Jane Austen

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Iverkid
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Iverkid »

dawningoftime wrote:I LOOOOOOOOOOVE Jane Austin. I've read most of her books and seen most of the adaptations for TV/movie.
The Six hour Pride and Prejudice is the best adapation there is. The worst is one made back in the 1930 or 40's with Lawerence Olivier (although the new one runs a close second for that spot).

Emma with Gwenyth Paltrow was excellent because it was very light hearted, but the A&E version with Kate Beckensale was also good.

Sense and Senseability
was AWSOME. Charlotte and Mr. Palmer were perfectly cast.

Mansfield Park was an all right adaptation...although I pefer the BBC version better.
I didn't know about the one made back in the 30's. Interesting.

Iverkid
Pray for Sri Lanka.
Aelwyn
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Aelwyn »

Iverkid wrote:Am I the only guy who likes Pride and Predjudice? I can't be. Maybe Samwise likes it.

Iverkid
I think it's cool that some guys like Pride and Prejudice. \:D/ I'm on a homeschool forum that has a lot of guys that like Pride and Prejudice. :D And I have cousins that love the 6 hour version of P&P. Sadly, my brothers have never watched it.
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

Iverkid wrote:
dawningoftime wrote:I LOOOOOOOOOOVE Jane Austin. I've read most of her books and seen most of the adaptations for TV/movie.
The Six hour Pride and Prejudice is the best adapation there is. The worst is one made back in the 1930 or 40's with Lawerence Olivier (although the new one runs a close second for that spot).

Emma with Gwenyth Paltrow was excellent because it was very light hearted, but the A&E version with Kate Beckensale was also good.

Sense and Senseability
was AWSOME. Charlotte and Mr. Palmer were perfectly cast.

Mansfield Park was an all right adaptation...although I pefer the BBC version better.
I didn't know about the one made back in the 30's. Interesting.

Iverkid
We have Turner Movie Classics and it was on there.
ichthuz
My posts are revolutionary

Post by ichthuz »

okay im kind of a diehard fan, critic... heres my opinion on the two movies

The character of Elizabeth Bennet was played much differently in this new movie than in the older version. In the older 1995 version the part was played by Jennifer Ehle who played the part admirably. As with any long movie, however, her long, emothional speeches do tend to become a bit tedious. In the newer version, Elizabeth was played by young Kierra Knightly. Although her acting is horrendous in many of her other movies she played this part to near perfection, even better than it was played by Ehle.

On the development of the character of Elizabeth Bennet herself, the 1995 version did a better job, if only because it had four hours more in which to do it. The character in the 1995 version was much more subtle in its change fromdespising Mr. Darcy to eventually loving him. In the 2005 version it seems that in one scene she is shouting at him in anger and in the next accepting his proposal of marriage.

The character of Mr. Darcy was played in the 1995 version of P&P by Colin Firrth whose impressive hairdo and sideburns as well ans good acting acurately portrayed the proud and antisocial side of Mr. Darcy. When it came to falling in love, however Firth had a hard time of it. He only smiled in the last five seconds of the movie and seemed to be indifferent before he was actually married. In the 2005 version Darcy is played by Matthew Macfayden who does a better job of playing the loving Darcy even if he fails miserably at portraying him as a proud and haughty aristocrat, seeming more like a melencholy and meek man of jello.

The change in Darcy, from pride and apathy to humility and love is portrayed, I believe, equally well, and badly, in both films.
Whoever voted for the Continental Breakfast Club should be taken outside and bea-- um.... shaken. - Continental Admiral
Lucy Pevensie
sn33ky hobbitses
sn33ky hobbitses

Post by Lucy Pevensie »

I noticed that too, Darcy is pretty different in the new movie from the Darcy in the book. (well, a little at least) You hardly see him act proud in the new movie, more like a misunderstood guy. (I'm not going as far as melancholy meek man of jello :p)I have no idea what the Darcy in the old version acts like, as I've never watched it... 0.o

I don't think Elizabeth is exactly "yelling at him in one scene and marrying him in the next". More like she has a bad habit of acting very prejudiced and feeling extremely bad for it later. :-$
Need a nice signature/avatar set? Take a look at my shop! :)
All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out. John 6:37
Lucy is my twin Laura Ingalls = l33t ~*Robin Baggins/Respectahobbit*~
Iverkid
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Iverkid »

ichthuz wrote:okay im kind of a diehard fan, critic... heres my opinion on the two movies

The character of Elizabeth Bennet was played much differently in this new movie than in the older version. In the older 1995 version the part was played by Jennifer Ehle who played the part admirably. As with any long movie, however, her long, emothional speeches do tend to become a bit tedious. In the newer version, Elizabeth was played by young Kierra Knightly. Although her acting is horrendous in many of her other movies she played this part to near perfection, even better than it was played by Ehle.

On the development of the character of Elizabeth Bennet herself, the 1995 version did a better job, if only because it had four hours more in which to do it. The character in the 1995 version was much more subtle in its change fromdespising Mr. Darcy to eventually loving him. In the 2005 version it seems that in one scene she is shouting at him in anger and in the next accepting his proposal of marriage.

The character of Mr. Darcy was played in the 1995 version of P&P by Colin Firrth whose impressive hairdo and sideburns as well ans good acting acurately portrayed the proud and antisocial side of Mr. Darcy. When it came to falling in love, however Firth had a hard time of it. He only smiled in the last five seconds of the movie and seemed to be indifferent before he was actually married. In the 2005 version Darcy is played by Matthew Macfayden who does a better job of playing the loving Darcy even if he fails miserably at portraying him as a proud and haughty aristocrat, seeming more like a melencholy and meek man of jello.

The change in Darcy, from pride and apathy to humility and love is portrayed, I believe, equally well, and badly, in both films.
Yeah just post your school report on it.

Iverkid
Pray for Sri Lanka.
Squirrel
I've been here a bit

Post by Squirrel »

I love the Jane Austen movies at least most of them like P&P, Emma, Persuasion, and Sense and Sensibility. I read Persuasion cause I liked it so much. The book was even better. I loved everything that wasn't said. (Or in this case written). I think its one of the lesser known, but is there anyone else who considers Persuasion a favorite?
Sarah
Someone's favorite

Post by Sarah »

I loved Pride and Prejudice, I finished reading it about a month ago. I haven't seen the 1995 version yet, but I'm planning on it. I saw the 2005 version, and I like it, even if it's not as true to the book.

I saw Emma (with Gwynneth Paltrow), but I didn't understand what was going on, so I was completely lost. I'll have to watch it again.

As for males liking P&P, my older brother wanted to watch it with me, but I lent it to someone, so we couldn't. I'll have to watch it with him this week, and see how he likes it. I'm thinkng he'll favor the scenes with Miss Knightley, though. Just a hunch.

Sarah
map
Found

Post by map »

I really enjoy reading Jane Austen's books. I have read almost all of them. I'd have to say that I liked "Pride" the best, but they are all good.
totustuus
Pilgrim

Post by totustuus »

Catspaw wrote:
Iverkid wrote:Am I the only guy who likes Pride and Predjudice? I can't be. Maybe Samwise likes it.

Iverkid
I think the Keira Knightley factor makes it slightly more tolerable to some guys. ;) My brother watched at least part of it - he was in the room while it was on, though he was also playing a computer game. He didn't hate it, though I doubt he would have watched it without doing something else at the same time.
My little brother watched part of the old 6-hour one with us before he had to go to bed. The next day he wanted to watch the rest!
sweet pea
Tallying up

Post by sweet pea »

ok i am a huge jane austin fan ..
i own the bbc p&p, emma and sense and sensabilty,and the new p&p
i love them all ...

i am about to read emma, iva already read pride and predjeduce
*dont worry about the world ending today.. its already tommarrow in australia.*