Connie and Mitch

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!

Will Connie and Mitch get married

Yes!
24%
No!
59%
Maybe!
18%

Total votes: 34

Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

Of course they will! Connie needs to grow up even more! I still think of her as the kid in highschool! Starting the The Mitchells as the new Barcleys...yes! Gotta happen! They need kids! After marriage of COURSE!
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Joni_Slade
Pilgrim

Post by Joni_Slade »

I don't see any reason for them to get married. I always found the Connie and Mitch relationship baffling, and thought I was the only one until I lurked here for a bit.

For me, the biggest problem was how Mitch was introduced. He was presented as Connie's Love Interest, and from then on, could be little more. (Katrina might have been introduced similarly as Eugene's; 'fraid I haven't heard "Truth, Trivia & 'Trina" in ages as I don't have that album. But if she was, she managed to transcend that in a way that Mitch never did for me.) Oh, he developed his own character, but it was in a direction that made his and Connie's relationship even weirder. What did they see in each other? Both of them became less when they were around one another. What in Mitch complemented Connie? Nothing. And what in Connie complemented Mitch? I can't think of anything. In the end, AIO handled these character differences in the best way possible, by breaking the Connie-and-Mitch item up, to the relief of many.

I'm not upset that the whole thing happened; it was probably important for Connie's development, and it involved some good episodes. I was disappointed to see Connie lapse into immaturity, and somewhat horrified when she planned on getting married so soon, and that nobody came out and told her what a bad idea it was. (Had I been her friend, I hope I would have kindly told her how being around Mitch changes her personality for the worse. I got the feeling that everyone around her sort of resigned themselves to the fact that Connie was already so internally conflicted that trying to advise her wouldn't help.) One good thing about the long, drawn-out, seemingly-never-to-end engagement of Eugene and Katrina's is that we listeners had a chance to not only get used to the idea, but to eagerly anticipate their marriage.

An episode where Mitch and Connie discuss what was wrong with their relationship might work--but only after a long time, when they have both grown up significantly, and very possibly had more mature relationships with other people. If Connie has another boyfriend later on, I think the most important thing would be to establish that character as a separate entity from her early on--someone with his own character, his own role in Odyssey, who Connie doesn't fall head-over-heels for the first time she sees him. This might be a basis for showing how a good relationship between two complete people can develop over time.

But the more pressing need for Connie, I think, is to give her some more friends. Which is not to say that she doesn't have friends, but all of them are either like several decades older than her or a decade younger. It's not so much that this is a bad thing, but that it's unbelievable for someone as socially-inclined as Connie. Doesn't she have some old high school friends who've stuck around? Isn't Cheryl McCormick the only such friend we've ever heard about? I'd like having more characters around who are Connie's age, and maybe even female. (Come to think of it, aren't Connie and Joanne like the only recurring non-kid female characters?) Of course, Eugene and Katrina are back now, and they're about Connie's age and are her friends, but being married, they're sort of in a different stage of life than she is.

Back on topic, I'm not opposed to Mitch coming back to the show somehow. But I hope that, if he does so, his appearance has nothing to do with Connie. I'd probably like him better if he could be a character (Robert Mitchell), rather than a role (Connie's ex-fiancee). And if he does encounter Connie, I believe she's developed the strength of personal character not to revert into a giggling teenager around him--again.
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

*whispers to self "that was a $20 post" *

You have some good points, but I still love them as a couple. Connie and Mitch needs each others.
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Alleycat
insert dash here

Post by Alleycat »

Dr. Watson wrote:I seriously, seriously, seriously doubt it. I think we've heard the last of Master Robert Mitchell when AIO moved him to Hungary. Connie and Mitch themselves seem to put the issue to rest in Something Blue. While they do have some stuff in common, in reality they have marked personality differences.

It would require a lot of hassle for the AIO writers to resurrect the Mitch and Connie storyline. Mitch is off in Hungary, Connie is settling back down in Odyssey, and the chance of rehashing the relationship is (hopefully) slim.

Personally, I hope AIO maintains the status quo. Their relationship was a bit of a headache for me.

Cheerio
I agree totally! :yes:
And each light that we've extinguished has brought darkness to our Land...
Upon our Nation have mercy Lord!