Movies

in other languages

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Movies

Post by Evil Chick »

Yesterday, we had this guy over, and my dad wanted to watch a movie with him. They decided to watch Star Wars (Episode IV). Since I love Star Wars, I went up to watch it with them. However, after about 30 minutes, I had to leave. They were watching it in German. I couldn't stand it anymore! I absolutely hate watching movies in German! The voices never fit to the characters, they totally change the script, the emotions with which the lines are read are totally different, and, well, it's just a totally different movie! Now, for the Germans that might be ok, since they don't know any better, but for me, who has seen the movie in English, it's awful! :mad: :insane:

So, anyway, have any of you ever watched movies in different languages? Do you agree with me, or not?
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
Elrohir
I'm memorable

Post by Elrohir »

I haven't watched any english movies in other languages but I've watched some anime movies in Japanese. It's really interesting and I was able to pick up a few words.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

In my grade 8 or 9 French class we watched Star Wars episode IV in French, though there was one random line in English. This was years before I actually watched it in English, so I had nothing to compare it to. Some others in the class found the conversion fairly funny, in that "this is really bad" kind of way.
Me
An original

Post by Me »

I've seen POTC in German, and it isn't nearly as funny.
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

Me wrote:I've seen POTC in German, and it isn't nearly as funny.
Yeah, that's the problem. A lot of jokes are just not translatable, so it loses a lot. I haven't seen POTC in German, although I might watch it in German one of these days... Who knows?
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Well, I saw "Das Boot" but that is supposed to be in German so that doesn't really count... otherwise I've seen a number of Japanese-to-English movies, as well as original Japanese... and wow... sometimes they dub them over fine, sometimes they completely rewrite the movie. Some even to the extent of re-arranging and cutting scenes, adding new scenes, etc... practically 2 different movies in some cases.

EDIT: Though I haven't litereally seen the films in German, I've seen German posters, etc... they have a strange preocupation with calling Godzilla "Frankenstein"... :-s Godzilla VS the Smog Monster ended up as Frankenstein and the great Satan or something weird like that... a number of the titles are quite amusing (I recall Frankenstein's Demon Conquers the Devil Fish) though off the top of my head that is all I recall... I will have to look more up later, maybe find some posters to amuse you all.
Mandy Straussberg
Animatronic

Post by Mandy Straussberg »

I watched part of Walk to Remember in French... but I don't speak much French. I would watch a lot more movies in Spanish, but the majority of movies I watch aren't dubbed in Spanish, just subtitles. It's depressing. But what I have watched in Spanish is really funny.

Mandy
Music is my life. God's given me gifts, and I like to use them.
Spirit now lead me, take me where You will
I long to adore You, reveal Yourself to me
My cry is to please You, so have Your way in me
Completely to bring glory to Your Name
STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Post by STRYPER »

I've seen parts of some movies in different langauges (just because I can with DVD's now) but I've never sat through a whole movie. I find it really cool at first, especially if I know the movie foward and backwards because then I can start to pick out what certain words mean. But after a while it gets really old and boring and I turn it back to english (or better: the commentary!)
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

If Evil Chick would like to translate the full titles, it would be appreciated. ;)

Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

Sure! :D (I love being appreciated! ;))

1: Frankenstein and the Monsters from the Sea

2: Frankenstein's heck Brood

3: Frankenstein's Fight Against the Devil Monsters
Trinarius
If posts were pigs...

Post by Trinarius »

I've seen Life is Beautiful in Italian. :D
-Josh

Trinarius is back. Kind of.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Wow, those titles are so much like their American and Japanese counterparts... :anxious:
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

Evil Chick wrote:Yesterday, we had this guy over, and my dad wanted to watch a movie with him. They decided to watch Star Wars (Episode IV). Since I love Star Wars, I went up to watch it with them. However, after about 30 minutes, I had to leave. They were watching it in German. I couldn't stand it anymore! I absolutely hate watching movies in German! The voices never fit to the characters, they totally change the script, the emotions with which the lines are read are totally different, and, well, it's just a totally different movie! Now, for the Germans that might be ok, since they don't know any better, but for me, who has seen the movie in English, it's awful! :mad: :insane:

So, anyway, have any of you ever watched movies in different languages? Do you agree with me, or not?
dude! I know EXACTLY which movie you are talkin about. I have lost count of how many times I watched that in German. UGH! the ONLY good voice was C3PO's cause it was done by the same actor. We would sit in German and make fun iof it every time. GAH! the memories :sick:
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

JesusFreak777 wrote:dude! I know EXACTLY which movie you are talkin about. I have lost count of how many times I watched that in German. UGH! the ONLY good voice was C3PO's cause it was done by the same actor. We would sit in German and make fun iof it every time. GAH! the memories :sick:
Except that without the British accent, C3PO also sounds dumb... :(
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Trinarius wrote:I've seen Life is Beautiful in Italian. :D
Oh, yeah, so did I! Thanks for the reminder, Josh! :D I saw it a few years ago with English subtitles.

I saw a different movie in some other langauage, too...maybe French? I can't remember what it was called, but it also had subtitles. Some woman was a servant for these people because something bad happened, and even though they were told she was a good cook, they had her doing menial household chores while they made terrible food, and I think in the end she received an inheritance or something and made a really nice meal for them all and they didn't appreciate it at all. I think it was supposed to work on some kind of allegorical Christian level.

If anybody has any clue what movie I'm talking about, plese let me know! Now it's bothering me that I can't remember what it was called! I think a female French name may have been in the title...Babette, maybe? :-k
STRYPER

Post by STRYPER »

The movie you are referring to is, apropriately enough: Babette's Feast :D
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

STRYPER wrote:The movie you are referring to is, apropriately enough: Babette's Feast :D
Ahhh! That's it! Thanks so much, STRYPER! \:D/ You're the bestest! ;)
STRYPER

Post by STRYPER »

:D
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Post by COWBOY OF TEXAS »

When I first saw the topic I immediately thought of the Passion of the Christ, but I now realize that is not what you meant.

-Cowboy
Click on the image, you know you want to! \:D/
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
"Alas, not even I could perform such a feat."-Trinny
Carrie Ingalls
An original

Post by Carrie Ingalls »

When we were in Costa Rica there was a TV at the house where we were staying and there was one movie in English. So we didn't end up watching any movies in other languages. But sometimes we watch soccer on the Spanish station. But I hate movies that are dubbed ("Singing in the Rain" is awful dubbed)

~OrigamiKid
In the darkness, my thugs silently protect the girls from sketchy Bostonians
Thirteen is a prime number. I hate prime numbers. ~Trent DeWhite
OrigamiKid= Is seen working with square pieces of imported paper. ~Sarai