Blue Like Jazz

any opinions???

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
tatertotaggie
Gold Member

Blue Like Jazz

Post by tatertotaggie »

So, not that long ago, a book called Blue Like Jazz written by Don Miller became very popular with the Christian groups at my university, and in my group, Campus Crusade for Christ. I wondered if anyone has read it and what their opinions were. Personally, I think some of it is okay, but I also feel like the guy's trying to come off as a not so Christian Christian, if you get my point. Like someone who, trying to be cool, doesn't want to look too Christian, I guess. It has become so huge, and students are crazy over it, like people had been over that Prayer of Jabez book. So, if you've read it or heard about it, any thoughts?
"People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; never throw out anyone." - Audrey Hepburn

Just a Test

/Users/tatyanafrancis/Desktop/Travel Posters/Air-Afrique--C10035768.jpeg
H34TH4R
Someone's favorite

Post by H34TH4R »

sorry i havent read it!!
Mandy Straussberg
Animatronic

Post by Mandy Straussberg »

All the pastors in my church are reading it, but I haven't personally read it and haven't heard any of their opinions. But I've got so much to read now, even considering reading that is far, far in the future.

Mandy
Music is my life. God's given me gifts, and I like to use them.
Spirit now lead me, take me where You will
I long to adore You, reveal Yourself to me
My cry is to please You, so have Your way in me
Completely to bring glory to Your Name
poWerbOy
If posts were pigs...

Post by poWerbOy »

alot of my friends have read it and I have read parts of it, it seems really interesting and i plan to read it eventually. maybe i'll get it for christmas.
Joni_Slade
Pilgrim

Post by Joni_Slade »

I haven't read the book, but I've heard a lot about it--mainly, like you said, it seems to be trying to show you don't have to be a "traditional" Christian to be a Christian. I imagine the book has some good points. I tried reading an excerpt awhile ago and the author struck me as a little too full of himself, but maybe I was just reading things into it.

Now and then I visit the author's church. It's a neat church, but so big I haven't actually seen the guy (that I know of).
tatertotaggie
Gold Member

Post by tatertotaggie »

Yeah, I got that impression too, though I forgot to put it down.
Imago Dei does sound like a cool place to visit, but unfortunately I am several states away.
"People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; never throw out anyone." - Audrey Hepburn

Just a Test

/Users/tatyanafrancis/Desktop/Travel Posters/Air-Afrique--C10035768.jpeg
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

I've never even heard of the book. :oops: It sure sounds interesting though... like whether or not you agree with it, it might make you step back and look at some things. :-k