Ted Dekker

Are YOU part of The Circle?

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Applesauce
I'm memorable

Post by Applesauce »

J-man wrote:Lol, I think you'd survive if you read them in the wrong order.. ;) But yeah, read them in the right order. :noway:
Well, everyone I've talked to who read Showdown and Saint before reading the Circle Trilogy absolutely hated both of those books, so I'd say it's definitely better to read them in their intended order. The messages of the books don't change, but the plot is more interesting.

I was kind of disappointed by Saint, however. It felt like a big repeat of all his other books. Nothing "new" to get excited about, and no real plot-twists. Everything that happened I had seen coming. The overall plot of the story was rather shallow and one-dimensional.

I finished reading "A Man Called Blessed" just this morning, and I thought it was really good. It was quite the page-turner, and had an interesting theme. Now the only Dekker novel I haven't read is When Heaven Weeps. And I'm looking forward to Skin, but I really think that Dekker's newer books don't compare to his older ones.
Smushed and Spicy! \:D/

I really need to change my avatar...
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

When Heaven Weeps is one of my alltime favorite books. Not only is it a great story and great writing, but it really impacted my faith as well.

I finished Saint. I thought it was alright, but I really do miss Dekkers older books like Applepaw said. I liekd the style and stories them much better.
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

He's trying to write too much too fast and they don't have the same care going into them that they once did, I think.
MDB17
Lucid and deductive

Post by MDB17 »

He has kinda fallen into the same story themes like good old frank did with monster and oath
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

MDB17 wrote:He has kinda fallen into the same story themes like good old frank did with monster and oath
Yeah, and I used to read James Byron Huggins but he started doing the same thing. :mecry:
MDB17
Lucid and deductive

Post by MDB17 »

i just finished blessed child and i am going to read house next
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies
It’s my birthday

Post by J-man »

Applepaw wrote:
J-man wrote:Lol, I think you'd survive if you read them in the wrong order.. ;) But yeah, read them in the right order. :noway:
Well, everyone I've talked to who read Showdown and Saint before reading the Circle Trilogy absolutely hated both of those books, so I'd say it's definitely better to read them in their intended order. The messages of the books don't change, but the plot is more interesting.

I was kind of disappointed by Saint, however. It felt like a big repeat of all his other books. Nothing "new" to get excited about, and no real plot-twists. Everything that happened I had seen coming. The overall plot of the story was rather shallow and one-dimensional.

I finished reading "A Man Called Blessed" just this morning, and I thought it was really good. It was quite the page-turner, and had an interesting theme. Now the only Dekker novel I haven't read is When Heaven Weeps. And I'm looking forward to Skin, but I really think that Dekker's newer books don't compare to his older ones.
I read the Circle trilogy before showdown, and I still didn't like it. I read Saint before Showdown, and liked it though..
...I hate marquees.
Oba-rai
Blackgaard Prankster
Blackgaard Prankster

Post by Oba-rai »

I don't know about anyone else, but I enjoy Dekker's works regardless of the quality others perceive. I find his literary works both thought provoking and intriguing, and I think his works are quite interesting. ^_^
they may be copper,
annoying little coins! but,
they might be giants.
save your pandas: vote racecar!
Impossible is Nothing
Tallying up

Post by Impossible is Nothing »

Trent DeWhite wrote:Anyone read the books of Ted Dekker? I've technically never read any of his books, although I have listened to unabridged audiobooks of Black, Red, White, and Thr3e. Apparently, some production company (whose name escapes me at the moment) will be shooting the movie Thr3e beginning sometime in July or August.
I have just started reading Black ..... very intereseting.
Movieman
Wants David O Piano
Wants David O Piano

Post by Movieman »

"Fox Faith" will be filming it. They're a new division of 20th Century Fox that is geared toward Christian-type movies.

I love Ted Dekker books! It's such a tough decision to choose a favorite though. I'd have to choose "Showdown" and "Saint" (in that order; the stories in both books sort of go together). I've heard he might be coming to my school to speak, so if that happens I'll be sure to share it with this thread, lol.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

movieman85 wrote:"Fox Faith" will be filming it. They're a new division of 20th Century Fox that is geared toward Christian-type movies.
They will be filming what? Black?! :shock:

In case anyone is interested, Ted Dekker will be interviewed on the 700 Club tomorrow morning. \:D/

The 700 Club airs on ABC Family at 9 am CST. You also can see it numerous times during the day on other channels that carry CBN programming.
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies
It’s my birthday

Post by J-man »

Anyone read Skin yet? I have it on hold, but I'm like 68 on the list. Generally my library is fast in getting books to you though.
Last edited by J-man on Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...I hate marquees.
Lord_Kappa
A great mapmaker

Post by Lord_Kappa »

After reading the Circle trilogy I was upset with Dekker's work. It definitely wasn't all that I've been told it is.

He did have some interesting theological questions, but didn't take enough time to explore them, glazed many over in the quick action sequences, and really didn't have very many of them.

I didn't expect any theology in his books, so that was a pleasant and thought provoking surprise. I did expect an exciting and well developed work of fiction that took many unseen twists and turns and gave you fully pleasurable time when you read it.

I didn't get all of this from these three books. Black was everything I wanted it to be. Red was very deep, but somewhat bland at parts. White was close to awful.

His idea of jumping from person to person, from world to world, from plot to plot, was very exciting in black, and worked very well. It was distracting in Red and dissapointed me. It was just confusing in White and left me annoyed more than anything.

The end of the series completely negated any positive thing I gained from the books. White negated a lot, but particularly the very end; I just felt like I missed what happened. The conclusion wasn't built up to, it wasn't foreshadowed, and it wasn't reviewed afterwards. I would have liked any of those things.

I hope that Dekker's other books are better, but I wasn't impressed and these books definitely don't make me want to go read more of his works.
“Among the attributes of God, although they are all equal, mercy shines with even more brilliancy than justice.” —Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

By the way, Margaret Sanger, founder of Planned Parenthood, was a racist.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Received via email:

Due to the tragedy yesterday at Virginia Tech, Ted's interview was not shown today on the The 700 Club. We will let you know once it has been rescheduled.
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

Lord_Kappa wrote:After reading the Circle trilogy I was upset with Dekker's work. It definitely wasn't all that I've been told it is.

He did have some interesting theological questions, but didn't take enough time to explore them, glazed many over in the quick action sequences, and really didn't have very many of them.

I didn't expect any theology in his books, so that was a pleasant and thought provoking surprise. I did expect an exciting and well developed work of fiction that took many unseen twists and turns and gave you fully pleasurable time when you read it.

I didn't get all of this from these three books. Black was everything I wanted it to be. Red was very deep, but somewhat bland at parts. White was close to awful.

His idea of jumping from person to person, from world to world, from plot to plot, was very exciting in black, and worked very well. It was distracting in Red and dissapointed me. It was just confusing in White and left me annoyed more than anything.

The end of the series completely negated any positive thing I gained from the books. White negated a lot, but particularly the very end; I just felt like I missed what happened. The conclusion wasn't built up to, it wasn't foreshadowed, and it wasn't reviewed afterwards. I would have liked any of those things.

I hope that Dekker's other books are better, but I wasn't impressed and these books definitely don't make me want to go read more of his works.
Try reading the MArtyr's song series. Particularly When Heaven Weeps.

J-man, I read Skion in Barnes and Noble last week. Pretty good, but definatly written to get more mainstream readers in...nothing objectionable per se, just lacking the abundance of Christ mentioned in his other earlier books.
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

In case anyone is interested, Ted Dekker will be interviewed on the 700 Club tomorrow morning. \:D/

The 700 Club airs on ABC Family at 9 am CST. You also can see it numerous times during the day on other channels that carry CBN programming.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

BOOO!!! I refuse to watch him until he grows back his facial hair. :noway:
Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

I'm reading Skin now. Good so far...

I'm still waiting to see Thr3e at some point...
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
Applesauce
I'm memorable

Post by Applesauce »

I'm about halfway through Skin. It's very intriguing. I think I'm gonna like it. My only complaint is that so far is that it reminds me a lot of House...

.....and Saint......

..........and Showdown......

:|
Smushed and Spicy! \:D/

I really need to change my avatar...
Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

Yeah, I thought so too...but I think I liked Skin better. Though it wasn't as deep as his older books, I think it was better than Saint and Showdown and House.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless