The Book Of Daniel

argh...

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
Sarah
Someone's favorite

The Book Of Daniel

Post by Sarah »

Has anyone seen the commercials for this new show? They almost make me sick.

For those of you who haven't seen any commercials it is basically about:
An Episcopalian (err, spelling?) Reverend with a very disfunctional family... He has a 16 year old drug dealing daughter, an alcoholic wife, a homosexual son, and an adopted son that's well... uh... nevermind. Did I mention that he repeatedly talks to a supposed "Jesus" figure. White robe and everything.

Now, I'm not saying that Christians and their families don't go without their share of problems and sins, but I don't exactly think that this is a proper illustration of what a Reverend's family should be like.

Your thoughts?

You can see the official website right here:
http://www.nbc.com/The_Book_Of_Daniel/

Sarah
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Sarah wrote:Has anyone seen the commercials for this new show? They almost make me sick.

For those of you who haven't seen any commercials it is basically about:
An Episcopalian (err, spelling?) Reverend with a very disfunctional family... He has a 16 year old drug dealing daughter, an alcoholic wife, a homosexual son, and an adopted son that's well... uh... nevermind. Did I mention that he repeatedly talks to a supposed "Jesus" figure. White robe and everything.

Now, I'm not saying that Christians and their families don't go without their share of problems and sins, but I don't exactly think that this is a proper illustration of what a Reverend's family should be like.

Your thoughts?

You can see the official website right here:
http://www.nbc.com/The_Book_Of_Daniel/

Sarah
I don't hold out a lot of faith for it, but the premise could be the setup for a very good story... just depends on how it is handled. And yes, it will most likely be handled very poorly. ;) I may at least give it a chance though...
Oba-rai
Blackgaard Prankster
Blackgaard Prankster

Post by Oba-rai »

I've heard it's definitely a no-see. Sick.
they may be copper,
annoying little coins! but,
they might be giants.
save your pandas: vote racecar!
Rose
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Rose »

Does anybody know why it's called the Book of Daniel? Or does it say that on the site?
Rose
With great power comes great responsibility.

It is good to praise the Lord, and make
music to your name, Yahweh Most High.
Blipadouzi
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Blipadouzi »

I've said it once and I'll say it again...

There's nothing airing on TV these days worth spending my time on...and this just proves it.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Fox News makes TV worth every penny! \:D/
Sarah
Someone's favorite

Post by Sarah »

I'll probably watch one episode so that I can say that I've seen it, and that it's dumb. Then no one can accuse me of judging it before I've seen it. ;)

Sarah
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

I won't waste a moment on this television show.

Some choice comments from the Plugged In Online Review:

Since Daniel has such a direct line to "Jesus," who often appears to him out of thin air, the priest naturally asks for advice. What he gets in return are either platitudes or benevolent expressions of tolerance. What does Jesus say about Grace selling drugs? "She'll be fine, she's a good girl." About Adam's high school sexual romps? "He's a kid, let him be a kid." About Kevin sleeping with a girl because he's too nervous to tell her he's gay? "Kids, huh!?" That counsel is a long way from the holy compassion found in the Lord's instructions to the woman caught in adultery (in John 8): "Neither do I condemn you. Go now and leave your life of sin."

So I'll sum up why the American Family Association—one of Pierce's "groups"—is trying to convince NBC affiliates not to open up The Book of Daniel. The series wants us to think of Jesus as a joke. More of a wimpy, severely seared conscience than a loving yet righteous God. It preaches that homosexuality is both genetically derived and socially proper. "It's time we stumbled into the 21st century," says Daniel. That sex before marriage should be assumed (Daniel certainly does during a premarital counseling session). And that pot is part of life—unless it's your daughter who's the one risking her future by dealing it. It also throws in sly quips .... along with profanity (Jesus' name is abused), crude comments, sexual scenes and innuendo.

Still, Quinn says he isn't "particularly worried about people having a tremendous problem with [Daniel]. And if they do," he says, "then they need to maybe look at the shallowness of what their own faith is built on if our depiction in this pilot is upsetting them."
http://www.pluggedinonline.com/thisweek ... 002484.cfm

I hope no one here wastes a second on it either. I don't think we have to pollute our minds in order to be able to see something is garbage. I hope it barely goes 1 episode.

And an blip by Michael Medved:
ANTI-RELIGIOUS ENTERTAINMENT AGENDA FOR 2006?
January 2nd 2006
"The Chronicles of Narnia" and "The Passion of the Christ" achieved overwhelming box office success by appealing to religious moviegoers, but in high profile projects in 2006 Hollywood risks offending, rather than engaging, people of faith. In Newsweek, makers of the forthcoming "The DaVinci Code" proudly declare they will do nothing to soften the controversial message of their project?that Jesus married and fathered a daughter, and the Gospels and early Christians deliberately lied. Newsweek describes the movie's villain as a Catholic bishop "whose religious zealotry appears to be matched only by his desperate hunger for power." On TV, NBC is releasing "The Book of Daniel," about a troubled Episcopal priest with martini-guzzling wife, gay son, and drug-dealing daughter. "The Passion" sparked hysterical protests because of its characterization of Judean religious authorities who died 2,000 years ago, but the entertainment establishment feels no hesitation in slurring contemporary clergy and real-world religious organizations.

Blech. I say spend our time on Narnia! And the like.
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Clodius Albinus
Smile for the camera

Post by Clodius Albinus »

Even Tom Shales from the Washington Post panned it.

"I cannot recall a series in which a greater number of characters seemed so desperately detestable -- a series with a larger population of loathsome dolts. There ought to be a worse punishment than cancellation for a show that tries this hard to be offensive and, even at that crass task, manages to fail."
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Hmmm. Okay then, maybe I won't give it a chance... :anxious:
jasodia
I'm not Gabe

Post by jasodia »

My pastor gave us a list of all the companies that were supporting The Book Of Daniel show, and asked us to ask them (if it was possible) to stop supporting the show. He had already told his Kroger store manager that he would lose a lot of business from our church and others is they kept supporting it.

my best friend is pink jeans!
"I don't pretend to be Captain Weird. I just am."
-Johnny Depp
Oba-rai
Blackgaard Prankster
Blackgaard Prankster

Post by Oba-rai »

The Top Crusader wrote:Hmmm. Okay then, maybe I won't give it a chance... :anxious:
Good idea.
they may be copper,
annoying little coins! but,
they might be giants.
save your pandas: vote racecar!
Clodius Albinus
Smile for the camera

Post by Clodius Albinus »

jasodia wrote:My pastor gave us a list of all the companies that were supporting The Book Of Daniel show, and asked us to ask them (if it was possible) to stop supporting the show. He had already told his Kroger store manager that he would lose a lot of business from our church and others is they kept supporting it.
So your church is holding a local store and its employees responsible for the decisions (or lack thereof) of the national chain. Since this little local effort won't change the course of the chain, all you're doing is punishing a local employer. Is that wise?
STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Post by STRYPER »

My parents did similar things with Burger King a long time ago. It really doesn't do anything to boycott a company that indirectly supports something wrong. Just boycott what you think is wrong if at all...
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Post by COWBOY OF TEXAS »

I've seen the adds, and that makes me want to NOT see the show. It's really bad. :-s

-Cowboy
Click on the image, you know you want to! \:D/
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
"Alas, not even I could perform such a feat."-Trinny
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

http://www.pluggedinonline.com/

Not Reading 'Book of Daniel'

Negative publicity surrounding NBC's new drama The Book of Daniel resulted in five affiliates' decision to pull the two-hour premiere on Jan. 6. But it turns out most viewers weren't really interested anyway. Daniel garnered a third-place finish in its Friday-night timeslot (averaging only 9 million total viewers). Overall, for the week, it ranked #46

---

Aw shucks. Gone already? =D> =D> =D>
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

But is third place really that bad? :-s
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

The Top Crusader wrote:But is third place really that bad? :-s
I thought it was cool that 5 of the "Affiliates" decided not to show it and only 9 million people tuned in. 9 million people won't keep the show alive.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

That's what I'm hoping for.

NBC has taken the 'we don't care what the Christians think' path that ABC took a year or two ago. I've read some interaction between Christians and NBC reps and it's pretty maddening.
Top Cat
Fourscore and seven

Post by Top Cat »

I don't think it'll last very long. There was a show that was supposed to come out a couple years ago that was anti-homeschooler, but it never even came out. I don't think this will even last a season. =D>