Fav Musical Piece

Those wonderful little music clips that add so much to Odyssey

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Fav Musical Piece

Post by STRYPER »

I thought it would be cool to start a thread about people's favorite musical segments in AIO. Most of them are written by John Campbell but not all.

My favorite of all time would have to be in Waylaid in the Windy City right after:

"Blast it, Whittaker's disappeared!!"

cool music

Chris:
What happened to Whit?"
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again
AIO Psyche
Geniune Disney Cast Member

Post by AIO Psyche »

I REALLY like the old theme alot. The one used in albums like 'Twists and Turns', 'The Search For Whit', and other classic albums. The new theme feels very 'flahy' and not as homey or 'small townish'.

Also, in the final ep of 'Darkness Before Dawn', when Regis says, "Goodbye Jack Allen!" and hits the button, the following music is REALLY dramatic and cool.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

All the music from all 11 episodes of DBD is tops. And many of the older musical cues and themes (no, I'm not going to be more specific)
FluteBoy
Gold Member

Post by FluteBoy »

Yeah, I have always thought John Campbell was a genius in scoring a lot of the Odyssey music, especially some of the "epic" soundtracks he created for the BIG story arcs. Plus he's great at the real subtle emotional scenes, too. Understated piano, etc. If the guy hasn't been tapped for television shows and major motion pictures, he should be. He could easily be the next John Williams/James Horner/Jerry Goldsmith, etc.

Zac
"The Orthodox Church is evangelical, but not Protestant. It is orthodox, but not Jewish. It is catholic, but not Roman. It isn't non-denominational – it is pre-denominational. It has believed, taught, preserved, defended and died for the Faith of the Apostles since the Day of Pentecost 2000 years ago."
Sonuna
ion cannon ready

Post by Sonuna »

DBD had really great music. Especially in The Time Has Come... all-time favorite piece in the IS scene.
More recently, Prisoners of Fear trilogy had very good music and sound design in general.
"Sonuna" Taranimak ("Sonuna" Sharkquill) has been content lately. She admired own very fine Bed recently. She talked with a parent recently. She talked with a friend recently. She had a good meal recently. She admired a fine tastefully-arranged Desk recently.
She is a citizen of The United States of America. She is a member of The State of Minnesota. She is a member of The Town of Odyssey.
"Sonuna" Taranimak likes Bauxite, Copper, Green jade, the color navy, cloaks, ballistas, cats for their aloofness and hydras for their seven heads. When possible, she prefers to consume Dr Pepper and ramen.
She lives at a relaxed pace. She tends to avoid crowds. She has a fertile imagination. She is completely disorganized. She is very distant and reserved. She tends not to openly express emotions. She needs caffeine to get through the working day.
STRYPER

Post by STRYPER »

FluteBoy wrote:Yeah, I have always thought John Campbell was a genius in scoring a lot of the Odyssey music, especially some of the "epic" soundtracks he created for the BIG story arcs. Plus he's great at the real subtle emotional scenes, too. Understated piano, etc. If the guy hasn't been tapped for television shows and major motion pictures, he should be. He could easily be the next John Williams/James Horner/Jerry Goldsmith, etc.

Zac
Yeah, I think he could be but I don't think he ever tried. It just wasn't what God wanted him to do (thank God because we get him!!!)
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Kenric
If posts were pigs...

Post by Kenric »

The Prisoners of Fear score was great. It really made me feel like it was set in Africa. It was so....safari-ish.
STRYPER

Post by STRYPER »

I really liked the electric guitar in Plan B.

It's too cool for words \:D/
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

What a great thread! \:D/ I don't think the music in AIO gets talked about nearly enough! I LOVE studying the cues... which ones are used and how they're made! I like most of them too! :inlove:
Insight wrote:The Prisoners of Fear score was great. It really made me feel like it was set in Africa. It was so....safari-ish.
I thought those cues were exceptionally good. =D> I've heard many other cues during my lifetime that were meant to imitate Africa/jungle sounds but the AIO ones really stood out to me.
Kris Doyle
Still standing tall

Post by Kris Doyle »

I like the music during the rescue scene on the "Leap of Faith" episode. You know the scene I'm talking about? The one where Jessica almost drowns trying to save that baby goat, and Mr. Mulligan risks his life to save her. The tense music really fit the mood of the scene. Also (and I don't know if this was Mr. Campbell's idea or a sound designer's) I like how the music actually stops every time the characters are heard under water! That really gives me the feeling of being 'into' the scene--the music is so much a part of it, so when the music is interrupted, it sort of draws me into how desperate the characters are. And then the way the music calmed down but was still somber after he rescued Jessica--that goes perfectly with the feel of the scene: she's safe now, but is still afraid he'll let her go. :boohoo:

I love that ep because of the rich symbolism (intentional or unintentional) of Jesus giving His life for us!
God bless you, in Jesus' name!!!! :D
"Then Peter said unto them, 'Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of your sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.'" (Acts 2:38)
Visit the website of my home church: http://www.freshanointingupc.org
Angel Bob
insert dash here

Post by Angel Bob »

Wow...I have way too many favorites. :-)

I must say, being a fan of jazz/big band music, I really enjoyed the background music in The Triangle. The music that played during the "elevator" scene and the scene where Jack reads the letter to Jenny is so awesome and very well done.

As for quieter music, The Pact has to be my all-time favorite. I love listening to the "painting montage" scene over and over again - it is such a rich experience and makes me feel like I'm there. Also, the music that plays during the last scene (also in Inside the Studio when Hal Smith was discussed) is great.

John Campbell's "action" music is awesome. The background music for "intense" scenes (especially in the Novacom episodes) is very well done - like the part in Collision Course where Connie is trying to decide whether to accept the file from AREM, or the heart-pounding sections in Exit before the Imagination Station is destroyed. I really wish they'd release an AIO soundtrack with all that stuff!!

There are also other cues that have really stuck in my mind - like the part in The Great Wishy Woz II where Dotty first steps into the little road, or many of the "fun-sounding" cues in Do or Diet ("I think it's gonna kill us instead," etc.).

The music in AIO just doesn't get enough credit. Kudos to John Campbell!

nn
Kenric
If posts were pigs...

Post by Kenric »

noname wrote:John Campbell's "action" music is awesome. The background music for "intense" scenes (especially in the Novacom episodes) is very well done - like the part in Collision Course where Connie is trying to decide whether to accept the file from AREM, or the heart-pounding sections in Exit before the Imagination Station is destroyed. I really wish they'd release an AIO soundtrack with all that stuff!!
Ditto that!! I loved all that stuff and they SHOULD release a soundtrack. One of my secret wishes is that people in the REAL world would make a soundtrack with great commercial music. YES, I'm a fan :P. I don't care much for elevator music, however...
STRYPER

Post by STRYPER »

I was just thinking about how much I love the music at the end of Real Time. You know, when Whit and Brian are counting down their doom :D
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Kris Doyle
Still standing tall

Post by Kris Doyle »

Yeah, STRYPER. That music really captures the tension of the moment. I also really like the music at the end of "Waylaid in the Windy City" (when Dr. Blackgaard and Agent Phillips have just discovered that Whit and Richard had erased the top-secret computer to keep them from getting the information, and Dr. Blackgaard claims he's not finished with Whit by a long shot).
God bless you, in Jesus' name!!!! :D
"Then Peter said unto them, 'Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of your sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.'" (Acts 2:38)
Visit the website of my home church: http://www.freshanointingupc.org