Ted Dekker

Are YOU part of The Circle?

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Ted Dekker

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Anyone read the books of Ted Dekker? I've technically never read any of his books, although I have listened to unabridged audiobooks of Black, Red, White, and Thr3e. Apparently, some production company (whose name escapes me at the moment) will be shooting the movie Thr3e beginning sometime in July or August.
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Shad Lexer
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Shad Lexer »

I haven't.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

they look cool especially thr3e but ive never heard of them
Bmuntz
Former Mayor

Post by Bmuntz »

I really like Ted Dekker's books. And thats is so cool about the movie! I think if done right it it will be a great movie. I always thought that Black red and White would make great movies. I've read most of his books and there all great. There exicting have lots a plot twist and good thems.

What is your favorite book by him?
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Well, I must say the Circle Trilogy was one of his best works, by far. So many intriguing allegories and analogies throughout the book . . . I'd really like to see the books, Black, Red, and White, put to film, but I also recognize it would never do the Trilogy any justice. Sometimes books are best left to the imagination . . . however, I think Thr3e is one of those books that has the potential to be better in the form of a film as compared to the book. But that's just my opinion. ::shrug::
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I really loved Thr3e... I'm still reading Black.
Bmuntz
Former Mayor

Post by Bmuntz »

Has anybody got his new book. It's called Obsessed and is a great book. It's set in 1968 I think and has flashbacks to 1942. It's about Nazi's trying to find these Stones of David and this one guy. It's to hard to explain becasue of all the plot turns. But It's a great book. One of the best he's done.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Bmuntz wrote:Has anybody got his new book. It's called Obsessed and is a great book. It's set in 1968 I think and has flashbacks to 1942. It's about Nazi's trying to find these Stones of David and this one guy. It's to hard to explain becasue of all the plot turns. But It's a great book. One of the best he's done.
Well, I'm glad you're not going to attempt to explain it because I haven't even read it yet. :D My dad plans on purchasing the unabridged audiobook for Obsessed, so I won't be able to comment until later . . .

I'd like to listen to the Circle Trilogy again this summer. You catch so much more the second time around, as you can recognize the significance of more things. Especially certain things in the first book. \:D/
Sunday
Popsicle kid

Post by Sunday »

Blink was probably my favorite. That other series he has, with the three books...oh, why can't I think of the names...!?!?! is excellent also. Heaven's wager was one of the books.

Three kinda ticked me off because the ending caught me off guard.

I started to read Black but couldn't quite get into it...strange because Dekker is one of my favorite authors.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Black may not have immediately grabbed your attention, Sunday, but the more you read, the more you want to know what's going on! That's the way that I felt, anyway.

I've read almost all of Ted Dekker's books, and enjoyed them all. They aren't like the traditional fluff that dominates the Christian fiction book market. (I love the romantic fluffy books, too, but this is great in a different way). I know that I should always be looking for a twist in his books, but he still always catches me by surprise.

I don't think that Blessed Child and A Man Called Blessed have been mentioned yet. They're two of his earlier books that he co-wrote with Bill Bright. I enjoyed them both a lot, and found them, like all Dekker's books, to give me plenty to think about afterwards.

Has anybody seen the new cover for Blink? I liked the old cover better, but the content is still great!

I haven't read Obsessed yet, but I own it, so I will read it soon! Based on what a few people have said here, it sounds like I'm mising out by not having read it yet!
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

I've heard so many people say what great books Dekker writes that I'm really getting interested in the idea of reading them. :) What genre would you say his books are?
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Thr3e at least, is somewhat of a "thriller", I'd say.

I'm only a little over 100 pages into Black... and it has some of the same elements, but overall a different feel I think.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

The Circle Trilogy, comprised of Black, Red, and White, would almost be considered a Biblical allegory, although not everything directly correlates. I'd place it in the Christian fiction section. ;)
Bmuntz
Former Mayor

Post by Bmuntz »

I read A Man Called Blessed but don't Blessed Child. I just couldn't get intrested in it. I really liked a A Man Called Blessed though. If I'm thinking of the right one it's a lot like Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I would say that A Man Called Blessed is only like Raiders of the Lost Ark in the sense that they both have action and the Ark of the Covenant. The approaches are totally different, and the themes and the way that the Ark is treated are quite different. Don't read it to look for Indy, because you won't find him. However, you will find ideas that will make you think and question how much you actually trust God and have faith in him, and you will find a great story.

One thing that stood out for me from this book is that we will do what we really believe in. No matter how many times that I say that it is important to read my Bible, for example, if I do not do so on a regular basis, then I am communicating that I don't actually believe that reading my Bible is important. If I know intellectually that something is true, but fail to act, I don't really know it. While I cannot say that my actions have changed significantly based on this new insight, I know that they should. ;) I guess I'm still working on that part, but I found it a part of the book that took me beyond the action and into the spiritual/Christian realm.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Could you compare Dekker's works to those of Frank Peretti? :-k
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

I think they have some similarities...
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

The Top Crusader wrote:I think they have some similarities...
Like what? :)
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

I haven't read enough of Frank Peretti's works to give a qualified answer, but I can say Dekker and Peretti have ventured into the 'modern mystery' genre. :-k Their styles are both unique and intriguing . . . and not necessarily your 'average mystery.'
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Okay. :) If anyone else has something to add without giving away any of the stories I’d appreciate it. :pray: