Susan Pevensie--speculation

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Jimmy Barclay Fan
Classic

Post by Jimmy Barclay Fan »

Is the town hall around to read that debate ?
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

No the Town Hall has not been around for several months. I don't think it is coming back either.
Jimmy Barclay Fan
Classic

Post by Jimmy Barclay Fan »

then we cant refer to it.
I was interested in seeing what people said.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Elf of Rivendell wrote:In the Last Battle, Peter mentions that Susan isn't with them any longer, or something along those lines. Does that mean she will never return to Narnia--i.e. is not saved?
No, I don't think so. She couldn't at the time because she'd rejected it but it doesn't say that she's hopelessly lost.
Elf of Rivendell wrote:Or did Lewis mean something else?
I think he means that she's put away her childhood faith as "fairy tales" and convinced herself of that even though she's had some very real experiences.

To whoever said this already... I agree, Susan did seem grumpy in this first video. I never got that from the first book. It's always in "Prince Caspian" that she seems grumpy to me. :-k
Lucy Pevensie
sn33ky hobbitses
sn33ky hobbitses

Post by Lucy Pevensie »

Chandler wrote:
Elf of Rivendell wrote:In the Last Battle, Peter mentions that Susan isn't with them any longer, or something along those lines. Does that mean she will never return to Narnia--i.e. is not saved?
No, I don't think so. She couldn't at the time because she'd rejected it but it doesn't say that she's hopelessly lost.
Elf of Rivendell wrote:Or did Lewis mean something else?
I think he means that she's put away her childhood faith as "fairy tales" and convinced herself of that even though she's had some very real experiences.

To whoever said this already... I agree, Susan did seem grumpy in this first video. I never got that from the first book. It's always in "Prince Caspian" that she seems grumpy to me. :-k
Ditto.. Susan seems really grumpy in Prince Caspian. :-k

As for myself, I'm hoping that Susan WILL return to Narnia... She was a cool character.
Need a nice signature/avatar set? Take a look at my shop! :)
All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out. John 6:37
Lucy is my twin Laura Ingalls = l33t ~*Robin Baggins/Respectahobbit*~
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Sorry to revive an old topic but I have come to the conclusion that Susan wasnt on the train...so she didnt die, so shes still in the shadowlands and when she dies she will go to the Narnia that dosent end. w00t!
STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Post by STRYPER »

STRYPER wrote:Sorry to revive an old topic but I have come to the conclusion that Susan wasnt on the train...so she didnt die, so shes still in the shadowlands and when she dies she will go to the Narnia that dosent end. w00t!
I agree that she wasn't on the train and didn't die (I had always thought that) but I believe that Lewis made it clear that she was no longer a friend of Narnia and she isn't a "Christian," or "Aslanian" or what ever you want to call it ;)
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Jimmy Barclay wrote:then we cant refer to it.
I was interested in seeing what people said.
STRYPER was referring to the debating faction here that is called The Town Hall. :)

You can go to the faction list and request membership if you'd still like to read the debate. :)
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

interestingly enough, I was just thinking about calling my NaNoWriMo novel 'Susan's Telegram' or something like that. Some kind of fanfic about how Susan returns to Aslan after she gets the telegram about her family, but she still has to do stuff on earth while she waits to go to the neverending Narnia.

I hold true to the 'Once a King or Queen of Narnia, always a King of Queen of Narnia' argument. Of course, I'm still undecided on the whole eternal security debate, but isn't it logical to argue that even if someone did lose their Christianity, they could get it back?

Anyways, I'll have to see if my desire to write a Narnia fanfic holds out till November. I've never done Narnia fanfiction before.
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

Laura Ingalls wrote:
You can go to the faction list and request membership if you'd still like to read the debate. :)
It might "pend" forever though . . . *sighs*
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

Lucy Pevensie wrote:Well, I don't agree that Christians can "back-slide" and become non-Christians again or something like that, and if I remember correctly, Aslan said something about it which made me convinced that Susan WOULD return to Narnia- OH yeah.

Something like, "Once a King or Queen in Narnia, always a King or Queen in Narnia"... And Susan was a Queen, so I think she does return to Narnia.
Actually I think the line is "once a king or queen in Narnia, always a King or Queen" I don't beleive Narnia is added into the second half there.. though I could be wrong...but I'm pretty sure that's how it reads because it is something that always stuck out to me.

EDIT Yup I just checked the book.. Narnia is not inthe second clause there. I wonder if that is significant,, and if so how and why?
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

I just finished the book, and while the first it's said, Narnia is dropped the second time, at the very end of the book the Professor says, 'Once a king in Narnia, always a King in Narnia'.

So I don't think it really means anything other than that C.S. Lewis didn't feel like typing out an extra two words in that one case.
snowflake
Found

Post by snowflake »

Elf of Rivendell wrote:In the Last Battle, Peter mentions that Susan isn't with them any longer, or something along those lines. Does that mean she will never return to Narnia--i.e. is not saved? Or did Lewis mean something else? I have my opinions concerning this (which I'll post later), but I'm interested in what yours are.

What do you think?
I've heard lots of people say different things. I always thought it meant she 'fell away' into sin and other such things but it is true that she didn't die witht the rest so she couldn't go to with them! My Dad said it could be that Lewis thought you could lose your salvation, though I don not know that for sure, that was just a speculation. Others have said they thought it was just her time in life when she was getting too carried away with those things (though I don't know if that's what I think or not.) He obviously did NOT give us a book about the rest of Susan's life so it is up to our imaginations or someone to write it. I always imagined it bad but lateley I've thought of how she could just go on with life, waitiing and finally get to go to be with them in their 'heavan' O:)

Thanks Lucy Pevensie for my awsome avatar and signature!!!

Yes, I know it's no longer Christmas but right after I change it it will be again so just get over it...
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

^^ Which makes one wonder, would she go to Narnia Heaven or London Heaven?
STRYPER

Post by STRYPER »

According to the Last Battle, they are interconnected.
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

To a certain extent, the way I understood it. They could kind of see their parents in the distance, and their parents could kind of see them, but they couldn't get to each other. Or am I wrong?
Lucy Pevensie
sn33ky hobbitses
sn33ky hobbitses

Post by Lucy Pevensie »

If I remember correctly, yes they could get to eachother... But I'm not sure... I'll find out when I reread the series. o:)
Need a nice signature/avatar set? Take a look at my shop! :)
All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out. John 6:37
Lucy is my twin Laura Ingalls = l33t ~*Robin Baggins/Respectahobbit*~
STRYPER

Post by STRYPER »

Tumnus explains to the four children that they are all connected (just a further demonstration of how belief in Aslan and belief in Jesus are considered the same)
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Tinuviel
Found
Location: Here or there- but isn't here just there without the t??

Post by Tinuviel »

Hm... Back to Susan- The ending does bug me. I would agree with those who hold to the 'Once a king or queen in narnia, always a king or queen in Narnia' arguement. I'm not sure where Lewis stood on the whole losing your salvation issue, but his books seem to contradict themselves in the case of Susan.

Ah yes, Susan did seem whiny, grumpy, etc in the movie- that was how I'd imagined her in Prince Caspian- but not LW&W
Only one life twill soon be past, only what's done for Christ twill last;
And when I am dying how happy I'll be, if the lamp of my life has been burnt out for Thee!
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

EXACTLY. She was like that in Prince Caspian, but not TLTWATW. And that's one of the things I like best about Prince Caspian-- how she was acting so different and grumpy, and then Aslan forgave her and breathed on her. I think it touched me so much because a lot of time I'm the one who's grumpy and frightened on adventures.