Tape Albums vs. CD Albums

What do you own?

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!

What version of AIO albums do you typically buy?

The Tape Collections
21%
The CD Collections
74%
Do Not Buy
6%

Total votes: 34

Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Tape Albums vs. CD Albums

Post by Shadowpaw »

I was talking with another fan about tape albums vs. CD albums today. For years I refused to give up my habit of buying the tape collections. I just didn't want to change the uniformity of my albums and thought that the tapes sounded fine, so why not? But after getting the CD version of Battle Lines as a gift, my whole outlooked changed... the CD's were FAR superior to the tapes and I wish I had not been so stubborn :).

Is there anyone else here who is still a diehard tape collector?
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

Well, I like the tapes a lot, since we only have a tape player in our car, and I like to listen to AIO in the car. The majority of my collection is tapes. However, I've gotten to the point where I don't really care, and even almost prefer CDs. I do have 6 albums on CD.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Have all of them in CD and tape format now (won 1000$ in a contest) but i am mostly a diehard tape fan scince my parents car only has tape and I didnt have an ipod till recently
jollyholiday
I'm a teapot

Post by jollyholiday »

CDs where CD albums are available and tapes when only tapes are available. I've been converting the old albums to CD when the Gold Edition Re-issues come out. We never listen to the CDs though, we rip the audio to MP3 and simply store the discs. 2 full albums easily fit onto 1 MP3 disc to listen to in the car.

-jolly
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

We used to purchase the CD albums, as we currently have albums 17, and 19-28 on CD. Several years ago, we received several tape albums from friends who stopped listening to AIO. I think we got six or seven albums, ranging between albums 7 and 16. Although we didn't purchase albums 29-43, we have all episodes on our hard drive, recorded off of Oneplace. Since we don't even bother putting the albums on CD, I'm pretty sure this doesn't infringe upon any copyrights. I hope. 8-[
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
gimp80995
No way I broke the window

Post by gimp80995 »

And where exactly is the option for "both".......I buy some CD albums, some tape and then there are the "doubbles" where I have an album in both CD AND tape.

Peace Out

-Gimp
God does not call the qualified, He qualifies the called.

God, Grant us the peace that comes from honest dealings so that no fear of discovery will haunt our sleep May we inflict no pain, bring no shame, and seek no profit by another's loss.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

I still get the tapes. For me, it's a force of habit; besides, I have every episode at my fingertips here on the computer.

-Jonathan
pianokitty
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by pianokitty »

at the beginnning i got the tapes [cause we either didnt know bout the CDS..or they werent around..either way] so i didnt really want to have a half & half collection..
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

the one i have is on cd.
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

Well....considering we only have two tape players (one around the whole house, and the other in the car), I have Cd's. The only tapes I have are of old albums. I hope to get some more Gold Audio soon.
Carrie Ingalls
An original

Post by Carrie Ingalls »

Currently my family has all 42 on tape. Our car dose not have a CD player. When I have my own place I may end up getting them on CD but I'll have to think about it. There are pros and cons to both options.

~OrigamiKid
In the darkness, my thugs silently protect the girls from sketchy Bostonians
Thirteen is a prime number. I hate prime numbers. ~Trent DeWhite
OrigamiKid= Is seen working with square pieces of imported paper. ~Sarai
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

I prefer tapes because I can listen to them whenever I want and I can fast forward/rewind whenever I want to. I have a couple of cd albums and would take them on trips with me, but whenever the car was stopped the ep would to. It is very difficult to pick up where you left off. usually had to go all the way to the beginning. UGH ](*,)
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I have a mixture of both some of my collection is cassette and some of it is CD. I prefer CD because those are what I like to listen to in my truck. Plus, with CD I can put episodes on my iPod. I can go either way.
Bmuntz
Former Mayor

Post by Bmuntz »

Now my family buys CDs but for a long time we got tape.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I still have a lot more on tape, but a few years ago my family started getting CDs instead. We only have the first couple Gold Audio sets, though I plan to get more in the future. There are a few sets where we have both the CDs and the tapes. I like the CDs, but I still often refer to my "Odyssey tapes" whether they are tapes or CDs. Old habits die hard, I guess. :headphones:
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

I insisted on tapes for years... until my mom bought me CD's when Countermoves came out. When I realized the many benefits this brought I felt stupid for holding out all those years. ](*,) I now have duplicate tape/CD albums for #17-36. I wish I'd switched a lot sooner because those tapes are only getting older and wearing out. When I heard the Gold albums were coming out I was delighted because I can get my old shows in better quality. Since they've been having so many problems with the albums though I haven't gotten any yet hoping they'll resolve all those issues. =;
Jessicado
Love to love

Post by Jessicado »

That would drive me nuts if my CD player started at the beginning everytime I started my car!!!! It would make me want to listen to tapes too.

As it is--CD's! I'm converting my old tapes to CD's as the Gold series come out. Sometimes I kinda miss the tapes though.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

jessicado wrote:That would drive me nuts if my CD player started at the beginning everytime I started my car!!!! It would make me want to listen to tapes too.
That's the one drawback of CD's... like if you need to change players or something you can lose your spot more easily than a tape. It's no problem in our car though because the spot is held for us when we turn off the car. I just have to convince my parents not to hit the eject button. ](*,)
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

Catspaw wrote:I still have a lot more on tape, but a few years ago my family started getting CDs instead. We only have the first couple Gold Audio sets, though I plan to get more in the future. There are a few sets where we have both the CDs and the tapes. I like the CDs, but I still often refer to my "Odyssey tapes" whether they are tapes or CDs. Old habits die hard, I guess. :headphones:
Ditto. All of my Odyssey tapes. :lol:
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

I have a habit of calling them "Odyssey tapes" as well. :) Somehow "tape" seems to have been substituted for "show" somewhere along the line. :lol: