Disney trying to buy Pixar? WHAT????

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
AIO Psyche
Geniune Disney Cast Member

Disney trying to buy Pixar? WHAT????

Post by AIO Psyche »

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=12761

Can you beleive this?

Disney is in 'serious talks' to obtain Pixar. WHAT IS PIXAR THINKING????

*slaps forhead*

](*,)
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

This has actually been in the works for a while, since Pixar movies are published by disney its the big fish eat little fish thing, I imagine all the same pixar people will be there but just under the name of disney or something stupid like Wixar...
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

I tihnk this is justs so Pixar doesn't have the option of leaving. After Cars, I think, that is the last Disney/Pixar film. Pixar has wanted to get out of the relationship with Disney because they want to have the option of not doing sequals.
STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Post by STRYPER »

I think they have one or two more films under the current Disney contract...

While I do think in some regards that Pixar is crazy to not branch out and do their own stuff... keep in mind that Disney currently holds the rights to all of the beloved Pixar characters. With Pixar under Disney there is the possibility that we will have an Incredibles 2, a Toy Story 3 etc...

If they do leave Disney forever we will never see those characters again :(
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again
Me
An original

Post by Me »

Cars is the last film under the Disney contract.

Even if Pixar does split, Disney will make Toy Story 3 and 4, or so I have heard, thus destroying two awesome movies.
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Post by COWBOY OF TEXAS »

Poor Woody. :( Rest in peace.. :mecry:

Must Disney make sequels to everything? :-s

-Cowboy
Click on the image, you know you want to! \:D/
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
"Alas, not even I could perform such a feat."-Trinny
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Yes, and that's b/c I think they've kind of given up coming up with good ideas families will like.

I actually believe they are incapable of doing so (especially with animated movies) without another studio doing the actual filming, like Walden Media, Pixar, etc, and then Disney is just the distributor and gets the credit.

If Disney does buy Pixar, will it still be called Pixar?
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Post by COWBOY OF TEXAS »

I believe that it yet to be seen.

But hasn't Disney been building a new company by which they can compete with Pixar?

-Cowboy
Click on the image, you know you want to! \:D/
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
"Alas, not even I could perform such a feat."-Trinny
Top Cat
Fourscore and seven

Post by Top Cat »

Still, if Pixar breaks off, people know the name Pixar. If all Disney is worried about is getting credit, then thay have become a pretty selfish company.
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

No Mr. Incredible :( How sad. :anxious: But I sure hope that Disney doesn't buy Pixar. Disney actually needs competition, they're getting to proud.
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
AIO Psyche

Post by AIO Psyche »

Seve Jobs is rapidly becoming the most powerful person alive. Look at him;

He is CEO of Apple which provides some of the best computers available, and then there is the slight success of the iPod...........

Then, he has Pixar, which IMO, is the new Disney. I expect after several years, we will see Pixar Land the theme park.......

And then there is iTunes. Steve has made a MONUMENTAL break through with the networks by getting them to offer commercial free, high definition tv shows for $2.00. Which, IMO, is one of the biggest steps forward for media as we know it. This opens up a WHOLE new market and opertunity for obtaining media. Within the first week of offering tv shows, over 1 million shows were downloaded. And that was only week one. And now, they have DOZENS of shows available, with many many more coming. We may even see movies eventually.

So, Steve really doesn't need Disney. In actuality, Disney needs Steve. He could offer Disney so much.

It is simply amazing to watch all this unfold. I simply cannot wait to see what happens.
poWerbOy
If posts were pigs...

Post by poWerbOy »

^ Yeah we were just talking about this in school the other day in relation to our economics discussion. Steve Jobs is going to be making off really well in this deal for sure.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/P142511.asp

That article, I thought, was pretty balanced. And worth the read. And it confirmed what I've been saying for years; Disney is incapable of making a good animated film by itself anymore.

We discussed this in my computer class (we spend the first ten minutes or so talking news, and Steve Jobs has been coming up a lot lately), and there are a whole bunch of rumors flying around; among them that Steve Jobs would become CEO of Disney.

That would be a good thing, I think. I have several concerns in this whole situation; if Pixar and Disney go seperate ways, what will happen to the stories Pixar has succeeded with? Will Disney ruin them with their horrible sequels? No doubt. Will Pixar continue being successful? No doubt.

But what if Disney buys Pixar; will the heads at Disney be stupid and start telling Pixar how to do things? In my opinion, that would be a bad move on their part, b/c Pixar obviously know what they're doing. But like the writer of that article pointed out, buyers like to tell the company they acquired how to do things, and Disney has done that in the past already with Pixar (to no avail, thankfully).

But if Jobs becomes the most powerful man in Disney, then I think we'll be ok. And he will have become a powerful force in the business world, and to a scary degree. Not to mention filthy stinkin rich.

Whatever happens, it'll be interesting to watch this play itself out.
AIO Psyche

Post by AIO Psyche »

If Steve DOES become a board member of Disney, or becomes CEO of Disney, he will be the single most powerful man in media on earth. He has his own computer company, his own movies production company, his own best selling MP3 player, and then possibly the leader of Disney.

Man, what a life. I fully beleive that he is the most important person of the year. Easily.

I too cannot wait to see what will happen.
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

Here is one reason as to why Pixar is good. They use to be a part of Industrial Light and Magic, but Lucas decided to let that part of ILM go because he thought computer animation itself (or something to that effect) wouldn't be profitable. I have yet to hear from my sister who wants to intern at Pixar this summer about what she thinks. Knowing her she'll hope Pixar doesn't sell out.
map
Found

Post by map »

I have mixed feelings about this. Disney did help Pixar become a household name. On the other hand, Disney hasn't put out a good movie on it's own for a very long time! I don't think Pixar really needs Disney, except the rights to the characters in the already released movies. In my opinion the trouble with Disney is they have gotten away from what made them great - like owning ABC/ESPN. I understand companies need to deversify, but to me Disney will always be the beloved characters. I own stock in both companies, so I should be good either way. I think it would be good if Steve Jobs did go to Disney. Somebody needs to help them.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

I've been following this like a hawk, and found an article that gives a suitable update. Instead of giving you the link (b/c half of it was useless stuff about the distribution contract about to end and we all know about that) I'll just quote the important stuff.
Pixar Article wrote:LOS ANGELES, Jan. 23 - The Walt Disney Company is planning to announce as early as Tuesday the acquisition of Pixar Animation Studios in a stock transaction valued at about $7 billion, people briefed on the negotiations said Monday night.

Disney's board voted to give the chief executive, Robert A. Iger, the authority to offer the chief executive of Pixar, Steven P. Jobs, about $59 a share for the company, these people said. The price would be at a slight premium over Monday's closing of $58.27 a share, which gave Pixar a market value of about $6.93 billion.

Disney's negotiators were then expected to approach their counterparts at Pixar to reach a price, and Pixar's board could vote on the deal soon after that, these people said.

A Disney spokeswoman declined to comment; calls to Pixar were not returned.

All of the people briefed on the negotiations cautioned that the deal could fall apart at any time. "This is tricky," one said. "All of the things have to be just right."

Several crucial details were still being hammered out Monday, including the employment contracts for certain Pixar executives, among them John Lasseter, Pixar's chief creative officer and a former animator at Disney, one person said. He is expected to oversee the animation unit that would become part of Disney's filmed animation division.

The deal would combine Pixar with Disney's animation unit and give Mr. Jobs a seat on Disney's board.
Me
An original

Post by Me »

While I certainly hope the deal doesn't go through, I must look on the bright side. Eisner is gone. :D
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Me wrote:While I certainly hope the deal doesn't go through, I must look on the bright side. Eisner is gone. :D
And Iger and Jobs get along; that helps too.

I also would like Pixar to become an independent studio and get a distribution contract with someone else, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

What it also would mean is that Steve Jobs is the largest shareholder on the board. Which mean Steve Jobs would be the chairman of the board. So maybe it's not so much that Disney wants Pixar, but Jobs wants Disney.