Jennie McGrady Series

The new Nancy Drew

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Jennie McGrady Series

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

http://www.patriciarushford.com/jennie.htm

Written by author Patricia Rushford, Jennie Kathleen McGrady is VERY similar to me! It's weird. :p [Same looks, height, first and middle names. . .]

Anyway, I totally love the series. It's like Nancy Drew but she's a Christian. She has a different love interest in pretty much every book though. :shame: :D

We have every book in the series. I wish there were more though.

Anyone else read these books?
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Aelwyn
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Aelwyn »

I've read this series. I don't know if I've read the whole series, but I've read a lot of them. I even own a few of them. I really like them. \:D/
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

I've sorta read a couple at the bookstore. ;) My main complaint was the romance stuff (her mom and Jennie herself), but I enjoyed the situations she was in and the tie-in with her dad. :- (Thankfully I read book 4 or whatever which has the main revelation).
Agent DeWhite
Tallying up

Post by Agent DeWhite »

I also read a couple of these. Unfortunately my source was incomplete and I wasn't able to read more than about four. ](*,)
What do you do when your nose goes on strike?
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I think I have some of the series, but I don't remember if I've read them or not. Since I grew up reading Nancy Drew, she will always be my favorite.
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Post by COWBOY OF TEXAS »

What happened to the old Nancy Drew? :anxious:

No, I have never read them or even heard of them. \:D/ / :(

-Cowboy
Click on the image, you know you want to! \:D/
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
"Alas, not even I could perform such a feat."-Trinny
Aelwyn
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Aelwyn »

COWBOY OF TEXAS wrote:What happened to the old Nancy Drew? :anxious:

-Cowboy

Nothing. She's still 18 and alive. :p Did you ever notice how Nancy always stays 18?
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Post by COWBOY OF TEXAS »

Karin wrote:

-Cowboy

Nothing. She's still 18 and alive. :p Did you ever notice how Nancy always stays 18?
No. I never noticed that. ;)

-Cowboy
Click on the image, you know you want to! \:D/
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
"Alas, not even I could perform such a feat."-Trinny
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

She must be related to Connie...

And I really like Nancy Drew, too... to be perfectly honest, from the description of the books, they sound trashier than most of the Nancy Drew mysteries I remember reading. :anxious:
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Rachael wrote:She must be related to Connie...

And I really like Nancy Drew, too... to be perfectly honest, from the description of the books, they sound trashier than most of the Nancy Drew mysteries I remember reading. :anxious:
Different eras when written. Interesting, eh? :-k
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

"Trashier" . . . from Rachael who writes . . .*never mind* O:)

They are about a Christian teen. And if you've ever read the Nancy Drew books of her and her friends in college . . . [no longer 18, by the way.] then you'd know trashy.
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Jennifer Doyle wrote:"Trashier" . . . from Rachael who writes . . .*never mind* O:)
Careful... I do see your point.. She was comparing Nancy Drew, not her own writing. :-k
Jennifer Doyle wrote:They are about a Christian teen.
Christian doesn't stop her from "hooking up" with a cute guy she sees. :o Think of book 4... I enjoyed the story... except the way she and her friend "had dibs" on the 2 hot guys by the pool.
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Chandler wrote:
Jennifer Doyle wrote:"Trashier" . . . from Rachael who writes . . .*never mind* O:)
Careful... I do see your point.. She was comparing Nancy Drew, not her own writing. :-k
:-P At least I don't sell my writing to impressionable young children. Not most of the time, anyways. And there's a big difference between writing fanfiction about a villain who is by no means supposed to be a Christian and a children's book about a Christian teenager who's supposed to be a role model for young people. I don't think anyone ever intended for Dr. Blackgaard to be anyone's role model.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

True. :-k
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

[gasp] Someone actually agrees with me? That's a first...
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

True. :-k
Oops, guess that's a second.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Karin wrote:

-Cowboy

I have noticed that. It kind of reminds me of Connie Kendall.
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

Well, trash is trash, whether about a non-Christian or a Christian. In my opinion.

And while I'm not a person who dates at all, there are tons of Christians who date a lot. And most of the time, other people think it's great. I happen not too, but that doesn't bother me about Jennie.

Are any book characters supposed to be role-models? I can't say I've modelled my behavior after any literary characters save JESUS, who is much more than that.

You are entitled to your opinions of course, I'm not saying your wrong because you can believe what you want, I just disagree.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Jennifer Doyle wrote: They are about a Christian teen. And if you've ever read the Nancy Drew books of her and her friends in college . . . [no longer 18, by the way.] then you'd know trashy.
Yeah, I read some of those Nancy Drew on Campus books. :( Not quite as stellar as the older ones. :noway:

I have read all 15 Jennie McGrady books (though not recently) and enjoyed them. "Trashy" is definitely not a word that I would associate with them! They aren't the Bobbsey twins books, but they're good, if somewhat outdate by now.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

You may not model yourself after a book character but other people might. What's more likely is that they'll gain ideas not specific models. I mean, how many people are in Jennie's situations? Not likely. Most teenaged girls are interested in guys. ;) So it's possible that moving from guy to guy can be impressed as normal or whatever by reading the books. However, that alone probably isn't going to influence someone in that direction. It'd probably be one of several factors. If you don't see a problem with that, then it's no biggie. :)