We were never allowed to watch it because it was stupid, pointless, mindnumbing, but not that I know of because it was bad.

And to you HC, I said I didn't get it/like it. I know millions of people around the world like it. Same with Law & Order which I forgot to mention. But my parents watch Law & Order. So it all depends on taste :shrugs:
What's wrong with King of the Hill and Futurama? :-s The others you mentioned, definitely, but those two are fine... King of the Hill is probably the most intelligent currently running sitcom. Futurama was great, in its time (and is supposedly coming back).
Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

Hmm...like...all of them? I haven't seen most of them, though, so I really can't judge them all, but most seem so stupid or lame. I don't really bother with TV much at all. Radio and the computer suit me fine!
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
Larry The Pickle
If posts were pigs...

The Top Crusader wrote:
Larry The Pickle wrote:

What's wrong with King of the Hill and Futurama? :-s The others you mentioned, definitely, but those two are fine... King of the Hill is probably the most intelligent currently running sitcom. Futurama was great, in its time (and is supposedly coming back).
Hey, I personally LOVE Futurama AND Family Guy (and would be psyched for it to come back) but Futurama is NOT a childrens cartoon! If it was a movie I'd prolly rate it PG-13. It has it's unclean moments!

And of what I've seen of King Of The Hill and remember, that also has questionable material in it.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

I didn't say it was for CHILDREN, I said its just for general audiances (see the Home Improvement example I made.)

Really, King of the Hill is cleaner than Simpsons or Futurama... Futurama being a bit dirtier than the Simpsons, I think. King of the Hill tackles some subject matter some people may be uncomfortable with, but they tend to have the characters reach the right conclusions and make good points... really, its the most moral thing I've seen on TV lately (other than Benny Hinn!). \:D/
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

I've been watching Simpons since it came out (I just a couple of months old at the time) and I've seen most of the episodes... my youngest sister (now 4) watches it obsessively.

The nice (well, kind of nice) thing about it is that the little kids don't get 99% of the adult jokes on there, and the people that do are old enough to at least understand them... That doesn't make them any more decent, but I don't think it's an adult cartoon.

Family Guy, yes. Southpark, sure. Striperella, definitely. But Simpsons? Nah. Stupid at times, but so hilariously funny I keep watching it if I catch it on. Maybe 4 times a month... maybe.
Mr.Whit
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Mr.Whit »

STARGGETE SG1?
You have to be kidding its awesome.

Roseanne,Cheers
are a couple I like
WINDSHEAR
Name Eater

Post by WINDSHEAR »

I like Without a Trace, CSI can be interesting, and Law and Order is ok.

I agree most of those in the first list are just... :anxious:
JIA (9/13/2008 10:54:27 AM): That long?!
JIA (9/13/2008 10:54:31 AM): IT WAS EONS AGO!
JIA (9/13/2008 10:54:33 AM): *falls over*
WINDSHEAR (9/13/2008 10:54:46 AM): I've already fallen over and died :noway:
WINDSHEAR (9/13/2008 10:54:47 AM): I beat you. :neener:
Joni_Slade
Pilgrim

Post by Joni_Slade »

What I try to keep in mind when I casually view an episode of a TV show is that I'm not seeing what the fans see. The fans see a complex net of continuing storylines and character relationships. I see scenes I can't relate to, out of context. I checked Alias out of the library, but unfortunatly it was the second half of the first season, and I couldn't really understand the appeal. But that's probably because I didn't see the whole thing from the start.

When I think about my favorite shows, it's the ever-changing relationships between the characters that I find most delightful. Even in reality shows I get hooked on, the appeal is in the growth of the individuals. If you're not following the show from the start, you can't get a sense of that growth.

I talk to a lot of people who've maybe just heard an AIO episode here and there, and they might think it's cute or something, and I know they don't hear what I'm hearing. What makes AIO so amazing at this point is its history. I think a lot of shows, once they have a fanbase, can't find a way to include new viewers while at the same time satisfying their fans.

And another thing is that very often a show starts out rocky and improves drastically later on--so you can't really judge what's popular about it even if you're in on the beginning unless you continue watching it throughout. And who has time for that?

Most of the shows people have mentioned, I've never seen. All that said, I don't get the appeal of That 70's Show. But then, I've never tried to watch it seriously.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Latest fanfiction: Parting Words.
the_newfie_haystack
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by the_newfie_haystack »

Kat wrote:I've been watching Simpons since it came out (I just a couple of months old at the time) and I've seen most of the episodes... my youngest sister (now 4) watches it obsessively.

The nice (well, kind of nice) thing about it is that the little kids don't get 99% of the adult jokes on there, and the people that do are old enough to at least understand them... That doesn't make them any more decent, but I don't think it's an adult cartoon.

Family Guy, yes. Southpark, sure. Striperella, definitely. But Simpsons? Nah. Stupid at times, but so hilariously funny I keep watching it if I catch it on. Maybe 4 times a month... maybe.
I'm with ya, Rachael. My parents and I will watch The Simpson's every once in a while, but not often. One of the best episodes is when Maggie end's up with the bear cubs and the bears are in awe of her. I forget which one it was. My parent's and I laughed so hard while we were watching it that our sides hurt.

Haystack
"To be nobody but yourself in a world that's doing its best to make you somebody else is to fight the hardest battle you are ever going to fight. Never stop fighting." -- E. E. Cummings
Larry The Pickle
If posts were pigs...

the_newfie_haystack wrote:
Kat wrote:I've been watching Simpons since it came out (I just a couple of months old at the time) and I've seen most of the episodes... my youngest sister (now 4) watches it obsessively.

I'm with ya, Rachael. My parents and I will watch The Simpson's every once in a while, but not often. One of the best episodes is when Maggie end's up with the bear cubs and the bears are in awe of her. I forget which one it was. My parent's and I laughed so hard while we were watching it that our sides hurt.

Haystack
My fave episode (the only one I've really seen) is the Dead Zone one.
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

I don't get the obsession with 24 either. I don't like that you have to watch it from the first episode to the last episode to even get a glimmer of an understanding of what in the world is goind on! :goof2:

Star Gate is HARDLY over-rated. Most people don't even know the show. It's so huge because it's usually shown @ 11:00 at night and still has a huge cult following. It's gotten to far away from me to know what's going on there either, but it's a good ORIGINAL show.

I can't say that I don't like Family Guy or The Simpsons, since I've never seen an episode of either one. Honestly, in the last 2 months, I've been asked "Have you seen Family Guy" at least 30 times! I don't understand why. I have zero interest in watching either of those shows.:wha:

I LOVE King of the Hill. It's crass at times, but I think it's a good hearted show and has a lot of good morals in them. The goodness of propane over charcol, for instance!

Hehe, it's hard not to come in here and defend all the shows that people don't like that I do. :gamer:
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
shasta
My posts are revolutionary

Post by shasta »

Mandy Straussberg wrote:The movie thread reminded me of a bunch of popular TV shows that I never understood their popularity....
Lost
Everyone has their tastes. And I can certainly sympathize with wanting to "not commit" to a whole season of show to enjoy it. Numb3rs, for instance, is a great show that you don't have to see every episode to enjoy.

That said, Lost is the best show currently on TV. Hands down. Character development, symbolism, plot twists, creative music score, production values, storytelling... this show has it all. You should probably be at least 15-16 to handle some of the content. And you do need to start at Season 1 to really get what's going on. But it's totally amazing.

24 has perhaps lost its way lately. I mean, how many times can Jack Bauer save L.A./the country/the world? But if you have about 16 hours to kill, 24- Season Two is the best season of TV I've ever seen. Epic action, thrilling pace... a bit too much torture (definitely not for family viewing). But phenomenal stuff.

-king shasta