Ted Dekker

Are YOU part of The Circle?

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

*dances around in glee* Yay Skin came in on hold, now I need to go to the library.. \:D/
...I hate marquees.
Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

I think you'll like it...
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

I did like it.. :anxious: It's one of those books that you hate when you're halfway into it, because you DON'T HAVE A CLUE WHAT'S GOING ON!! Like you know what's happening, but you have no idea why.. The cleared it up, although it was starting to feel like it was impossible to get out of.. ](*,) Ted Dekker's stuff just gets weirder and weirder.. But I still liked it. What's with linking all his books together though? :-s The game definitely was linked to the circle trilogy..

Speaking of the circle trilogy, he's coming out with 6 new circle books.. the first two are going to be simultaneously released in February 2008.. O:)
...I hate marquees.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I think he needs to slow down, or hire a co-author or something... his talent is starting to slack, and I can only assume its due to the massive amount that he writes... :anxious:
cubsmith08
OK

Post by cubsmith08 »

i LOVED house that dekker wrote with peretti! i thought it was one of the most awesome books EVER!!! did you know that its being made into a movie??

i'm just started reading BLACK, but i haven't gotten very far into it yet. i've read thr3e, and REALLY enjoyed it! :D
Waluigi Freak 99
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Waluigi Freak 99 »

Thr3e was a very good book, and the first by Ted Dekker that I read, although I understand that the movie could've been better. I've also read House, which was also good, although I would've liked an explanation as to why the furniture came to life and people were bleeding black smoke. I just bought Showdown today and hope to purchase Skin sometime soon.
Everything written in this post is false.
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

I just finished Showdown, and it was weeeeeird but okay overall. I didn't enjoy the process of reading the book like I did with Blink and Thr3e; I was mainly reading to discover the outcome. Besides Marsuvees Black's entrance into the town of Paradise in the beginning, the Paradise setting somewhat bored me. I was pleased with the monastery setting as I got my taste of a semi-utopia. Once I started getting to the catches and plot twists, I found the book more enjoyable. I liked that the whole storyline bent my mind, really made me think. The worm gel still puzzles me. Out of House, Thr3e, Black, Red, White, Blink, and Showdown, Showdown may be my least favorite. I'm glad I read it and got to experience the neat plot, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you are already a Dekker fan.

Waluigi Freak 99, I would've liked explanations for a lot of goings-on in House too. [semi-spoiler]I think the point was give a depiction of each person's sins in general, not to say the maggots or smoke stood for such and such a sin.[/semi-spoiler] House did leave a lot of loose ends, but I think it was meant to be that way. The reading process was great and exciting, and I loved it right after I read it. However, now I wish there was more to it.

I've read the short comments here about Skin as well as several short descriptions. Why did he make the plot so similar to House? A crazed killer twistedly makes a game in which a small group of people has to decide on a person to kill in the group. I'm sure Skin is an exciting read, but I was expecting an original idea. As Top commented, maybe Dekker should slow down. However, according to Dekker's website, Skin is a New York Times Bestseller, Dekker's first work to garner the title. Bravo.

House, Thr3e, Black, Red, White, Blink, Showdown,... What should be next on my Dekker list? Any suggestions?
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

When HEaven weeps. That or the Blessed child/man called blessed books. His old stuff is bar far his best stuff.
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

JesusFreak777 wrote:When HEaven weeps. That or the Blessed child/man called blessed books. His old stuff is bar far his best stuff.
I have to agree! I haven't read his latest books because they just don't appeal to me the way the older ones do. Blessed Child and A Man Called Blessed were co-written by Ted Dekker and Bill Bright, so they might be under Bright if you're looking for them at a library. :) Like Sarah, I highly recommend them! \:D/
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

Catspaw wrote:
JesusFreak777 wrote:When HEaven weeps. That or the Blessed child/man called blessed books. His old stuff is bar far his best stuff.
I have to agree! I haven't read his latest books because they just don't appeal to me the way the older ones do. Blessed Child and A Man Called Blessed were co-written by Ted Dekker and Bill Bright, so they might be under Bright if you're looking for them at a library. :) Like Sarah, I highly recommend them! \:D/
Great, I will probably go for the Blesseds next. :) I recently discovered Dekker at the libraries around here, and they only have his newer books. :(
redcanadian87
I'm a teapot

Post by redcanadian87 »

Oh boy!
I am HUGE Ted Dekker fan. I was introduced to his books while I was on a missions trip. Two of my friends were reading his books: one had Thr3e and the other had Obsessed. I borrowed Thr3e on the plane home, read it in four hours, and instantly fell in love with Ted's style.

Once I started reading, I was addicted. At one point last summer I was so desperate to read his works that I did the unthinkable: I read Showdown before the Circle. *Gasp*

If anyone hasn't read his books yet and wants to start, please please do read the Circle before you read Showdown, or Saint. they just make so much more sense that way!

I have yet to read some of his older works. Those, and House and Skin are priorities on my list of summer reading.

~Blessings!
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

Blessed Child is my new favorite Dekker book! :D Judging from the kingdom of heaven message, the book was geared more towards Christians; I appreciated that. Also, I thoroughly enjoyed the process of reading. Thanks for the suggestions, JF and Catspaw. I may just become an old Dekker fan.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm glad that you enjoyed the book, Itaque! I think that was one of his earliest books. If you liked that one, then you'll definitely like the sequel, "A Man Called Blessed," also co-written with Bill Bright. \:D/
alwayz_darknes_never_dawn
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by alwayz_darknes_never_dawn »

I'm a HUGE DeKkie! I've read/own Thr3e, Black, Red, White, Blink, Showdown, House, Saint, and Skin.

Something that people who were saying bad things about House,Skin,or Showdown, need to realize, is that those storyline all tie into the Circle trilogy, and one giant story arc is being created, it was started with with The Circle trilogy, the true storyline started with Showdown and has gone through House,Saint,and Skin.

I enjoyed the Thr3e movie immensely, I went and saw it in theaters twice, first movie I've ever seen in theaters twice. House will be out in October and I can't wait!

I'm a member of the Forest Guard, which is the uber-elite faction of the Circle. I got a Saint T-shirt for doing stuff to promote Saint before it came out.
"How Can The Darkness Feel So Wrong?" - Evanescence

www.christiangoth.com - One of my many homes away from home on the internet.

Christian and Goth all in one, I'm a terrific combination!
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Heh, I'm late in getting back to this thread. ;)
alwayz_darknes_never_dawn wrote: Something that people who were saying bad things about House,Skin,or Showdown, need to realize, is that those storyline all tie into the Circle trilogy, and one giant story arc is being created, it was started with with The Circle trilogy, the true storyline started with Showdown and has gone through House,Saint,and Skin.
The giant story arc doesn't bother me... its how poorly written his work has become. O:)
I enjoyed the Thr3e movie immensely, I went and saw it in theaters twice, first movie I've ever seen in theaters twice. House will be out in October and I can't wait!
You either... haven't seen many movies, or have very, very... unique taste in films.
I'm a member of the Forest Guard, which is the uber-elite faction of the Circle. I got a Saint T-shirt for doing stuff to promote Saint before it came out.
I was around there in the earlier days, but the place become practically a Ted Dekker worshipping cult... it was just crazy... so I left. :noway:
hubcap
new and improved danny
new and improved danny

Post by hubcap »

AHH! Ted Dekker is one of my favorite authors! (And yes...I am part of the Circle... :anxious: really, I am. O:) ) My favorites have to be thr3e and obsessed. The movie based on thr3e is amazing!! I saw it when it first came out this past winter. It was...wow... \:D/
Do you believe in the couch?
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Which hooligan bumped this incredibly awesome thread??

Hey, Blink is supposedly being made into a movie... which would be fantastic considering it's the best book Dekker has written to date. Of course, as with all Christian films, I'm always a bit wary as to how well the story will come across on the big screen. But I'm definitely looking forward to the film's release... perhaps I should pick up a copy of the re-write, "Blink of an Eye."
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Yeah, I have learned to just not trust Christian films in general, sadly. :(

I really enjoyed the book Thr3e, but, bleah, I just can't like the movie. :noway:
Oba-rai
Blackgaard Prankster
Blackgaard Prankster

Post by Oba-rai »

Since I last posted here, I read Showdown and Saint! Gahh, I fell in love with Dekker all over again! Brother has read Skin, says it's awesome.

I love the fact that all the evil guys' last names are always 'Black', 'White', or 'Red'. ;) Sterling Red, Marsuvees Black, and that guy.
Can't remember his first name now.
Auugh.
they may be copper,
annoying little coins! but,
they might be giants.
save your pandas: vote racecar!
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Barsidious White. ;)
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!