Online Pastor

*Discussion put into it's own thread*

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
Baragon
Party Pooper

Online Pastor

Post by Baragon »

Flyah wrote:
blipadouzi wrote:Now, now guys...

It doesn't matter which denomination we claim...or which walls we pray and worship in....
Hmm.....
Yeah, we can claim the Mormon denomination and everything will be fine!!!

Forgive me, but why does a message board even need a so-called "pastor"? :-s
Last edited by Baragon on Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Watson wrote:The main reason for the Civil War was so that rednecks can drive around with Confederate flags in their pickup trucks.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Continental Admiral wrote:
Flyah wrote:
blipadouzi wrote:Now, now guys...

It doesn't matter which denomination we claim...or which walls we pray and worship in....
Hmm.....
Yeah, we can claim the Morman denomination and everything will be fine!!!

Forgive me, but why does a message board even need a so-called "pastor"? :-s
To counsel troubled marriages, naturally.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

"I do marriage counselling on Thursdays."

Okay, so that's Father Gilbert, not me personally. ;)
gimp80995
No way I broke the window

Post by gimp80995 »

Continental Admiral wrote: Forgive me, but why does a message board even need a so-called "pastor"? :-s
Because a church should have a pastor, and we have a church on this message board (which is becomming more and more like a town to me than a message board). And we need someone to break up all the fights and to calm the ranting sessions (even though there are only a few who go on such ranting sessions).

Peace Out

-Gimp
God does not call the qualified, He qualifies the called.

God, Grant us the peace that comes from honest dealings so that no fear of discovery will haunt our sleep May we inflict no pain, bring no shame, and seek no profit by another's loss.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Catspaw wrote:"I do marriage counselling on Thursdays."

Okay, so that's Father Gilbert, not me personally. ;)
But I wanted you to counsel my marriage. :(

And on another note, why the prospect of this being more like a "real town" than a message board doesn't cause everyone to run away in terror is beyond me... :noway:
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

Hmmm... perhaps Regis would be more agreeable to seeing a marriage counselor online than in real life. \:D/ It's worth a try...

;-)
Blipadouzi
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Blipadouzi »

Continental Admiral wrote:Forgive me, but why does a message board even need a so-called "pastor"? :-s
In technicality, the "pastor" is the moderator of this particular forum...but we (the members of the board) have made it into something more. Devotions, as gimp said someone to break-up fights.

On a personal level, I have taken the position quite seriously. I pray for everyone here as often as I can. I consider everyone's spiritual well being and relationship with the Lord and try to take that into consideration in 95% of my posts of the board.
Baragon
Party Pooper

Post by Baragon »

Good grief, people. It's an online message board. Not a town. This is becoming more and like a cult... :roll: And Trent can't be blamed for that, either. :noway:
Dr. Watson wrote:The main reason for the Civil War was so that rednecks can drive around with Confederate flags in their pickup trucks.
Trinarius
If posts were pigs...

Post by Trinarius »

Continental Admiral wrote:Good grief, people. It's an online message board. Not a town. This is becoming more and like a cult... :roll: And Trent can't be blamed for that, either. :noway:
Would you mind explaining how this is becoming more and more like a cult? :-s Yes, this is only a message board and that must be kept in the proper perspective. However, I don't see what is wrong about having someone lead devotions and Christian fellowship. I fail to see how this can be categorized as cultish. :-k
-Josh

Trinarius is back. Kind of.
Baragon
Party Pooper

Post by Baragon »

Trinarius wrote: Yes, this is only a message board and that must be kept in the proper perspective.
That's just it. A lot of the time, it doesn't seem to be kept in a proper perspective.

I don't see anything wrong with Christian devotionals, either. However, this isn't a church. And it's not anything compared to a real church, or real life relationships that could be formed. The internet is not the place to go to fill in gaps for real life.

I'll stop there, as I'm not in the proper mindset right now to say much more, lest I say something that might offend. :)
Trinarius
If posts were pigs...

Post by Trinarius »

Continental Admiral wrote:
Trinarius wrote: Yes, this is only a message board and that must be kept in the proper perspective.
That's just it. A lot of the time, it doesn't seem to be kept in a proper perspective.

I don't see anything wrong with Christian devotionals, either. However, this isn't a church. And it's not anything compared to a real church, or real life relationships that could be formed. The internet is not the place to go to fill in gaps for real life.

I'll stop there, as I'm not in the proper mindset right now to say much more, lest I say something that might offend. :)
So am I to understand that you think that people are taking this too seriously - acting like it's a real church? I see your point in that this is just the Internet and should not be treated as anything close to real life. I was just trying to understand what specifically made you think that this was starting to become like a cult - a strong term to use for a Christian community. :)
Last edited by Trinarius on Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Josh

The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Don't numerous cults start out as "Christian communities"? :-
Trinarius
If posts were pigs...

Post by Trinarius »

Indeed they do, Brian. :( But do you mind stating what specific actions, statements, etc. might be warning signs that the First Church of Odyssey is turning into one? I'm sure that the people here would appreciate your input. :)
-Josh

The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Trinarius wrote:Indeed they do, Brian. :( But do you mind stating what specific actions, statements, etc. might be warning signs that the First Church of Odyssey is turning into one? I'm sure that the people here would appreciate your input. :)
Don't confuse me with... that woman! ;) I didn't say it's a cult, that I recall. ;)

"Cult" is perhaps being used too loosely. I don't personally have serious concerns about the concept of First Church or anything, moreso the overall board in general... though this probably isn't the place to discuss that. ;)
Trinarius
If posts were pigs...

Post by Trinarius »

Amadeo wrote:
Trinarius wrote:Indeed they do, Brian. :( But do you mind stating what specific actions, statements, etc. might be warning signs that the First Church of Odyssey is turning into one? I'm sure that the people here would appreciate your input. :)
Don't confuse me with... that woman! ;) I didn't say it's a cult, that I recall. ;)

"Cult" is perhaps being used too loosely. I don't personally have serious concerns about the concept of First Church or anything, moreso the overall board in general... though this probably isn't the place to discuss that. ;)
Ah, my mistake. I thought that you both thought this was a cult. ;) I'll try not to get confuzzled next time. O:)
-Josh

Blipadouzi
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Blipadouzi »

I've put this discussion into it's own thread as it really had nothing to do with "welcome our new pastor"...but by all means keep the discussion going.
Continental Admiral wrote:I don't see anything wrong with Christian devotionals, either. However, this isn't a church. And it's not anything compared to a real church, or real life relationships that could be formed. The internet is not the place to go to fill in gaps for real life.
***Disclaimer: Although the quote is taken from Continental Admiral, my statement is not directed towards him but rather everyone in general***

I agree with you that nothing replaces our attendance and fellowship in the local church...I cannot understand how some Christians think that simply staying at home and watching tele-evangelists on tv is a good enough Sunday spiritual meal.

The tele-evangelists are not there for the saved, but for the unsaved...they are evangelists.

However, I also don't agree that "this" isn't a church. A church is not defined by the walls of the building, but by the people that inhabit that building in praise and worship. WE are the church. Wherever we congregate to worship and uplift the Lord, that is a church.

I don't expect anyone to come to me for counseling or healing or deliverance. But if anyone needs prayer...I will pray with them. If anyone needs to hear a Word, I will seek the Lord if He has one for them.

And it's not because I'm the "pastor" here...but because it's my duty as a Christian, as a brother.

As for why we need a pastor here...it's exactly for this reason. Wherever Christians come together, there is warfare, spiritual warfare...and someone needs to intercede to Christ on our behalf.

Continue discussing this if you wish, I will continue to monitor things to make sure it doesn't get out of hand...but this is all I have to say on the matter.

May the Lord richly bless you all.
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

CA is a girl. :-D That explains why she and Top have been seeing each other a bit lately. ;-)

I think you're doing a good job, blip. I try to keep the NSP running more or less like a Christian small group (but it feels healthier than the ToO, simply because it doesn't have any fancy features on it, so that we're constantly reminded that it's just a message board), and I, too, take my position very seriously.

I think Jessica's gripe is more about the whole concept of having a 'real church' in a 'real town', not with you personally or the job you've been doing.
Blipadouzi
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Blipadouzi »

Sorry CA,

If my eyes were open for more than 2 seconds I would have noticed the gender icon next to your user profile. :anxious:
Rachael wrote:I think Jessica's gripe is more about the whole concept of having a 'real church' in a 'real town', not with you personally or the job you've been doing.
I figured as much, but I can often be misunderstood, and so I thought I would clarify my previous statement.
Baragon
Party Pooper

Post by Baragon »

Note: I used the term "cult" very loosely and probably shouldn't have used the term at all... I couldn't think of something else to use in it's place, though. Forgive me.

I think Rachael summed up my concerns, so I'll not say anything further. :)
gimp80995
No way I broke the window

Post by gimp80995 »

A lot of good points have been made here. Earlier I was goofing around with my post, but since it appears that the direction of this thread has become more serious, I shall do likewise.

1) It is true and not true at the same time. This isn't a "real church" in the sense that the ToO First Church of Odyssey shouldn't be where we come for worship services. However it is a real church since we are here. "the church" isn't about buildings and pews and organs and all that stuff. "the church" is the believers who make it up. We all (or most of us) are Christians, so to an extent we are "the church" here.

2) I think it's already been said, but I wasn't paying attention when reading this........Blipadouzi is not an ordained pastor. There are some things he can counsel us on since he is an older Christian adult (believe it or not the older adults do tend to know a thing or two.....sometimes ;) ). We shouldn't make the mistake of having him take the place of a real-life pastor for everything that we might go to a pastor about.

3) The original question was why we need a pastor........I still think mostly just to moderate around here and help us out when he is able. And it is kind of nice to be able to come here and read the devotionals each day and occasionally take part in a discussion on the devotionals for the day and such.

4) The whole purpose of this board (in general) is to have fun. "First Church of Odyssey" just happens to be a good idea for a section to discuss scripture, devotionals, prayer requests / praise reports, etc. I would hope that this fourm never takes the place of worshiping in a church in real life. After the past week, there is nothing that feels as good as being in a church worshiping with other believers (in real life).......I spend a good portion of my days doing just that. Here's a typical day's schedual for me for this 9 day camp meeting (quick note, that this is my schedual, everyone here follows their own schedual and goes to the classes / seminars that are interesting to them.....however I'd say at least 99% of the people here start and end each day with devotional time and church services):
  • 5:30 AM -- Wake up, devotional time
    6:30 AM -- shower
    7:00 AM -- devotional time with the church family
    7:30 AM -- Breakfast
    9:30 AM -- Class / seminar (which I am missing today b/c it was cancled)
    11:00 AM-- Church service (every day of the 9 days)
    Noon -- Lunch
    1-2 PM -- Personal Bible Study / prayer time / free time
    2:00 - 3:15 PM -- class / seminar
    3:45 - 5:00 PM -- class / seminar
    5:00 PM -- Supper
    6:00 PM -- Prayer Garden
    7:00 - 9:00 PM -- Church service every day (sometimes longer since this pastor hasn't yet ended at 9 PM so far) (Fri and Sat. nights I go for this from 7:00- 7:30, then head over to join the young adults church service from 7:30-9:00)
    9:00 PM - whenever -- fellowship, free time, devotional time, go to sleep
I've had a couple of people (who aren't attending this) tell me that they'd never survive a week and a half of being in church for 14+ hrs a day......but it's an awesome experience to begin and end each day in church. In all honesty, I wouldn't mind being able to do so all year long instead of only 9 days a year......and in a sense I do since I read my Bible and pray first thing in the morning and last thing at night before going to bed.
gimp80995 wrote:2) I think it's already been said, but I wasn't paying attention when reading this........Blipadouzi is not an ordained pastor. There are some things he can counsel us on since he is an older Christian adult (believe it or not the older adults do tend to know a thing or two.....sometimes ;) ). We shouldn't make the mistake of having him take the place of a real-life pastor for everything that we might go to a pastor about.
This is something I've been learning a lot about in my classes this week. That I -- and all of us as humans -- have a tendency to run to another human to discuss our problems with. I fully believe that it's perfectly fine to do so -- to share burdens and prayer requests and such.......but so far this week, I've noticed I have a tendency to talk to anyone who will listen about my problems.......before talking to God about them. This is something I'm going to be working a lot on. Taking my problems to God _before_ taking them to another person. While it's nice to have a pastor (in real life or online) to talk to, often times we would feel a lot better (and a lot sooner) if we went to God first......and took the time to listen for His answers. Often times for us prayer is simply a "grocery list" of us telling God what we want, and what we think we need......and sometimes telling God what are problems are -- and telling Him how to fix the problem....then we say "Amen" and rush about our day without taking the time to listen to His answer.

OK, I'll quit now before I end up writing up a sermon ;)

Peace Out

-Gimp
God does not call the qualified, He qualifies the called.

God, Grant us the peace that comes from honest dealings so that no fear of discovery will haunt our sleep May we inflict no pain, bring no shame, and seek no profit by another's loss.