Professor Snape

****SPOILERS FOR BOOK 6****

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Iverkid
Catspaw Rocks!

Professor Snape

Post by Iverkid »

i am a big HarryPotter fan an would like to discuss some ideas, with other people who have read the books, about professor snape. he is just a very mysterious character to me. i can not understand him. my theory though is that he is only pretending to be working for voldemort but he is actually working foor himself. eventually he will be the one to betray voldemort in the hopes that he can have all the power cause he seems to be a very powerful wizard. the reason i think that is because he always seems to do things for his own good and not for others. like in the fifth book he stops voldemort from getting the prophecy by calling the order of the phoenix to harry's aid. i don't understand why he would have done that if he was working for voldemort.
so i would just like anyone's views on this. thanx.
Iverkid
Pray for Sri Lanka.
jollyholiday
I'm a teapot

Post by jollyholiday »

Snape is good. I think he is truly aligned with the Order of the Pheonix. His murdering Dumbledore was a staged event and Dumbledore really lives.

or

...Dumbledore is really dead...and if that is the case, I think that his murder at the hands of Snape was an event planned by the Order of the Pheonix and Dumbledore chose to sacrifice himself in that way to keep Snape convincingly in the heart of Voldemort's camp only to reveal that he is truly with the Order at a later more critical moment. That's my guess anyway.

-jolly
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

I'm leaning toward Snape being neither good nor bad, but rather looking out for himself. I am in the process of writing an editorial using what I've learned in Communication theory to maybe get a better picture of him.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I think Dumbledore is dead. Now whether or not Snape actually killed him or not is a hard guess. I am probably wrong about this but I think that he really did kill Dumbledore. He had perfect motive, he's never seemed to like Harry, always seemed to go out of his way to make things difficult for Harry and his friends. Plus, I also think that Snape hated Dumbledore and wanted him dead. Dumbledore was a threat to Snape because he always protected Harry and helped him and his friends whenever he could.
Last edited by Laurie on Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

yeah but I read an editorial and it seems to make sense that Snape was playing both sides not really taking an ultimate stand (which would explain it if he's the cowered Voldy talked about in GoF). By killing Dumbledore, Dumbledore was forcing Snape to take sides.
map
Found

Post by map »

The great part is that nothing is ever as it seems. That said, I do believe Dumbledore is dead and Snape is good. I do believe it was planned. Dumbledore knew what was going on all the time, so I could have had time to plan what looked like a double cross. This way Snape will be in a position to help Harry when the great battle to end all battles takes place.
Iverkid
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Iverkid »

map wrote:The great part is that nothing is ever as it seems. That said, I do believe Dumbledore is dead and Snape is good. I do believe it was planned. Dumbledore knew what was going on all the time, so I could have had time to plan what looked like a double cross. This way Snape will be in a position to help Harry when the great battle to end all battles takes place.
i can see your point there but i just can't see dumbledore asking snape to kill him. it just doesn't make enough sense. i mean snape already had voldemort convinced that he was on their side. why kill dumbledore? it seems that the only reason is that he needed dumbledore out of the way for something. killing dumbledore was probably the thing that would ensure voldemorts continued rise to power. so i think that snape had to want voldemort to rise in power. but why i still can not understand but i don't think he could possibly working for voldemort or dumbledore.

tell me if you can think of anything that would contradict this.
Pray for Sri Lanka.
Lord Sesshoumaru
Lord Sesshoumaru
Lord Sesshoumaru

Post by Lord Sesshoumaru »

Iverkid wrote:
map wrote:The great part is that nothing is ever as it seems. That said, I do believe Dumbledore is dead and Snape is good. I do believe it was planned. Dumbledore knew what was going on all the time, so I could have had time to plan what looked like a double cross. This way Snape will be in a position to help Harry when the great battle to end all battles takes place.
i can see your point there but i just can't see dumbledore asking snape to kill him. it just doesn't make enough sense. i mean snape already had voldemort convinced that he was on their side. why kill dumbledore? it seems that the only reason is that he needed dumbledore out of the way for something. killing dumbledore was probably the thing that would ensure voldemorts continued rise to power. so i think that snape had to want voldemort to rise in power. but why i still can not understand but i don't think he could possibly working for voldemort or dumbledore.

tell me if you can think of anything that would contradict this.
OK I know I said I left but alas I'm thinking about comming back.

Now here's my two cents on Snape. One thing you guys are forgetting is that if you would recall chapter one of HBP then you will remember that oh what was it called...........oaith thingy that Snape made with Draco's mother. He Promised her that he would help Malfoy carry out the task no matter what. So with that being said it would leave room for the "Good guy theroy" but yet as always their is the other side of the coin. What if Snape really didnt care about Dumbledoor, what if he did want to kill him.

I would say that the scales are quite well balanced. Their is reasonable evidence that he is with the Order also reasonable evidence that he is with He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. I am honestly am inclined to believe that Snape is with He-who-must-not-be-named. Thats just my opinion though.

Now in another one of my opinion's in book 7 we will see a lot of older charecter's making their last aparence (like Gildaroy Lockheart for example). Along with a major battle between at lest Malfoy, Snape and of corse Voldamort.

Lord Sesshoumaru
Iverkid
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Iverkid »

i still think that he can't fully be working for he-who-must-not-be-named because of several reasons, one of which is what i said above: he stopped voldemort from getting the prophecy in book five, a prophecy that could have helped ensure His rise to power. it just doesn't make sense that he would be w/ volde-... um... he-who-must-not-be-named. that is my view of things.
Pray for Sri Lanka.
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

As I said I'm writing an editoral for one of the fansites about Snape, if you want a copy of it when it's done. Using communication theory analyzing Snape's actions so far in the series focusing mostly on "Spinner's End" because that's where we Snape without the 'Harry Filter". If you would like a copy of it when it's done I'd me more then happy to email it or something.
Lord Sesshoumaru
Lord Sesshoumaru
Lord Sesshoumaru

dawningoftime wrote:As I said I'm writing an editoral for one of the fansites about Snape, if you want a copy of it when it's done. Using communication theory analyzing Snape's actions so far in the series focusing mostly on "Spinner's End" because that's where we Snape without the 'Harry Filter". If you would like a copy of it when it's done I'd me more then happy to email it or something.
Sounds interesting I'll take one.

Lord Sesshoumaru
Iverkid
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Iverkid »

dawningoftime wrote:As I said I'm writing an editoral for one of the fansites about Snape, if you want a copy of it when it's done. Using communication theory analyzing Snape's actions so far in the series focusing mostly on "Spinner's End" because that's where we Snape without the 'Harry Filter". If you would like a copy of it when it's done I'd me more then happy to email it or something.
yes i would be very glad to have one. email is [email protected]. thanx.
Iverkid
Pray for Sri Lanka.
Joni_Slade
Pilgrim

Post by Joni_Slade »

dawningoftime wrote:As I said I'm writing an editoral for one of the fansites about Snape, if you want a copy of it when it's done.
That sounds way cool.

Good points, all. Here's my take. Evidence-wise, the scales could plausibly tip either way. However, I don't think J.K. Rowling would make Snape evil. What's the point of a greasy-haired, hook-nosed, thoroughly unpleasant person who Harry has never trusted turning out to have been eeeevil all along? What is the literary point of that? What is she trying to teach us readers--that people who seem evil always are? That there is nothing more than the surface? There would simply be no point to Snape's being evil.

I think his story is one of redemption. I believe he is Dumbledore's man through and through. Dumbledore is the anti-Voldemort. Voldemort fears death above anything. Therefore, Dumbledore accepts death fearlessly. In any case, Snape had made the vow. Notice how he pulls back before agreeing to the final bit of the vow, how he will carry out Draco's task if Draco can't? He didn't agree to that beforehand, but during the vowmaking process, Narcissa springs it on him. He can't back out now without drawing suspicion. So he makes the vow.

Which means that either he or Dumbledore dies. Which one is more important to the Order at this point? Without question, Snape is more valuable. He is the only Order member who can access Voldemort's plans. That might be reason enough for Dumbledore to agree to sacrifice himself. That look of hatred and loathing Snape gave him? He's hating Dumbledore for making him do this--he has to kill the only person who truly respects, trusts, and loves him. This is why he gets so angry at Harry when Harry calls him a coward--Snape was the only member of the Order who could have done what was needed. Frankly, I think Snape posesses enough self-loathing that he'd preferred to let himself die from the curse. (Note the argument Hagrid reports between Snape and Dumbledore--I think it was about this.) But Dumbledore told him to do it--Snape was to go on and be at Voldemort's right hand.

There's a really great essay here which points out that, according to everything Dumbledore stands for, he would never beg Snape for his life. When he appears to be doing so, he's actually begging Snape not to back down. If Snape doesn't kill him, Snape dies.

But that's just the interpretation I prefer--it means a lot more to me than, "Ooer, lookit, the eeevil looking guy is indeed eeevil." If that's the case, I've overestimated JKR all along. There is nothing cool about that, as far as I can see.

Another possibility is the Snape-is-on-Snape's side theory. He's been playing both ends against the middle, and what have you. Again, it's not as interesting to me as his being a good guy.
Lord Sesshoumaru
Lord Sesshoumaru
Lord Sesshoumaru

you bring up quite a bit of interesting points. I had completly forgotten about the argument scene.

Lord Sesshoumaru
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

for anyone else who's interested I've finished my editorial on Snape. So if anyone else who wants a copy just let me know.
Iverkid
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Iverkid »

dawningoftime wrote:for anyone else who's interested I've finished my editorial on Snape. So if anyone else who wants a copy just let me know.
yes plz send me one, [email protected] or pm me
Iverkid
Pray for Sri Lanka.
ichthuz
My posts are revolutionary

Post by ichthuz »

i want it....also i think snape is evil...ive always hated him when iverkid got the book i was like. do u learn aboout snape!?!?!? then i boroowd it.
[email protected]

i also will create a new topic about my suspicions about book7
Whoever voted for the Continental Breakfast Club should be taken outside and bea-- um.... shaken. - Continental Admiral
Iverkid
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Iverkid »

cool
Pray for Sri Lanka.
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

I would appreciate any and all feedback from the editorial.
ichthuz
My posts are revolutionary

Post by ichthuz »

lol actually i only read like 2 paragraphs..i was in a rush..ill read and critiquw...ugh speling
Whoever voted for the Continental Breakfast Club should be taken outside and bea-- um.... shaken. - Continental Admiral