Ted Dekker

Are YOU part of The Circle?

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Carolita
I'm not Gabe
Location: the small fraction of time between normal hectic life and mega hectic college

Post by Carolita »

Frank wrote:
Carolita wrote: Frank: don't just Ted Dekker by simply one book. I didn't feel 'fulfilled' after reading Blink, either. But I like his books. Pretty much all of them. If, for no other reason, because they make me think; about God and about love. And I like books that make me think. \:D/
Thanks, Carolita. :hug: I saw Thr3e at the library the other day...perhaps I shall go pick it up... :D

*thinks Top's advice is awful too* :-
Uh-oh. Thr3e? Um....let me just say that most people who read that one first (out of my experience, anyway) don't like it. *laughs* But, hey...read away! ;)
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

It's the first *I* read, and *I* liked it. ;)

But then, my advice is awful. :(
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

Yes, I can finally resurrect this with my completion of Thr3e! It was my second taste of Dekker having already read House. (It seems like Dekker had more influence than Peretti in the writing of House. It also seems that it was a way for Dekker to get his name out.) I enjoyed Thr3e; it was quite the page-turner. I want to hate the ending because it was not at all what I was expecting, but it works. I suppose I grudgingly approve. I liked it better than the spookier House. While both were gripping, House's ending dissatisfied me more due to my not being able to tie up as many ends.

I'll surely be on the lookout for more Dekker books. They make you think.

Btw, my first exposure to Dekker's name was this thread.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Yet another ToO success story! \:D/ The ToO led you to discover Ted Dekker! I'm glad that you enjoyed what you read recently! :D
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

I kinda Miss Dekker's oldschool stuff..like the Martyr's song and Blessed books..

Now it all seems to be like Peretti only scarier. :(

Don't get me wrong, Irealy like it, but I liekd the old stuff too. And I have read al lof his books to date. :)
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Eeyore wrote:I kinda Miss Dekker's oldschool stuff..like the Martyr's song and Blessed books..

Now it all seems to be like Peretti only scarier. :(

Don't get me wrong, Irealy like it, but I liekd the old stuff too. And I have read al lof his books to date. :)
I really liked his older stuff too! I liked the Blessed ones better than "Obsessed," for example. Not that his newer stuff is bad, because I like it too, but it seemed more...something. I don't know exactly what to call it. Like they had more heart or something. But that could just be my personal preferences coming out. :anxious:
Bmuntz
Former Mayor

Post by Bmuntz »

I like some of his new stuff better because it is darker and I enjoy the dark side. But like Itaque said I would have liked it better if house wrapped things up better. I think they didn't wrap things up on purpose to make people think more about it.

I really enjoy his old stuff and every time I pick up a Dekker book I now I am in for a good read.
Ruthie
de lah rutheh rank
de lah rutheh rank

Post by Ruthie »

*how have I not seem this thread before????? :-s *

The first Deker book I read was a book he co-wrote with Frank Peretti "House". Then I read "Blink"- "Thr3e" - "Obsessed" and finally "Black" (I'm waiting for "Red" to come in for me at the library).

I enjoy his books very much! (I got "Black" completed in 2 days..... :anxious:)

But then again- I enjoy books of that type, and I know some peopel just don't... :shame:

;)
Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

I've read them all now, and I think House was my least favorite. I didn't NOT like it, but it wasn't as meaningful to me. I LOVE his other books, though. I can't wait for the next one!
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
Applesauce
I'm memorable

Post by Applesauce »

I would rank them in this order (1 being the best):
8. House
7. Obsessed
6. Blink
5. Thunder of Heaven
4. Heaven's Wager
3. Three
2. Showdown
1. Circle Trilogy (Black, Red, White)

I still have to read When Heaven Weeps and A Man Called Blessed (but I'm currently about 70 pages into Blessed Child). I can't wait for his next book (Saint) to come out this fall!
Smushed and Spicy! \:D/

I really need to change my avatar...
Arwen

Post by Arwen »

I don't know if I could rank his books. Each one is so much better than most books there are nowadays, and it's hard to compare them to each other. I think you are really going to like When Heaven Weeps, Applesauce. It's a pretty amazing look at life and death.
Carolita wrote:Uh-oh. Thr3e? Um....let me just say that most people who read that one first (out of my experience, anyway) don't like it. *laughs* But, hey...read away! ;)
That was my first one also, and I wasn't sure if I liked it at first, the ending made me sad, but in the end I decided that I had liked the book.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Applesauce
I'm memorable

Post by Applesauce »

Thr3e was my first Dekker book, and I liked it!

Yeah, I wanted to read When Heaven Weeps next, but it wasn't in stock at Family Christian Stores, so I picked up Blessed Child instead.
Smushed and Spicy! \:D/

I really need to change my avatar...
Arwen

Post by Arwen »

That one (along with the sequel) was pretty good, but I find that I don't like the co-authored books as much. Again, though, they're still better books than most others I've read.
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

BUMP!!

Ok I'm reading Saint right now...and is anyone else kinda weirded out by Ted's passion for weirdly connecting all of his books now...?
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Yeah it's weird.. I've read pretty much everything of his I can find.. ;) I didn't enjoy Showdown or House.. Saint is pretty good.
...I hate marquees.
Ruthie
de lah rutheh rank
de lah rutheh rank

Post by Ruthie »

I just finished reading Saint--the end was definitely a begining for some sort of sequel.

It was okay- not his best though. :noway:

His next book is titled "Skin"--we'll see how that is...
Lord_Kappa
A great mapmaker

Post by Lord_Kappa »

I haven't read any of his works. I shall keep my eyes open for Red, White, and Black.
“Among the attributes of God, although they are all equal, mercy shines with even more brilliancy than justice.” —Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

By the way, Margaret Sanger, founder of Planned Parenthood, was a racist.
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

Lord_Kappaw wrote:I haven't read any of his works. I shall keep my eyes open for Red, White, and Black.
ACK!!! no! It's Black, Red, and White, and you MUST read them in order or you will DIE!!!!!!!

It also helps to read them before reading Showdown or Saint - especially Showdown.

J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Lol, I think you'd survive if you read them in the wrong order.. ;) But yeah, read them in the right order. :noway:
...I hate marquees.
Lord_Kappa
A great mapmaker

Post by Lord_Kappa »

JFpaw wrote:
Lord_Kappaw wrote:I haven't read any of his works. I shall keep my eyes open for Red, White, and Black.
ACK!!! no! It's Black, Red, and White, and you MUST read them in order or you will DIE!!!!!!!
Whoa! Ok... I'll read them in that order. For a long time I thought that is was just one book though...
“Among the attributes of God, although they are all equal, mercy shines with even more brilliancy than justice.” —Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

By the way, Margaret Sanger, founder of Planned Parenthood, was a racist.