The Giver

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
Aravis
OK

The Giver

Post by Aravis »

For everyone who wants to know, Walden Media is making a movie of The Giver. And because Walden Media is making the movie, it is going to be good. Here is the link for The Giver http://www.walden.com/web/teach/giver, and just go to www.walden.com for their other movies. The Giver is still in development, so my guess is that it will be in theaters in 2007 or 2008.
*Credit for my set goes to Kyla @ www.craftychicklet.com*
He will give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways. ~Psalm 91:11 KJV
click here to go to "The Tanglewoods!"
Andrea Meltsner
I've been working out

Post by Andrea Meltsner »

Sounds great! cant wait!
Doctor Who is Awesome

I couldn't stay away

Nerdfighter for Life!
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

OMGG! [goodness gracious]

That is awesome!

*can't wait*
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

It doesn't look half bad. :p It actually looks pretty good. It looks like it has a pretty good plot.
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
gimp80995
No way I broke the window

Post by gimp80995 »

If it's anything like the book, I'll probably like it........I loved the book......read it like 5 times.......in a row ;)

Peace Out

-Gimp
God does not call the qualified, He qualifies the called.

God, Grant us the peace that comes from honest dealings so that no fear of discovery will haunt our sleep May we inflict no pain, bring no shame, and seek no profit by another's loss.
David O
I'm memorable

Post by David O »

I read it start to finish in one afternoon... I could not put it down! I love the questions presented in this book. How fixed is reality, really in our minds? If we lived in a black and white world, how radical, how new, how unimagineable would the first experience of color, real vibrant color, be to our limited minds? Could we even comprehend, or imagine such a thing? What dimensions, what sensations, what realities may exist just below the surface of our perceptions, that we blissfully ignore each and every day? What new realities wait in our world to explode into our minds and change the way we view this world, or the one that is to come?

If they can capture some part of that in the movie, I will be a very happy young man when this is released.
Not dead yet.
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

David O wrote:I read it start to finish in one afternoon... I could not put it down!
Whoa, I did too! \:D/ It was a really intreaguing sort of man-against-the-odds type. (Frank really enjoys that type of book.) The movie looks like it'll be quite good! *waits excitedly* :D
Carolita
I'm not Gabe
Location: the small fraction of time between normal hectic life and mega hectic college

Post by Carolita »

Whoa...that is going to be an interesting movie...
Ruthie
de lah rutheh rank
de lah rutheh rank

Post by Ruthie »

The book was really thought provoking....hopefully the movie will be too!
Elf of Rivendell
random passerby elf
random passerby elf

Post by Elf of Rivendell »

Ooh...I can't wait. They'd better get it right, though. ^_^ This seems to be one of those movies that you either do spectacularly on or botch up entirely. But-- I'm really looking forward to it.
sorrowing you must go, and yet you are not without hope

sarai: rice cookerrrr
uz: 'ice coakrrrrr!!
uz: that's like the next gen shad lexoooooorrrrr
poWerbOy
If posts were pigs...

Post by poWerbOy »

YAY!! Hopefully they will pull it off just right!!

hey someone said they should make this into a movie before in the "books that should be made into movies" thread. I'm glad they really are going to do it.
Samwise
Love to love

Post by Samwise »

I read the Giver when I was about 10 and I hated the book at first. With all the things such as "releasing" I couldn't stand it. I reread it recently and I find it really interesting. I hope they make the movie good...
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

The only problem is it's hard to catch everything that the book does in the movie.
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

Samwise wrote:I read the Giver when I was about 10 and I hated the book at first. With all the things such as "releasing" I couldn't stand it. I reread it recently and I find it really interesting. I hope they make the movie good...
I hated that part too. So shocking! And how Fiona just went along with it and couldn't even tell it was wrong because she didn't have the experiences that Jonas did.

The book throws out the question, "What is the perfect life worth to you?" They threw away choice, morality, freedom, for perfection.
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Aravis
OK

Post by Aravis »

Jeff Bridges in going to be in The Giver. The source didn't say what specific role he was playing, so I'm guessing he's playing the Giver.
*Credit for my set goes to Kyla @ www.craftychicklet.com*
He will give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways. ~Psalm 91:11 KJV
click here to go to "The Tanglewoods!"
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

I despise the book with so much passion.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I’ve heard about the book but never read it myself. I just borrowed it from a friend and am going to now though because when this comes out my movie group is going to see it. Several of them are very excited for this.
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

I have been waiting for this movie for YEARS (literally)!
I honestly thought it would never happen.
I have always had an affinity for Dystopian Fiction, and the Giver is, by far, one of the most emotionally jarring of the genre.
Last edited by ~JCGJ~ on Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

I was shocked that I hadn't heard about this until just a couple of days ago. I absolutely loved this book when I was younger, so I'm really hoping that they don't mess this one up.

One of the biggest fan criticisms of the trailer so far is that Jonas' community is in color instead of being monochromatic, and I agree that it's a bit of a red flag. I also understand why they'd choose to age up the characters, though I probably wish they hadn't, but in light of all the cookie cutter teen dystopia stories that are being manufactured these days, I really hope they don't use the fad as an excuse to take a piece of genuine literature and reduce it to some sort of trashy teen blockbuster. :(