How do you picture AIO characters?

Describe them here!

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Chandler

How do you picture AIO characters?

Post by Chandler »

Describe any character you feel like. You don't have to follow an "official" picture or anyone else's ideas. Just say how you picture them when you hear them! \:D/
Joni_Slade
Pilgrim

Post by Joni_Slade »

Okay, I'm sort of reluctant to reveal this because my mental images differ from the "canon" looks of the characters . . . but for what it's worth, I was listening to AIO for like three years before seeing an album cover . . .

I just described my Richard, Lucy and Tasha over in the Inventor's Corner . . .

My Whit does not have a moustache. He's also not overweight. He is white haired and has an exceptionally friendly face. My Wooton is also not overweight. In fact, he's quite skinny. My Eugene is not particularly skinny. And he doesn't wear glasses. (I know; weird, right?) He does have red hair though. My Walter Shakespeare is slight and wiry, with a full head of sandy brown hair. My Blackgaards are much more sort of massive than their cartoon depictions. My Connie, Rodney, Jason and Tom look pretty well like their cartoon depictions. My Katrina has brown hair and is like really, really pretty. My Bart is always wearing a Hawaiian shirt (??).

And . . . when I first started listening . . . (I've only confessed this to one person, and she laughed in my face for like a minute) . . . I pictured Eugene . . . with green skin. I don't know why! The first episode I heard was A License to Drive, and nothing in that episode suggests he's not human or anything . . . but . . . c'mon, doesn't he sound a little green-skinned? I mean? *hides*
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Latest fanfiction: Parting Words.
ichthuz
My posts are revolutionary

Post by ichthuz »

My Wooton is also not overweight. In fact, he's quite skinny

true
Whoever voted for the Continental Breakfast Club should be taken outside and bea-- um.... shaken. - Continental Admiral
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Some of the people I picture are influenced by the artwork.
• I have a hard time getting the current represenation of Whit out of my head. Like you said, Joni, I prefer to have a Whit with average weight.
• I picture Eugene like the artists do, unfortunately. :( I wish I didn't but I've been fed that image for so many years I can't get it out of my head! :mad:
• Some of my images are influenced by Bruce Day's artwork. Connie falls under this category. The one album I had for so many years pictured her with short, curly blond hair. She remains like that to this day. :)
• Wooton has blond hair, isn't that tall, but I've never been able to come up with one weight for him. I didn't *think* of him as overweight but sometimes I picture him that way now. :anxious:
• Tom is also influenced by Bruce Day... brown hair with a bald spot and glasses. I have a hard time imagining him as tall, although he tells Eugene that he's bigger than he and also wears the same size as Hank Murray (who sounds tall to me).
• As other people have said, I pictured Jason much like the picture of Townsend Coleman in the Complete Guide. Brown-haired, taller than his dad. Other pictures I've seen of him don't match nearly so well. :)
• Unlike a lot of people, I picture Jack Allen with brown hair. It's strange but I guess I have a hard time imagining some of the major "older" characters with gray/white hair. Jack is trim and an average height.

More to come later. :)
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

ichthuz wrote:

true
I agree too. Wooton is kind of scrawny and not standing up tall. :anxious: Maybe...

My Connie, Eugene, Whit, Tom, and Bernard are all like the AIO artists have drawn them recently. :-s Sad, but my mind has been greatly influenced by the artists. :sick:
lindawn
Just visiting

Post by lindawn »

I imagine Tom, Bernard, Jason and Jack all looking like the actors who play them, according to the pics in "The Complete Guide to AIO".
rickyderocher
My posts are revolutionary

Post by rickyderocher »

Whit to me looks pretty much like he is pictured on the covers, an old man with a mustache.

Jack Alan to me looks like Wilbur from Mr. Ed. :D

I think of Harlow Doyle as a rather heavy set man with dark hair who pretty much always wears a dark grey trench coat.

Rodney Rathebone is skinny, and has bright orange hair.
AioMan
Catspaw Rocks!
Location: The Imagination Station, Whit's End, Mcallister Park, Odyssey, Ohio, United States, North America

Post by AioMan »

I picture:
Eugene------------------Drawings
Mr. Whittaker-----------Most Drawings, less fat
Tom----------------------Drawings
Bernard-----------------Drawings
Jason---------------------Townsend Colemen/Drawings mix
Connie--------------------Most Drawings
Wooton--------------------Thin, Sandy-Colored hair
Mitch----------------------Steve Burns in Complete Guide
Whit: The Best is yet to come. (from "A Prayer for George Barclay" and "Gone.....")

Eugene: Impossible! Prepositions are not words that I end sentences with! (from "Poor Loser")

Arthur Dent: Operation: Thinktank will enslave the human race. Would you like a muffin? (from "Box of Miracles")
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

Dr. Blackgaard---------Salt and pepper hair and a somewhat sharp face, but not nearly as sharp and pointed as the pictures make it out to be. His nose isn't nearly as big as the pictures, either. Very muscular (but the smooth, lean kind of muscles that swimmers have), average weight, about 6 feet tall. Blue eyes that change colour depending on his mood, getting steel blue when he's furious and dark, night-sky blue when he's in a playful, happy mood. Doesn't wear purple nearly as much as the pictures imply. :-( Actually, he prefers black or navy most of the time. Nicely kept facial hair, an almost imperceptible limp when he walks (He only uses his cane on cloudy, rainy days). Other than that, he pretty much looks like the artwork! ;-)

Jason----------- Wavy, dark brown hair, warm brown eyes, somewhat boyish face... muscular, youthful build. A lot like my youngest brother, actually. :-)

Connie-----------Shoulder-length reddish brown hair; very curly when dry, but pretty straight when wet. Friendly-looking-- I don't know how else to explain it. :-) Slender build.

Jack---------looks quite old... wispy white hair, a somewhat wrinkled face.

Whit-----------A little on the chubby side, but not as overweight as the artists portray him. Glasses, really thick white hair, and a nice white mustache. A bit like the pictures, I suppose.
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

I would say that my favorite character, Richard Maxwell, looks like, here goes my so crazy idea from just minutes ago, Daniel Radcliff(SP?) He plays HP in all the movies. Don't ask me why I think he looks like that. I just thought of that. I am crazy. Yay, me. I get to go to Academy days tomorrow for TVJA. I am so happy.
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Richard Maxwell looks a bit like Jason Whittaker, but his hair is shorter and curlier and darker and his eyes are narrower.
Elgian
Fourscore and seven

Post by Elgian »

Wow, so many different takes on Maxwell. Why am I the only one who doesn't picture him with dark hair? :anxious:
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

[quote="Elgian"]Wow, so many different takes on Maxwell. Why am I the only one who doesn't picture him with dark hair? :anxious:[/quote]

because you may or may nor appriciate him as well as we do. I love him. He is the best.
HarlowRoxMySox
Smile for the camera

Post by HarlowRoxMySox »

AIOFan11 wrote:
ichthuz wrote:

true
I agree too. Wooton is kind of scrawny and not standing up tall. :anxious: Maybe...
Yeah, I think he's more skinny as well. When he made the comment "I found I was more wide than tall" I was like, huh? :thud: You never seemed that way to me. But I can picture him slouching, too.
Do any of YOU know how to make hand shadows?

Kathrine Doyle is my dorky little sister... JK... kinda ^o^
My awsome Avatar & Sig were illustrated by a friend named Navi!
Joni_Slade
Pilgrim

Post by Joni_Slade »

richardmaxwell3 wrote:
Elgian wrote:Wow, so many different takes on Maxwell. Why am I the only one who doesn't picture him with dark hair?
because you may or may nor appriciate him as well as we do. I love him. He is the best.
*grins* Well. Maybe she likes light hair? So her appreciation manifests a different-looking Richard Maxwell? "Maxwell" is a Scottish name, which might make people picture him with lighter (or red!) hair. But in my mythology, his father is half Greek and half Costa Rican ("Maxwell" was his mother's name). If he ever somehow gets described on the show as blonde or something, I think I would cry.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

lol, I know how you feel.
Elgian
Fourscore and seven

Post by Elgian »

I might take offense. :noway: ( ;) )

Maxwell has been one of my favorite AIO characters since forever. I've never had that clear of a picture of him (or even really thought about it until recently), but I can honestly say dark hair never entered my mind. Currently in my mind, he'd be either aburn-headed or dirty-blonde. I think it's the voice to me. He just doesn't sound darked-haired, if that makes any sense.

:D
Joni_Slade
Pilgrim

Post by Joni_Slade »

He sounds dark haired to me. Actually . . . most AIO characters sound darkish haired to me. (Except, ironically, Lucy, who is known to have brown hair.) But that's one of the many amazing things about radio--we can totally have different images of the same characters, and it's okay.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

[quote="Elgian"][quote]because you may or may nor appriciate him as well as we do. I love him. He is the best.[/quote]

I might take offense. :noway: ( ;) )

Maxwell has been one of my favorite AIO characters since forever. I've never had that clear of a picture of him (or even really thought about it until recently), but I can honestly say dark hair never entered my mind. Currently in my mind, he'd be either aburn-headed or dirty-blonde. I think it's the voice to me. He just doesn't [i]sound[/i] darked-haired, if that makes any sense.

:D[/quote]

me sorry. I first I had no clue waht he looked like. It just couldn't come to me. Then I was writing something, and it came to me. But I still think it should be different. I keep thinking of HP all the time. It is strange. Also, will you forgive me?
Elgian
Fourscore and seven

Post by Elgian »

I was only joking, RM3. (Thus the wink.) Sorry if I came across as angry. :anxious:

Like Joni keeps saying, it's great that we can all have such a different mental image of the same character. \:D/