Tea Strainers

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Tea Strainers

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

I bought this little stainless steel ball that you use to brew loose tea, thinking it would be a little more Blackgaard-ish and finally bought some tea to go with it. It is so hard to find loose leaf tea where I live!

Anyways, I tried using the infuser ball, but a lot of the 'grinds' were falling out, so I tried to pull it out and it came apart and spilled all the tea leaves into the cup :-( I tried making a modified version of the standard open strainer using a really small, rectangular, flat cheese grater with small holes and putting the bottom half of the tea infuser on top of it and pouring hot water over it, and that seems to work better, although there are still tons of 'grinds' in my tea.

Does anyone have any experience with loose leaf tea? Any help would be much appreciated!
declinedcard
Not as new

Post by declinedcard »

There's these things you can use that are more like cloth or paper bags. My sis works at a tea shop and says they're easier than the metal mesh infusers. I wish I could remember what they're called :-k , but I think they're like close to a finger length, and about an inch to an inch and a half wide, and it's like a little long bag or pocket that you stick the tea in. Sorry I don't have more detail, but, if you ask at a tea shop, or search online, you could get info on 'em!
Whassupi???

Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

The only thing about those are that they're really hard to clean. I'll just have to pop into the Tea Room near my house-- I'm lucky enough to live five minutes away from one of the Tea Rooms in the Top %5 for my state.
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Post by COWBOY OF TEXAS »

Tea bags are the wave of the future. :reporter:

-Cowboy
Click on the image, you know you want to! \:D/
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
"Alas, not even I could perform such a feat."-Trinny
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

Rachael wrote:The only thing about those are that they're really hard to clean. I'll just have to pop into the Tea Room near my house-- I'm lucky enough to live five minutes away from one of the Tea Rooms in the Top %5 for my state.
How cool...I've never seen a Tea Room before. :sad:
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

Frank wrote:
Rachael wrote:The only thing about those are that they're really hard to clean. I'll just have to pop into the Tea Room near my house-- I'm lucky enough to live five minutes away from one of the Tea Rooms in the Top %5 for my state.
Are you joking??
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Post by COWBOY OF TEXAS »

Frank wrote:
They usually have tea rooms in big antique stores.

-Cowboy
Click on the image, you know you want to! \:D/
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
"Alas, not even I could perform such a feat."-Trinny