Memoirs Of A Geisha

Sony Pictures Presents. . .

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Memoirs Of A Geisha

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

Ok, first of all, what's a geisha?!

Wikipedia says:
"Geisha (芸者 "person of the arts") are traditional Japanese artist-entertainers. The word Geiko is also used to describe such persons. Geisha were very common in the 18th and 19th centuries, and are still in existence today, although their numbers are dwindling...

"The geisha tradition evolved from the taikomochi or hōkan, similar to court jesters. The first geisha were all male; as women began to take the role they were known as onna geisha (女芸者), or "woman artist (female form).
Strictly speaking, geisha are not prostitutes. Because they entertain men behind closed doors in an exclusive manner, there has been much speculation about the underpinnings of their profession. The confusion that surrounds this issue has been complicated by Japanese prostitutes who wish to co-opt the prestige of the geisha image, and by inaccurate depictions of geisha in Western popular culture.
I am really excited for this movie because it's got some of my favorite actresses in it! For one, Ziyi Zhang! YAY!

Anyone else?
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Larry The Pickle
If posts were pigs...
Location: An uncharted Island, thought to exist only in myth.

Post by Larry The Pickle »

Haha. Looks like yer the only one!

Except that my brother wants to see it. I think it looks boring, but he really likes china, and their culture blah blah whatever. I mean of course he knows they have a false religion and all and doesn't buy into that, but he still hopes to visit one day.
Evolution is a faith, not a science!
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

Well, it's nice that your brother is interested in China, but that doesn't necessarily mean he'll enjoy this movie :-) Geisha are from Japan.

I don't know enough about this movie yet to know if I want to see it or not. It looks like it has some breathtaking visuals, but I'll probably look it up at pluggedinonline before I see it. And even if it does look good, I'll probably rent it off of netflix.
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Post by COWBOY OF TEXAS »

Even if that is what the Wikipidia site says, I am pretty sure that a Geisha is a prostitute. :-k

-Cowboy
Click on the image, you know you want to! \:D/
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
"Alas, not even I could perform such a feat."-Trinny
map
Found

Post by map »

I saw the previews for this movie and I thought it looked pretty interesting. I'll probably wait until it comes out on dvd tho
king kong skater
Classic

Post by king kong skater »

i will propobly get it when it comes on dvd two
Larry The Pickle
If posts were pigs...
Location: An uncharted Island, thought to exist only in myth.

Post by Larry The Pickle »

Rachael wrote:Well, it's nice that your brother is interested in China, but that doesn't necessarily mean he'll enjoy this movie :-) Geisha are from Japan.

I don't know enough about this movie yet to know if I want to see it or not. It looks like it has some breathtaking visuals, but I'll probably look it up at pluggedinonline before I see it. And even if it does look good, I'll probably rent it off of netflix.
same thing...

although to tell you the truth, he DOES like Japan more than China.
Evolution is a faith, not a science!
Elf of Rivendell
random passerby elf
random passerby elf

Post by Elf of Rivendell »

Jman 009 wrote:
same thing...
Um, not really. They're pretty different.

I'm probably not watching the movie, actually. <_<
sorrowing you must go, and yet you are not without hope

sarai: rice cookerrrr
uz: 'ice coakrrrrr!!
uz: that's like the next gen shad lexoooooorrrrr
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

COWBOY OF TEXAS wrote:Even if that is what the Wikipidia site says, I am pretty sure that a Geisha is a prostitute. :-k

-Cowboy
Because America portrays it as such. The historical fact is, traditionally, they weren't.
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Anne Doyle
Green is good

Post by Anne Doyle »

I do think this movie looks pretty cool! And maybe, if I get some money here soon, I'll go and see it.
Lucy Pevensie
sn33ky hobbitses
sn33ky hobbitses

Post by Lucy Pevensie »

It kinda annoys me how a non-Japanese is attempting to create a movie like this... I mean, can't somebody who's more familiar with Japanese culture do it? >_> I'm not watching it..
Need a nice signature/avatar set? Take a look at my shop! :)
All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out. John 6:37
Lucy is my twin Laura Ingalls = l33t ~*Robin Baggins/Respectahobbit*~
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

Lucy Pevensie wrote:It kinda annoys me how a non-Japanese is attempting to create a movie like this... I mean, can't somebody who's more familiar with Japanese culture do it? >_> I'm not watching it..
Well, the same thing could be said about a number of movies. Why don't real cowboys make movies about cowboys, etc? It's called acting.
Elf of Rivendell
random passerby elf
random passerby elf

Post by Elf of Rivendell »

They probably are familiar with Japanese culture. You can't make a movie out of anything unless you're familiar with it or you do some extensive research.
sorrowing you must go, and yet you are not without hope

sarai: rice cookerrrr
uz: 'ice coakrrrrr!!
uz: that's like the next gen shad lexoooooorrrrr
Lucy Pevensie
sn33ky hobbitses
sn33ky hobbitses

Post by Lucy Pevensie »

True... But using a full Japanese cast could have been nice... :p
All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out. John 6:37
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

I know what you mean, but another thing, this is an American movie isn't it? The characters are speaking English...if it was made in Asia, I'd expect speaking in Japan and Japanese actors if they wanted to be as real as a person could get. But this is America and sometimes people won't see a movie if it's not in English. :noway:

:p
Lucy Pevensie
sn33ky hobbitses
sn33ky hobbitses

Post by Lucy Pevensie »

Well then, those people can use a full American cast to make this, while I go watch the complete Japanese one! ;)

(I'm just joking, really. :D)

True, I understand your argument. I was just getting kinda biased, I guess.
Baragon
Party Pooper

Post by Baragon »

Even though I had no interest in the movie before: I looked at the pluggedinonline review and decided to never watch the movie. ;)
Dr. Watson wrote:The main reason for the Civil War was so that rednecks can drive around with Confederate flags in their pickup trucks.
Kenric
If posts were pigs...

Post by Kenric »

Jennifer Doyle wrote: But this is America and sometimes people won't see a movie if it's not in English. :noway:
^Not neccesarily true :shame:. "Hero" was not in English and many people wanted to see it and did. It was a pretty good movie. I loved it.
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

Kenric wrote:
Jennifer Doyle wrote: But this is America and sometimes people won't see a movie if it's not in English. :noway:
^Not neccesarily true :shame:. "Hero" was not in English and many people wanted to see it and did. It was a pretty good movie. I loved it.
Actually I think the statement, "sometimes people won't see a movie if it's not in English" is totally true. I gave no percentage and I didn't say NO ONE will, I said, "sometimes".

"So don't you shake your finger at me!" < Survivor Austrailia quote.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Lucy Pevensie wrote:It kinda annoys me how a non-Japanese is attempting to create a movie like this... I mean, can't somebody who's more familiar with Japanese culture do it? >_> I'm not watching it..
Thats what I said about the Sony Pictures Godzilla, and I was right. >_<