Wall Street Journal

Can reading the newspaper made you smarter?

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Wall Street Journal

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

Well, reading this one can. I love this paper. I'll get a new edition [my mom brings them home from work, she's in the financial business] and go directly to the Op/Ed page. I love the people they have writing. I believe that this paper has a lot less slant than other papers around here.

Here is a great link to the Op/Ed articles online: http://www.opinionjournal.com/
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
shasta
My posts are revolutionary

Post by shasta »

Wow, I've never met anyone else who enjoyed reading the Journal. The print version is the best reporting out there, it doesn't give you that liberal bent like the New York Times.

The one column online not to miss is Peggy Noonan.

Another great source for current events and analysis is The American Enterprise Magazine (www.taemag.com).

-king shasta
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

Thanks for the link. *checks it out*
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Actually, the WSJ tends to lean right... not that that's a bad thing, though. \:D/

*hugs the journal*
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

The Top Crusader wrote:Actually, the WSJ tends to lean right... not that that's a bad thing, though. \:D/

*hugs the journal*
Well, I disagree. I think that since all we know is the left bias, things in the middle seem slanted right by comparison. :D
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

I think it all depends on how you're taught to write. I don't know how many universities that stress the importance of objectivity, but I know when I was in broadcast news class objectivity was stressed. If people write how they see it then the slant will come more into play because they are seeing it through their values, background, etc. However when you get both sides of the story it is easier to find the true story. However I did like what I read in the WSJ
Clodius Albinus
Smile for the camera

Post by Clodius Albinus »

I find this interesting, and perhaps a case of projecting preconceived biases onto paper. The reporting of the Wall Street Journal is by no means right-leaning. Of course, ideally, all but the editorial pages of any newspaper would be as objective as possible, but this is simply not possible. Even the judgment of what to print is a value judgment, and those simply cannot be made in a vacuum. As newspapers go, the actual news content of the WSJ leans slightly further left than most. Al Hunt had a lot to do with the day-to-day operations over the years, and many studies have indicated that the Journal has been, for the most part, slightly to the left of other major papers, including WaPo and NYT, in its news coverage.

Still, it is most certainly thorough and features high quality reporting. I don't read the Journal's news coverage much, as it is not available for free online, and while I can pull articles from the paper via services available on my college's network, it is generally not worth the hassle if one's purpose is to merely browse, not seek out a particular article. Nonetheless, despite my somewhat limited familiarity with it, I would probably rank it up there with The Washington Post as providing some of the best reporting in the country.

Where it is undeniably right-leaning is on its editorial page, under Robert Bartley and now Paul Gigot. I highly recommend opinionjournal.com as a source of some of the better opinion pieces around.
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust."
Mr Sarcastic Cow Man
I'm memorable

Post by Mr Sarcastic Cow Man »

Well, any newspaper that tells the truth will seem to lean right, because we are right... \:D/
Bare feet pwn. ~ Lucy