The Polar Express

Seen the movie or read the book?

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
map
Found

The Polar Express

Post by map »

Has anyone seen the movie? I read the book to my son at night. We really enjoy it.

I'm planning on purchasing the video on 11/22, but I'm not sure how good it is. Has anyone seen it? Is it worth purchasing? Thanks
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I have only seen bits and pieces of it. I thought it looked very good. I really wanted to see it when it came out in theaters but I never had the chance. I am planning on buying it next week. :D
STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Post by STRYPER »

AHEM *clears throat and starts a little STRYPER rant*

I actually was quite disappointed with Polar Express. My family was anticipating it for months prior to the release and we all went to see it opening weekend. This movie had the makings and looks of an instant classic; one of those movies that it just doesn't feel like Christmas until you see it again. We were all ready to be blown away... but... we weren't.

Far from it actually. Oh, the graphics and overall production were pretty good. Tom Hanks did a great job and the animators using that new technology made the first half hour extremely cool (regardless of how lacking the plot was). But after a while, you got used to the graphics and had to turn your attention to more important things: like dialogue, acting, storyline and other little details that make a movie.

They stunk

I was still holding out, still waiting for a great climax to save the movie: something that I would remember forever. I got one but not the one I figured. Thousands of elves (not Tolkien elves but the little elves, like north pole elves) were jumping up and down in anticipation. They all looked towards a door: a huge door at the base of gigantic mansion. They were cheering and chanting when all of sudden, it opened.

Out stepped Santa Clause and from then on out, I lost my stomach. The elves went nuts, the whooped and hollered, jumping up and down like Santa was…well… their savior really. Then they started to worship him :shock: They all starting singing “Santa Clause is coming to town” with a similar tones as I have envisioned heaven to be like. I can’t remember if they bowed down to Santa but I think they did. Whether they did or not, it really didn’t make any difference. Their worship had the same effect.

I sat in the theater realizing that Satan didn’t have to try and reach kids through R rated movies. He has Santa. One false god is all he needs to work on. Santa has already replaced Jesus as the true meaning of Christmas so Satan’s work has been successful for decades.

I’m sure most of you just skipped over all of that but for those that are interested, I do not recommend the movie and plan on never seeing it again.
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again
map
Found

Post by map »

Thanks for the heads up! You're right about santa replacing Jesus on Christmas. You move the n in santa and you get satan. Anyway, you make a very good point. I think I'll rent before buying, or I think the rest of my family is buying it, so I'll borrow theirs before I let something potentially harmful in my house. It's so easy to let the wrong messages in our houses these days. We get so immune to things.

Thanks for the heads up!
Baragon
Party Pooper

Post by Baragon »

Being the odd one out, I thought the film was cute.

I wasn't all that excited about seeing it, though, as I don't get too excited about movies... However, we always go see a Christmas film right before Christmas, so that's the one we picked. Anyway, I liked it, and didn't expect the film to be perfect in ways of Santa. We're all pretty used to the tale of Santa and obviously that probably won't change; I don't expect it to change, at least.

I know, I'm pessimistic. ;)
Dr. Watson wrote:The main reason for the Civil War was so that rednecks can drive around with Confederate flags in their pickup trucks.
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

I hadn't heard the story since I was in grade school. Since the story is written by a guy in Grand Rapids, MI it was a Christmas tradition. Here's a couple of Christian movie review sites that talk about the movie. http://www.christiananswers.net/spotlig ... press.html and http://www.pluggedinonline.com/movies/m ... 001960.cfm

Even though there have been good reviews of the movie I'm kind of hesitant to see the movie because I like the story so much.
WindowWasher
I've been here a bit

Post by WindowWasher »

I'm going to rent it for my daughter.
Sarah
Someone's favorite

Post by Sarah »

Sarah's review...

Name of the movie: The Polar Express
Stars:Image
Rating: G
Review:

This movie starts out briefly talking about a young boy (Daryl Sabara) who no longer believes in Santa. Or, he's not sure at least. When The Polar Express pulls up to his front door, and the conductor (Tom Hanks) tells him it's going to the North Pole, he's confused. However, he decides to get on the train. Little does he know what adventure awaits him on that train. In the near future lies dancing and singing waiters, golden tickets, making new friends, glacier gulch, the northern lights, and much more. Not to mention meeting a very special person.

While they talked a lot about the Christmas "spirit", what the "true" meaning of Christmas is, what the apparent symbols are of Christmas (they didn't mention Christ once), etc. It was still an enjoyable movie, and if you read into some of the lines enough, you'll catch some hidden meanings. The makers of the movie may or may not have meant to have these hidden meanings, but I found that if I read into them just a little bit, they seemed to have a bit of a Christian spin.

With a quote like "Sometimes the most real things in this world are the things we can't see." I was able to think of it as a Christian message, whether the writers meant it as that or not.

Some parts may be a little bit creepy for the younger viewers (think "marianettes"), and even I got a little bit queasy (yes, queasy) with some of the roller-coaster like scenes.

Over all, this movie was enjoyable. Even if you don't believe in Santa (heh), I'd hope that you can still enjoy this movie as much as I did. (*cough* Of course, I don't believe in santa... but I wanted to after I watched this movie...) I have read the book, and it was very good as well. If you decide to read the book, why don't you pick up the Bible as well, and refresh your memory of the true begining of Christmas?

Yay... My first movie review! \:D/

Haha,
Sarah
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

Even though Sarah's Review is helpful--something about the animation in that movie just annoys me. And so, I don't really plan on seeing it (though I'll most probably end up seeining it.)

BC
map
Found

Post by map »

Well, I caved in and bought the movie.

Most of it is very enjoyable. I really didn't like the elves and how they acted, but it had a pretty good message other than that. I have to agree with Stryper on how the elves go nuts - overboard city.

It does hint at Christian message, but not too much.

Overall, not a bad movie or purchase
Sarah
Someone's favorite

Post by Sarah »

The BC wrote:Even though Sarah's Review is helpful--something about the animation in that movie just annoys me. And so, I don't really plan on seeing it (though I'll most probably end up seeining it.)

BC
Yeah, I have to agree with you on the animation. It annoyed me a lot throughout the movie. Some things would look good, but then you'd look at the people, and they'd just seem... so... Not good. :P Not to mention their extremely freaky looking eyes.

Sarah
Baragon
Party Pooper

Post by Baragon »

Sarah wrote:With a quote like "Sometimes the most real things in this world are the things we can't see." I was able to think of it as a Christian message, whether the writers meant it as that or not.
Actually, what came to mind upon hearing that comment in the movie was the famous quote from Francis P. Church "The most real things in the world are those that neither children nor men can see." I'm not sure if the movie meant to allude to that quote, or what, but the quite fits the plot of the movie quote well... But since the boy got to see Santa, doesn't that mean he's not too real? ;)

As for the elves, well, yeah, they're going overboard because it is Santa, of course. He's a hero because he gives gifts to children all over the world and, of course, such a person is going to be considered a hero, even if he doesn't exist. ;) I don't, however, believe that they go to the extent of "worshipping" him. I watched the film again the other night and looked for this after reading STRYPER's post a while back, and I noted that they swayed their arms back and forth when in the North Pole town square (or whatever you desire to call it), but it was because of the song playing on the record player...("Santa Clause is Coming to Town"). Sort of like dancing. Not out of "worship," I don't believe. And the version was just basically a slowed down version... I've heard a few of the slowed down versions, I believe, but I prefer the more upbeat versions. Not that I listen to such Christmas music... ;)
Dr. Watson wrote:The main reason for the Civil War was so that rednecks can drive around with Confederate flags in their pickup trucks.
Iverkid
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Iverkid »

i have read the book and would like to see the movie.

Iverkid/Cronosan
Pray for Sri Lanka.
Aravis
OK

Post by Aravis »

I have read the book many times, and my family saw the movie when it came out. I think the movie is not too close with the book, partly though because they had to make it long. I do not especially reccomend the movie for younger children around the ages of 7 and younger. I have a 6 year old brother, and he was basically scared to death through half of the movie. I also thought that some parts of it were wierd, such as that ghost-man. I would not mind watching it again, but it is not my favorite movie.
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

I'm going to see it in about a week or so. Well my sisters are going to see it I might just do something else. hmm
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
Iverkid
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Iverkid »

i thought the movie was all around pretty funny

Iverkid
Pray for Sri Lanka.
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Post by COWBOY OF TEXAS »

I haven't read the book or seen the movie, but I will keep STRYPER's post in mind, as well as the others if I do seen it.

-Cowboy
Click on the image, you know you want to! \:D/
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
"Alas, not even I could perform such a feat."-Trinny
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

I just saw it, it was okay. Not the best theme but okay.
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
Carrie Ingalls
An original

Post by Carrie Ingalls »

I read the book once when I was baby-sitting. There are lots of books like more.

~OrigamiKid
In the darkness, my thugs silently protect the girls from sketchy Bostonians
Thirteen is a prime number. I hate prime numbers. ~Trent DeWhite
OrigamiKid= Is seen working with square pieces of imported paper. ~Sarai
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

My family watched it last night...I guess it's okay...it teaches you to believe in something...even if it's not real. :duh: I thought it was kinda sappy too...too many tender moments that wouldn't be so touching in real life...and what's with that ghost/hobo guy? :-s